Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

inside nose is dry
inside nose is dry
when the inside of the nose is dry, is it better to have the humidifier temperature lower or higher? In other words, is it better to have the temperature at 70 rather than 79 as an example?
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: inside nose is dry
Higher. Warm air can hold more water than cold air. That is why a hot and humid day is no where near the same as a cold and humid day. In the summer months it is the relative humidity (moisture relative to the temperature) that is the thing that makes you feel miserable outside. In the winter, the relative humidity can be high, but your skin will still dry out (cold air cannot hold as much water as warm air).
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll want to increase the humidity. I like Ayr saline nasal gel when I get dryness and irritation, which is rare.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2015, 10:18 PM)me50 Wrote: when the inside of the nose is dry, is it better to have the humidifier temperature lower or higher? In other words, is it better to have the temperature at 70 rather than 79 as an example?
thanks

If by "humidifier temperature" you are referring to the heated hose temperature then you would want to turn the temperature down. You do not want to pick up moisture from your nose. On the other hand, with summer ambient temperatures, turning the hose temperature down may have no effect since the air may already be warmer than the setting.

Probably the best thing to do, as truetopath suggested, is simply to turn the humidity up.

Sleep well and keep your nose moisturized,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not familiar with the machines that you are using, but with your machines can you set the temperature separately from the humidity? I have a very, very basic machine and my only choice is to set the humidity "0 to 5" (0 being off), which increases the air temperature. It is hard to understand how you can increase the humidity without increasing the temperature.

In my case, I would like a little more moisture, but the only way I can do that is to increase the temperature which plugs-up my sinuses (summer only). In the winter months (weeks here in Houston LOL), a higher air temperature is fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 12:39 PM)sptrout Wrote: It is hard to understand how you can increase the humidity without increasing the temperature.

The amount of water vapour that air can hold depends on it's temperature. The warmer the air the more water vapour it can hold.

Atmospheric humidity is measured by "Relative Humidity", which is a percentage of how much water vapour is in the air compared to what it could actually hold at that temperature. So if at a given temperature the air is holding 80% of what it can at that temperature then the "relative humidity" is 80%.

If the total amount of vapour in the air remains constant and the temperature declines, the RH will go up until it reaches 100% after which it will start to precipitate water, or "rain".

So "relative humidity" does not measure the amount of water vapour in the air, but the amount as a ratio of all the water vapour it could hold without raining at that temperature. That means that a given relative humidity applies to a different level of water vapour in the air at different temperatures.

You can increase the humidity of the air at a given temperature as long as the RH is below 100%. If the RH is already at 100% then the only way to get the air to hold more water vapour is indeed to increase it's temperature.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think that is what I said earlier, but not nearly as well. I understand what you are saying, but with my horse & buggy machine the only way I can increase the humidity is to increase the air temperature. Not so with a machine designed since the turn of the century.

If I understand you correctly, with modern machines, they have separate controls for air temperature and humidity; correct? That would sure help me in the summer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 01:12 PM)sptrout Wrote: If I understand you correctly, with modern machines, they have separate controls for air temperature and humidity; correct? That would sure help me in the summer.

Yes, my machine has a heated hose and you can set it's temperature in degrees with one setting and the humidity level with another setting. But the numbers for the humidity run from 0 to 8 which is rather confusing, and I wish I could just tell it to go for a percentage as I'd at least know what the number meant.

Also the heated hose only heats, it does not cool. So if I set it's temp to 20 degrees C and the air in the room is at 25 degrees, then 25 degrees is what I get.

So I think they could do some improving there.

It also has an "automatic" setting where it does what it thinks best, whatever that might be.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 11:29 AM)truetopath Wrote: You'll want to increase the humidity. I like Ayr saline nasal gel when I get dryness and irritation, which is rare.

it is at 4 and I do use Ayr

thanks for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 01:26 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 01:12 PM)sptrout Wrote: If I understand you correctly, with modern machines, they have separate controls for air temperature and humidity; correct? That would sure help me in the summer.

Yes, my machine has a heated hose and you can set it's temperature in degrees with one setting and the humidity level with another setting. But the numbers for the humidity run from 0 to 8 which is rather confusing, and I wish I could just tell it to go for a percentage as I'd at least know what the number meant.

Also the heated hose only heats, it does not cool. So if I set it's temp to 20 degrees C and the air in the room is at 25 degrees, then 25 degrees is what I get.

So I think they could do some improving there.

It also has an "automatic" setting where it does what it thinks best, whatever that might be.

Thank you for the education of modern machines. I really want to get a better CPAP machine this year. I kind of got rolled into buying the piece of crap I have by the sleep study lab and the DME. I knew nothing about CPAP machines and the DME only sold one type. Over the past four months I have learned so much, including how much I got screwed, that I would have never bought the machine that I did. Since my insurance does not cover DME equipment, or my deductible is so high (thank you ObamaCare) I do not remember which one was the main problem, I have to pay 100% for any hardware. Funny, but my DME said that she would give me a deal since my insurance would not pay for anything. She said that they charge non-insurance patients 1/2 what they charge insurance companies (reduces their paperwork she added), so I got a 1/2 price deal! What a deal, after checking online sites, I found that I still paid almost three times what I would have for the same equipment.

I wanted a smaller machine anyway (mine is the size of two loaves of bread) so I was planning on buying a much better machine later this year. May decide to move that timetable up some.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 647 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.