Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Decreasing effectiveness?
Decreasing effectiveness?
Hi, I'm new here, and wondering if others have had an experience similar to the one I'm having now. I've had a BiPap for about 4 years now. Until recently it made all the difference in the quality of my sleep and my life, but in the past couple of months I've been jerking awake at night and slogging groggily through the days the way I used to before I was diagnosed and started using BiPap. First thought was "leaking mask." Got a new one, no improvement. Now my 3 thoughts are: a) has my apnea gotten markedly worse? b) is my machine growing old and dying? or c) has something happened to lower the settings? (I'm awaiting an email from Admin with instructions about how to read my machine's settings.) A fourth possibility: Shortly before I started noticing this problem, I was aware of having inadvertently pressed the "Bi-Flex" button instead of the off-button. (This is easy to do, especially in the middle of the night - the two buttons are identical & right next to one.) I realize I have no idea what that Bi-Flex does. Could pushing it change the pressure in any way or cause other problems? Thanks for any insights or thoughts on this!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Decreasing effectiveness?
Hi wordfreek,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The manual for your machine is available by direct download ... see section two (Respironics BiPAP Auto M Series)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

BiPAP Auto M Series with Bi-Flex
http://bipapautomseries.respironics.com/
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2013, 09:57 PM)wordfreek Wrote: I realize I have no idea what that Bi-Flex does. Could pushing it change the pressure in any way or cause other problems?

Bi-Flex lowers the pressure when you exhale. It's not likely that this setting would make much of a difference, but it is possible. I guess you don't know what it was set at before? If you could find out from whoever supplied the machine it may help.

At the very least I would recommend that you learn a bit more about your machine. Find out what pressures it's set at, and see if you can get some software, such as SleepyHead, and take a look at your data.

Can you check with your doctor or equipment supplier and see if they can take a look at your data and see if there have been any changes in the effectiveness of your therapy?

For example, if you've had an increase in your AHI that might explain your symptoms. Or if your mask has started leaking for some reason. A quick look at your data would answer these questions.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Bi-Flex lowers the pressure when you exhale. It's not likely that this setting would make much of a difference, but it is possible. I guess you don't know what it was set at before? ...

... Find out what pressures it's set at, and see if you can get some software, such as SleepyHead, and take a look at your data.

Can you check with your doctor or equipment supplier and see if they can take a look at your data and see if there have been any changes in the effectiveness of your therapy?

For example, if you've had an increase in your AHI that might explain your symptoms. Or if your mask has started leaking for some reason. A quick look at your data would answer these questions.

Thanks, this is very helpful. My problem is that I would now have to pay out of pocket and can't afford to; prior to this year, I had decent medical insurance and was able to regularly see the doctor who prescribed the BiPap, who kept tabs on my readings (although he was uninterested in explaining anything to me and was - as has been mentioned by others on this board - more focused on monitoring compliance than on anything else). I do have information about what the settings are supposed to be, but am not clear which of those numbers would pertain to the Bi-Flex and don't know (yet) how to find out what my current settings are. (Working on figuring that out- bless this forum!)

Checking with the equipment supplier is a excellent idea. They're a long drive from where I live, so I normally just get my replacement supplies sent in the mail, but I could see about going down there. And I'll look into Sleepyhead. I didn't even know there was such a thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead does not support M series machines, you need Encore Pro software and smart card reader to copy data from smart card to your computer. your machines display AHI and leak data on the screen
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2013, 11:41 PM)zonk Wrote: SleepyHead does not support M series machines, you need Encore Pro software and smart card reader to copy data from smart card to your computer. your machines display AHI and leak data on the screen

Alas, I'm a Mac user and it appears that Encore Pro is only compatible with Windows. But good to know about the AHI and leak-data display. I'll work at figuring out how to view that.
Post Reply Post Reply
wordfreek, welcome, just another thought, you could mail your simcard to them and get them to mail it straight back to you.
The CPAP's store the data in there memory anyway and then update the cards when they are inserted back in the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, yes machines DO lose pressure when they age, which is why normally there are checked once a year and replaced every five to seven years,, but three years is usually not enough time for that. Secondly, Bi-Pap shouldn't be enough to make a difference. Since you cannot read out your data (well, Mac is no hindrance, there is software to allow you to run windows programs in a Mac) you must look at the display read out each day for your AHI and note it for reference to see if there is a trend. However, out of pocket or not, your description of your problem sounds like you need to see a professional, one way or another.

If you have gained weight or are indulging in habits that precipitate apnoea events (drinking, drugs, smoking, certain medications, etc), any of these could cause a set back and worsen your condition, requiring a re evaluation of your therapy method. Sometimes the problem can be quite simple (sleeping on your back can cause a worsening of the apnoea symptoms for some people, mask or not) or drinking mucous producing products (milk, etc) before bed time (or at any time). So you need to look at all the different factors that could be involved. But if "environmental" factors are not the cause, then get thee back to thine doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2013, 02:09 AM)Tez62 Wrote: wordfreek, welcome, just another thought, you could mail your simcard to them and get them to mail it straight back to you.
The CPAP's store the data in there memory anyway and then update the cards when they are inserted back in the machine.

Wow, smart machines. i'll check into doing it that way. Saves time and gas and aggravation. Thanks for the tip.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Advice on Effectiveness of Bipap Air Curve 10 ST-A cmpman1974 2 766 02-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [CPAP] Declining Effectiveness / Interpreting OSCAR chad0 10 789 01-20-2023, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tightness of cervical collar and effectiveness? How tight should it be? CorruptAlligator 1 692 06-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Ventilation Decreasing Over Time Geer1 14 1,766 08-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  Questions regarding ASV use and effectiveness (new sleep study?) themetnut 4 1,045 07-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Decreasing noise level from CPAP drmaestro 10 1,626 05-27-2020, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Thoughts on mouth breathing and xPAP effectiveness? MNsleeplessnights 14 1,922 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Last Post: 70sSanO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.