Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Disabling communications on DS2?
Disabling communications on DS2?
Hello, all,

Yesterday, I received the Philips Respironics Dreamstaion 2 as a replacement for my recalled Dreamstation.  I've just unpacked it and haven't plugged it in so far.

I'm concerned because it seems to have a cell phone built in, that can't be disabled. On my original Dreamstation, I removed the WiFi modem that connected my machine to the Internet, after my Durable Medical Equipment dealer, changed my prescription on the CPAP erroneously. Ever since then, I've managed the CPAP just fine on my own. I no longer have any relationship with any DME dealer.

The Dreamstation 2 doesn't seem to have a WiFi modem, but seems to have a cellular connection. Is this correct? Can it be disabled? I haven't even powered up the DS2 yet.

Also, can anyone tell me if the DS2 encrypts the readings on the SD card and makes OSCAR unusable? I really value the OSCAR reports, and don't want to lose them.

If I can't disable the communications, or if the data is encrypted, I'll have to think twice about accepting the DS2, and may hold out for another model or manufacturer. I'm close to the 5 year period where I can get a new CPAP on my insurance, and may want to got that route.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance.

-Kevin
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Disabling communications on DS2?
I don't know about the cellular modem... it probably can be disconnected if you open the box...

The data on the SD card is indeed encrypted, and OSCAR version 1.4.0 decrypts it and presents all the usual information. Some members of the OSCAR team worked really hard to make that possible, so kudos to them.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a replacement DS2 since Oct 2021. When I powered the DS2 on the settings I had on my DS1 were uploaded to the DS2 via the cellular modem (yours may respond differently on power up since you don't have a DME any longer). In the first few months I had the DS2 I started tweaking the setting away from the original prescription and neither my DME or Respironics has attempted to change the setting back to my original prescription. If you no longer have a DME I wouldn't think it likely that Respironics would change the settings. If you're a regular user of OSCAR, the DS2 loads data into just like the DS1 did with the latest version and it would be easy to see if someone messed with the settings. The DS2 cell modem is likely a chip soldered to the circuit board and disabling would require knowledge of what connections did what and the ability to unsolder or cut circuit board traces. This of course would likely void the warranty. Not sure if Respironics would ever do it, but the cellular connection could be used to upgrade the DS2's firmware for bug fixes and functional improvements.
Post Reply Post Reply
@stratcat48 and @pholynyk, thank you both for your responses.

I'm one of those privacy nuts who doesn't like to share any information, and especially medical information, with anyone who doesn't absolutely need it. Yeah, I don't see how they could download my settings to me, because, as far as I can tell, my settings haven't been communicated to anyone other than me.

Thanks, again, for your help and advice.

-Kevin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, 
I also have a DS2 that I received from Phillips from the recall. I received it last April 2022. My 5 years will be up on the previous DS1 in December 2023. I called my DME recently and the rep says I can request a new CPAP in December 2023. My 5 years will be up then. I have an annual appointment this summer with my sleep doctor. The rep says that when you see your sleep doctor they can send the prescription to the DME anytime 6 months before the 5 year date and then in some time in December, I would call the DME to check on this order. As far as a sleep study, the rep says it would be up to the sleep doctor to decide if it was needed. Some people that are doing  good on their therapy may not need to do the study. I am going to make sure I request a Airsence 11 AutoSet on the prescription, no substitutions. Then use my Dreamstation 2 as a back up. I also have a Airmini as well. I have had no issues loading my SD card in Oscar. I think you can also change the setting to airplane mode on the DS2. Hope that helps answer your questions. I am doing fine with the Dreamstation 2, although I have set the flex to 2, flex 3 is difficult to breath. You don’t get a true 2 cm of relief on 2. I also have to up my minimum to help take care of the O and H. I found the flow limits reporting higher on the DS2 than the DS1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Airplane mode is an option, but......

From the manual.....
'This setting allows you to turn airplane mode on and off.
Note: Airplane mode will automatically turn off after three days.'

Every three days it would have to be re-enabled.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are mesh type Faraday cages that would block cell signals.
One about the size of a shoebox might work.
It just has to be a mesh/cage and not solid walls, of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(01-29-2023, 06:12 PM)DaveCar Wrote: There are mesh type Faraday cages that would block cell signals.
One about the size of a shoebox might work.
It just has to be a mesh/cage and not solid walls, of course.

Hmm... sleeping with the dog in the metal dog crate would work, right? Smile 

Seriously, these micro-cell units are a pest. I looked it up, they are cheap, cheap, and found everywhere, like automotive telemetry.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  FDA issues Safety Communications on ozone and UV cleaners Gideon 4 1,981 02-28-2020, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Melman
  Pictures Needed to Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 jakeconnor 2 1,289 11-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.