Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Discoloration in Nuance Gel Pillows?
When purchasing my equipment about 3 months ago, the supplier suggested that one advantage of the Respironics Nuance Gel Pillows was that it began to discolor when it needed replacing, "just like your toothbrush loses color".

Just wondering if anybody else has heard of, or experienced this.

Thanks in advance!
I have noticed that they aren't as blue. But then I can't remember how blue they were in the first place.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Yes i wondered about that too. Mine seem to be getting a yellowish tinge as well. I suppose it's time to replace them. They're almost three months old.

Did you ever resolve that issue with your gear falling apart after washing?
No, I didn't.

I was due for a mask and decided to try the Airfit P10. Not sure I like it just yet. I may go back to the Nuance. I have a few days to decide. If I do go back to the Nuance, I'll not get the "Pro" version. Those gel pads would just get too hot this summer.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Let me know how you like the Airfit P10. I have the non "pro" version of the Nuance, and I do like it, but I'm afraid I'm developing the same issue as you with the back head strap, although it's not falling apart yet! Nor have I developed any gel leaks.

Whoops! I just noticed your post on "Nuance vs. Airfit". Maybe I'd better read that one! In the meantime, have you come to any conclusion on which you like best?

EDIT: Getting old does indeed stink! And I just finished the other post and noted your conlcusion that it's back to the Nuance. Now if only they could address that back strap issue. Mine is looking black and getting spongy after washing.
Exactly! That's what happened with mine! The rest of the headgear looks nice and clean but that inside of the back strap looks nasty.

What I will do the next time is just not wash that part. Not sure how I will do that exactly. But the two nights I've been back on the Nuance, I've slept much better and not gotten the Elbow Alarm at all. I really like this mask.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Let me know if you figure out how to wash everything but the strap. Good luck!
Angry 
I have experience the same issue after a few months. Not using very hot water seems to help. My main issue is that this mask falls apart after about 5 months. Gel pads fall off...head strap gets sticky, etc...and no place to complain at Respironics...
Yes, the Pro version doesn't seem to last long at all. My Pro one started falling apart like you said at about the 4 or 5 month mark.

I have the "non-Pro" one now and that back strap got nasty looking much faster. I'm going to give it one more try than sadly, I will have to switch masks again.

The P10 did not work for me. I couldn't stand it.

So I'm not sure what I will try next if the Nuance doesn't work out.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Back when I used the Respironics Comfort Classic mask, the forehead gel pad would start out light golden tinged, like, say Coors Light. Over time, it would turn a darker yellow and then start into amber bock hues. Then it would rip.

OMM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using nasal pillows with cold sores in nose? sleepytimegal 7 169 01-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 12 601 12-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [split] Nuance question parkerdt 2 230 11-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Last Post: parkerdt
Question AHI Higher AFter Switch from Nasal Pillows to Full Mask Sleepypokey 8 633 10-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Looking for Recommendations on Lightweight *Nasal* Mask (no pillows) Dreams of Green 16 907 10-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Last Post: TheDuke
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 21 1,999 10-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Opus 360 Nasal Pillows holden4th 1 238 09-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Last Post: cate1898