Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Disconcerting pressure pulses between breaths on Dreamstation Pro
RE: Disconcerting pressure pulses between breaths on Dreamstation Pro
John, your provider/DME has given you a brick! To be blunt, it is a piece of crap!!! You are probably being rorted.

Complain about it and ask for an Auto machine. Based on what it is doing to you the grounds are there. You are the patient, the insurance is yours and you have the right to demand it. If not, vote with your feet. There are plenty of posts here about people who have done just that.

The only time I experienced the pressure pulses was initially with my loaner S9 Auto and playing with pressure settings to get my best nights sleep meant that this problem went away.
Post Reply Post Reply
The REMStar 60 Pro (Model/Ref: 461) that I'm using does generate 'pressure pulse' events (though I can't say I've noticed them, like you the majority seem to be when I'm awake).

It does generate data that I load into SleepyHead, though it doesn't record 'Flow Limitation' events (believe only the REMtar 60 auto machines do).

HZone
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies guys, they're much appreciated. It seems then that many models of CPAP machine do generate pressure pulses and record event data.

I had a terrible night again last night because of the pressure pulses which kept kicking in every time I was about to nod off. Consequently, I didn't get to sleep until nearly 6am when I finally ripped the mask off and hurled it across the room.

So, I'm definitely going to get another machine somehow. I just need to decide which one. I only need the most basic of models. My logic is that, if a particular model doesn't record data, it doesn't need to distinguish between CA and OA events and so wouldn't need to generate these troublesome pressure pulses. (That's the way I think my old REMStar M series machine worked.) I just want something similar to that. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you change the mode to cpap only ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have already done that, but I appreciate the suggestion.

When I first tried standard CPAP mode (for 5 mins while sitting at my desk) I thought it made a difference, but after trying it while lying down and dropping off to sleep, it is actually just as bad as the C-Check mode. Clearly the pulses are being generated in response to flow-limiting events which occur just as I'm about to fall asleep, and these wake me up with a jolt.

I'm now looking for a machine that doesn't generate such pulses. I've made a list of four candidates, but the info available online doesn't always make it clear whether, or not, they generate pressure pulses. My list of candidates is:

REMstar SE
DeVilbiss Sleep Cube Standard (aka Intellipap)
BMC RESmart
ResMed AirStart 10
Dreamstar Intro Evolve

If anyone knows anything about these machines (especially: use of pressure pulses; whether event data is stored; and tube diameter), I'd be very grateful your advice.

Thanks John
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 06:51 AM)holden4th Wrote: John, your provider/DME has given you a brick! To be blunt, it is a piece of crap!!!

Are you saying that the DreamStation Pro is a brick? Or are you saying that it's a "brick" for what John is wanting?

I'm new to CPAP (just received my DreamStation Pro yesterday, and used it for the first time last night). If I got a brick, I want to make sure I return it and get a better machine. From my research here, I thought a DreamStation Pro (400) or Auto (500) were A-Okay.

John - I hope you get this figured out. That sounds annoying for you. Thankfully I am new enough to this CPAP stuff that I don't quite even know what you're experiencing. Bonne chance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 09:13 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 06:51 AM)holden4th Wrote: John, your provider/DME has given you a brick! To be blunt, it is a piece of crap!!!

Are you saying that the DreamStation Pro is a brick? Or are you saying that it's a "brick" for what John is wanting?

I'm new to CPAP (just received my DreamStation Pro yesterday, and used it for the first time last night). If I got a brick, I want to make sure I return it and get a better machine. From my research here, I thought a DreamStation Pro (400) or Auto (500) were A-Okay.

John - I hope you get this figured out. That sounds annoying for you. Thankfully I am new enough to this CPAP stuff that I don't quite even know what you're experiencing. Bonne chance.

When starting PAP therapy you need a machine that will record more than just basic data and one that will allow you to find the best pressure range for your therapy. John's is a brick in that it's a constant pressure machine. If it's not working for him (which it doesn't appear to be) then all he can do is adjust pressure up and down until he eventually gets there. This could take a long time. An auto machine will allow you to set a pressure range and use the data to dial into something close to what he needs. The pressure data from an auto machine makes this process so much quicker.

I can't understand why manufacturers still make constant pressure machines. Any Auto machine can be set to constant pressure if you wish.

Finally, if your Pro is working for you then by all means keep it. if not, then go auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 08:28 PM)Johnbrooking Wrote: Yes, I have already done that, but I appreciate the suggestion.

When I first tried standard CPAP mode (for 5 mins while sitting at my desk) I thought it made a difference, but after trying it while lying down and dropping off to sleep, it is actually just as bad as the C-Check mode. Clearly the pulses are being generated in response to flow-limiting events which occur just as I'm about to fall asleep, and these wake me up with a jolt.

I'm now looking for a machine that doesn't generate such pulses. I've made a list of four candidates, but the info available online doesn't always make it clear whether, or not, they generate pressure pulses. My list of candidates is:

REMstar SE
DeVilbiss Sleep Cube Standard (aka Intellipap)
BMC RESmart
ResMed AirStart 10
Dreamstar Intro Evolve

If anyone knows anything about these machines (especially: use of pressure pulses; whether event data is stored; and tube diameter), I'd be very grateful your advice.

Thanks John

Hello John

Two approaches. If you have insurance cover then ignore all of the machines you've listed. You really need to go auto and one of these four should suffice.

Respironics machines

Dreamstation Auto CPAP - the latest in the series

Remstar auto system one 60 series 560. The precursor to the Dreamstation and a lot cheaper. It works just as well - I've got one and love it.

Resmed Machines

Airsense 10 Autoset. The latest from Resmed

Resmed S9 Auto - the previous version which works just as well as it's newer sibling. Much cheaper as it's a superseded model.

Whatever you do, make sure you get an auto machine.

Now if you are not using insurance then you might like to look at the offerings from Supplier #2 in the suppliers list at the top of this page.

Hope this helps

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe there seems to be some confusion as to what a "brick" is.

What we label as a "brick" here on the forum is a machine that cannot give you any usable data besides AHI, and hours of use.

The DreamStation Pro is not a "brick". It is a manual (straight pressure) Cpap machine. It is very capable of providing detailed data. What it is "not" is an Auto machine.

Just because a machine is a straight pressure Cpap machine does not make it a brick.

And I agree everyone should be automatically be given an Auto Cpap, but unless your Doctor specifically writes a script for Auto Cpap, then alot of DME's will give you a Cpap instead of an Apap.
They make more money that way even though insurance will pay the same whether it is a cpap or apap.

Here is a link that shows what machines are Apap, Cpap, and which to avoid "bricks."
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Example: The new ResMed AirStart is a "brick."

As far as pressure pulses go, I think most newer machines do this. Can't find much information on this. But this is a way for the machine to test your airway for collapse.
Most folk don't notice these.

I will say that I use a P10 pillow mask and never feel the pulses although I see them on SleepyHead. The few times I switched to a Nasal mask, I occasionally felt pressure pulses.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2017, 05:07 AM)holden4th Wrote:
(01-14-2017, 09:13 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:

When starting PAP therapy you need a machine that will record more than just basic data and one that will allow you to find the best pressure range for your therapy. John's is a brick in that it's a constant pressure machine. If it's not working for him (which it doesn't appear to be) then all he can do is adjust pressure up and down until he eventually gets there.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

(01-15-2017, 08:52 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I believe there seems to be some confusion as to what a "brick" is.

What we label as a "brick" here on the forum is a machine that cannot give you any usable data besides AHI, and hours of use.

The DreamStation Pro is not a "brick". It is a manual (straight pressure) Cpap machine. It is very capable of providing detailed data. What it is "not" is an Auto machine.

Okay. Very good. I probably don't need an auto, since my pressure setting is so low.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 834 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,240 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,434 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 901 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 286 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,323 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 973 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.