Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do You Preheat?
This poll is closed.
No
67.39%
31 67.39%
Yes, < 1 minute
2.17%
1 2.17%
Yes, < 5 minutes
6.52%
3 6.52%
Yes, < 5 minutes
23.91%
11 23.91%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Equipment] Do You Preheat?
RE: Do You Preheat?
Yuck. 't would make it so I couldn't breathe.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I only use the humidifier now when I have the cold. As such, I not only use warm water to start with, but also preheat as well. Starting with cold air initiates the problems (coughs) I wish to avoid.

Other than that, when I was trying the setup out, I actually enjoyed cold air coming through when I'm falling off to sleep...
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
While in the summer I prefer the cool air to start off with when falling asleep, so no preheating, when the weather turns a little nippy up here in the winter, I'm thinking it might be nice to start off warm, so that's why I've been toying with preheating.

However, if you look at the poll, I've answered that I usually preheat less than one minute, which I'm pretty sure accomplishes just about nothing and makes little more than a negligible difference. This is not done by design or intentionally, but simply because I don't remember to fire it up until the last minute. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Not much anymore since I learned on ApneaBoard that preheat and cool down are part of total run hours. Keep wear and tear to a minimum. In morning I shut down machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did when I first started CPAP'ing, but now I just throw the mask on at full power so I can get that sweet, sweet air.
Post Reply Post Reply
After toying with preheating most of the winter, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really make a difference, for me anyway. Granted, I've often only remembered to start it only 10 minutes or so before bedtime, so I don't know if that's enough to be effective, but even when I've started preheating a good 20 or 30 minutes beforehand, I can't really say the difference is very perceptible.

I may continue preheating, but probably not, and the main thing is that the humidifier and the heated tubing work throughout the night, which is not only a comfort feature and may prevent rainout, but I do feel my sinuses have cleared up since I began CPAP, my nose is less dry in the morning, I've had much fewer and less severe colds and allergy symptoms Cold , and all this even though I've discontinued use of the bedroom humidifier I used to use every winter to alleviate those symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still preheat sometimes, maybe 50% of the time. On the run timer thing: IMO unless I'm mistaken, the cool down period counts but not the warm up. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I pull the hose off and preheat about 30 min before. Just before sleeping I let it preheat with the hose on for about 5 minute. If I have time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never pre-heated with my Resmed A10. I actually enjoy the cool air starting out. I do need the heat for the humidity. If I didn't, I would just stay on cool all night.

v/r
fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's totally a comfort preference.

I've CPAPed in different states, in different climates, and in vastly different temps. Outside tarp-cabin. Humidity variances. Etc.

I've concluded that - for me - I don't need to preheat unless the room I'm in is cold. When it's cold and I mask-up, the temp of the hose air is just too cold for me... but it does heat up to a comfy level within just a minute or two.

So... really, when it's cold, I just preheat for *any amount of time*, and it's all good.

And when it's not cold... I preheat because I can, if I feel like it, but it doesn't really matter to me.

It can also depend on the temp of the water I put in the humidifier. I use my filter tap water. So if I put in warm water, then it's perfect. If I put in cold water, I'll preheat it. AND I've learned not to put in hot water, because it produces too hot of air for me.

But it all comes down to how you like your air.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 248 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash
  [Equipment] DreamStation Preheat Question(s) websterling 3 1,280 01-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  PR Dreamstation Preheat Mode Missing LBTRS 6 3,657 03-13-2021, 03:41 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.