Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you have a backup XPAP machine?
This poll is closed.
Yes, and I've had to use it at least once.
30.00%
3 30.00%
Yes, but I've never had to use it.
50.00%
5 50.00%
No, I don't have a backup machine.
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Equipment] Do you have a backup XPAP machine and have you ever had to use it?
Do you have a backup XPAP machine and have you ever had to use it?
I'm just wondering how many of you have a backup XPAP machine and also have you ever had to use it?

I'm thinking of getting a backup machine just in case and I'm just wondering what people's experience has been.

-Paul.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do you have a backup XPAP machine and have you ever had to use it?
While I believe it would be a very good idea to have the backup device, I have yet to do so. My biggest issue would be that I don't have the money to do so. Yet that is. My ASV is rather expensive, and although it's only 6 months old, I am aware things do happen where even an almost new machine could break at any time.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have an old- (Got it in 2006-Respironics BIPAP that I had occasion to use when I negligently  started to pack my machine without emptying the water from the humidifier. Not a good idea. The oldie worked fine though I had forgotten how to set the pressures, etc. I searched my file, and found a clinician's manual and got it going.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I have spares for all of the supplies but no spare machine.

I hope to get a spare machine some day but cost is the big factor.

v/r
Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using a resmed Aircurve 10 and have a PRS1 BiPAP Auto backup. I have used it from time to time, just to keep it in circulation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile I'm good. No worries.

I would like to add that if anyone values therapy as much as I do, one night without a machine is unacceptable. I got a PRS1 Auto that I travel with, as an accident or loss is more likely while traveling. The Dreamstation rarely gets moved at home. I got the PRS1 with bonus supplies for $100 on a classifieds website. If something happens to it, it doesn't sting so bad.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a ResMed ASV machine ($$$).  I have a ResMed SP9 for a backup but it is not an ASV machine.  If I need it, I guess I'll set it up as close to the ASV as I can make it.
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually I have two. I don't think I'll need another machine for about 20 years.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I purchased a second Respironics Apap a couple years ago and haven’t used it yet.
Since my original is 3 years old, I’m going to start using the backup for awhile just to rotate.

Seriously thinking of purchasing a ResMed just to see what all the hype is about. I really like the Respironics algorithm, so not sure I would adapt to ResMed’s.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother didn't have a backup machine the first time around. When his machine fell off the nightstand, it took 4 weeks to get it back. He had to sleep sitting up for that entire 4 weeks because most DMEs only provide a loaner of any kind while you are still within your 90 day compliance situation.

I forgot my machine at my sister's home and didn't realize it until I was home (she lives 100 miles away). Fortunately, I had a backup that I bought used (zero hours!) for $125 and it works perfectly. (l originally had an S9 that I would have used as backup, but I sold it after getting another Resmed airsense for Her).

Ok, so maybe you don't want to shell out for a device you may never need (and yes, majority of people never use their backup). In that case, get a copy of your prescription and keep it ready to file with an online retailer. They all ship overnight so the longest you'd be without a machine is 2-3 days (things always go wrong on Saturday night).

If these repair bills succeed in the various legislatures in the US, eventually, there will be a lot of repair places that can access original parts and fix your machine. Right now, there are only 2 or 3 authorized repair dealers in the entire country for Resmed, for instance, so the turnaround time is a pain. In addition, if you are getting Medicare to pay for it, they won't return the machine until the paperwork is all done so that is potentially 4-6 weeks without a machine.

Unless you have D.O.T requirements to fulfill regularly, once you are done with any kind of compliance, switch out and use your backup every 2-3 months for a night or two. This prevents that funny odor you get from unused electronics.

Another option if money is very limited and you can't do without your cpap for any length of time is to file your prescription with this organization. https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpa...p-machine/ They received 5,000 units from Resmed (older models) in 2016. Cost is $100 and it will take about a week to get your machine. These are single pressure units (i.e. no auto units).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 248 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,142 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 565 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,183 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  UPS Battery Backup for CPAP in case of power outage puterwiz82 3 1,677 09-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Br1sleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.