Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Doc/Machine/Mask --- Newly Diagnosed
Doc/Machine/Mask --- Newly Diagnosed
Had sleep test 3 nites ago & tech said would prob need CPAP of some kind.  Wink, wink, nod, nod --- as they cannot give diagnosis.  

Trying to get ahead of curve; don't want some machine & mask just "presented" to me.  I have good insurance who I guess will pay most of it.  My question is: How does all this happen?  Does my doc just assign me equipment, do I get to pick, how is insurance company involved, etc.  I'm not looking for cheap equipment as this is a major event for me (can barely sleep at all, up to urinate 5 - 6 times, etc).  I want good stuff.  Hope you understand; how do I get involved, how does the insurance company get involved, the doctor?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doc/Machine/Mask --- Newly Diagnosed
Hi Snorzz,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Here is some information to help get you started.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-success

You should only accept a fully data capable Auto Cpap.  Be sure your doctor writes the prescription stating that, or the DME may give you what we call a “brick.”  That is a machine that can give you no useful data.

Call your insurance to be sure what if any your share of the cost is.  Don’t take a DME’s word for it.

Your DME should allow you to try a couple different masks.  Ask them what their policy is.  And it’s always a good idea to get a copy of your prescription and sleep study for your records.

I’m sure others will come along with helpful tips.  Ask questions anytime.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's a DME?
Post Reply Post Reply
DME actually stands for durable medical  equipment  but the term is also commonly used to refer to a supplier  of durable  medical  equipment. That is who you will get your equipment from. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
A DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider is a supplier that your insurance contracts with.
They are the ones that usually issue your machine and supplies after they receive a script from your doctor.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snorzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you start CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
No forget it, Durable Medical Equipment supplier.  Just read it in another post.  Sounds like I have to go to a certain supplier, can't just shop around on my on, like Amazon or something?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2017, 07:51 PM)Snorzz Wrote: No forget it, Durable Medical Equipment supplier.  Just read it in another post.  Sounds like I have to go to a certain supplier, can't just shop around on my on, like Amazon or something?

You could shop anywhere, but your insurance may not cover it, or if they do, it will be at a much lower percentage. You can also check out the online suppliers (see top of page.)

If you are self paying, you can shop anywhere.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon or other online provider is a possibility and many on the forum have used them. See the supplier list in the forum headers. It depends on your deductible and costs with your insurance.

Step 1 is to get a full copy of your sleep study and Rx and post here. We ca see what was found and let you know if you need a deeper discussion with your Dr.

in the success link I take you thru the typical steps you go thru in getting your machine and Rx.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Do your research, and tell your sleep doc what you want. They can write up the order in such a way that your request will be met.

Go to the Wiki to find out which machines not to accept and which this board recommends. Write down EXACTLY the wording of the model. IMO get the most sophisticated machine within the parameters the doc sets, since you will have it for 5 years. Stick around here and you’ll make use of every setting, even if just to experiment to get optimal treatment. Your insurance will pay the same price for CPAP/APAP and will try to stick you with the cheapest.

Get familiar with your face so you can come up with a short list of masks to try on. Go to Supplier #1 to get comparative visuals.

Start looking up DME’s near you. You could Google “medical equipment suppliers”.

Update here when it becomes clear whether you’ll be doing CPAP/APAP, BPAP or ASV, so you can get follow up equipment advice.

Look at newbies’ posts with SleepyHead charts; that way, you can get a jumpstart on some of the data categories that reflect sleep disordered breathing events.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 398 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 389 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 286 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 703 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.