Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Doc won't prescribe the CPAP I want
RE: Doc won't prescribe the CPAP I want
(10-25-2015, 05:04 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 12:30 PM)grumbledore Wrote: The Journey begins...
Thanks
This is the first step along the journey, thousand more steps to go
Good luck

Yeah, that's what I figured. So y'all can count on me to ask a thousand more questions! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 05:55 PM)bwexler Wrote: Congratulations on your success!

I would still stop in to the old doc's office and demand my free copy of my prescription and my sleep report in full detail with all pages. I would be sure to bring my stadium voice, so anyone in or near the building would be aware of my request and my dissatisfaction with the doc and his staff.
I would also request a form to file a complaint with the state medical board. (I know the doc won't have one)
I would want to ensure my recertification as butt head.

Thank you! Yes, you're right, I do need to do that.
Some medical folks told my wife that I should file a complaint; I've searched on-line, but haven't yet found the form to do that.
For the moment, I'm just a butthead-in-training. Wink
(10-25-2015, 07:11 PM)cate1898 Wrote: I guess it's now safe to extend my congrats to you grumbledore!!!

Thumbs-up-2 Banana

Yes, yes it is. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 08:39 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Tell the doc you dont want chapter and verse, just your diagnosis and prescription.
I got everything including the study itself for nothing, but some docs buck on that when the will just print out the prescription.
Id have personally paid the 20 bucks to be abe to get insurance to cover.

Good thoughts Ghost. I am actually willing to fork over the $20. I didn't try asking for just the diagnosis and prescription, though. Even then, I'm sure that the process will be the same: I was told to stop by the local office between 12:30 and 5pm Mondays only, fill out a request ('cause the records are kept at the main office), then come back the following Monday to pick them up, that is IF the doc agrees to my request. I was getting impatient and had a suspicion that a 10 day wait (from the time I called) would net me no copies and another round of excuses from them. I need to head to their main office (in a different town) and sort this out in my stadium voice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am actually willing to fork over the $20. I didn't try asking for just the diagnosis and prescription, though. Even then, I'm sure that the process will be the same: I was told to stop by the local office between 12:30 and 5pm Mondays only, fill out a request ('cause the records are kept at the main office), then come back the following Monday to pick them up, that is IF the doc agrees to my request. I was getting impatient and had a suspicion that a 10 day wait (from the time I called) would net me no copies and another round of excuses from them. I need to head to their main office (in a different town) and sort this out in my stadium voice.

I'm sorry you have to go through all this! As others have mentioned, you are entitled to a copy of your script as well as the results of your sleep study (so that redoing it won't be necessary). And yes, bring your stadium voice! Your doctor is an i***t! I do hope you file a formal complaint -- she deserves it. She more than earned it! I've heard stories like yours many times, though I know that won't make you feel any better.

Let us know how this goes... in the meantime, I'll keep munching on my Eat-popcorn hoping to hear only good news from you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well she ,the doc, has no choice but to agree. Your acess to copies of your medical records are your right, legally.
You might have to fill out a release, pay a ptrinting fee, but you can get all your medical records and there is didly the doc has to say anout it. Any waiting for her to agree us just her pulling your chain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Don't know if this has been posted before...My primary doc (who I never see) has gone "paperless. They use -MyQuest for reporting....great...every lab report that the NP gets on me goes there. Cost me $10.00 to let the the reports,one time fee, but I can see and down load all reports for free now...weeeeeeeee ! Bigwink
Hopes this helps someone...
BTW...I can send them questions or info can they can't say I didn't contact them ! Have day, time stamp on the emails...Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely get a copy of your records, even if it costs you $20. I don't recommend the stadium voice, they CAN kick you out for disturbing the peace. You paid for, and have a legal right to access to your medical records, and your insurance likely won't want to pay for you to get a test elsewhere.

Get them, so when you carry on elsewhere, you have that baseline that you've already payed for. Just explain politely, the doctor doesn't want to work with you with modern equipment, so you want to take your business elsewhere. you have a legal right to your records, so you want them to take elsewhere.

Maybe ask the next place specifically if they support the resmed auto 10, as it's the unit you are using. (I'm sitting here really wishing I'd asked, as I go in for an unknown next tuesday!, probably going to be in your same position in about a week!)

--Alex
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the good advice awoodby. I need to get back with them and follow this through. Good luck with yours!
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is an older thread, But I am going to chime in here, as I deal with records requests all day long at my current job. If anyone is having a problem getting your records (and being charged for them) have your primary care provider call the office, and ask for the information to be sent to them on the basis of "continuity of care" and continuation purposes. The Sleep doc cant charge another doctors office to get copies of anything!
I have had to do this for a few mammogram patients especially because the office required a patient to walk in to sign the paperwork, yet the patient now lives across the country. So, Just a heads up to anyone fighting with this.
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to convince my Dr to prescribe an Auto BiPAP MADAwake 13 1,654 12-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: MADAwake
  Friend: "Doc refused to prescribe sleep study.." OneSnorer 29 3,980 12-24-2018, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [Equipment] How do Drs decide which machine model to prescribe Sparkle 5 2,769 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Mr. Van Winkle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.