Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Does Resmed (or anyone else) routinely test plastics for outgassing?
Does Resmed (or anyone else) routinely test plastics for outgassing?
My dad is using his Aircurve 10 vAuto (BiPAP) for the first time tonight. A plastic smell is originating in the machine and pumping through the hose into his mask.  I'm very concerned about outgassing and what he's breathing in. Does this stuff get tested?  Is the data available? With consumer protection limited, is anyone monitoring this?

We also had to return an F30 cushion that I suspect may have been a knock off as it smelled of a bad plastic odor while the previous cushions (two of them) had no discernible odor at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does Resmed (or anyone else) routinely test plastics for outgassing?
It's common for new equipment to have that "new car" smell, however it passes quickly. I don't know what testing is performed on new equipment fresh out of the packaging, however testing is performed. Some people are sensitive to the smells, and they can be significantly reduced by washing new tubes and masks, and running air through the system for several hours before first use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

There are so many people here with wonderful knowledge. Answering your question--I don't know. However it is a medical device. And I'm so glad I selected it instead of a Respironics dreamstation.

I don't have that machine. However about 16 months ago I bought a ResMed S10 autosense for her....with humidifier of course.

I wanted a heated hose, and brought one home with me. May I ask, what hose does he have? I don't know why but I don't like the slimline hose mine came with. Just me; not based on knowledge. My S10 has been great from day one. No odours.

The filters on the S10's don't have too much to them. They will not filter out odours if something is nearby the odour from that will be entrained and obvious when the machine is used.

I'd be looking at what is near the intake on the S10 housing.

I have a couple of concerns. I didn't realize when I bought it that I needed to buy a cover to use on the end of the machine if I decide not to use the humidifier if I'm travelling. Fixed that; bought one.

My only issue with odour has been my fault. I have forgotten to take out the humidiier tank before using the machine. I've forgotten to fill it. Clue was an odour I didn't like.

I like my treatment with the S10 I have much better than my old S9E.

Hope this helps. And it will bump your question up so people with more knowledge can help you.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed this with mine as well, but after a good rinse with warm water and soap it mostly dissipated. I would recommend giving it a good wash and seeing if that helps Smile

But to answer your actual question; I don't know what sort of testing they do. I assume some but I don't have any data handy.
Post Reply Post Reply
First time poster here. Funny I registered a few minutes ago and I took home a new ResMed 10 yesterday. The first thing I noticed was the slight odour that exactly matches the OP’s question.

You can be sure any medical equipment has a highly controlled and restricted set of materials in its construction. Not doing so is a pretty sure path to company destroying disaster. Just look a Philips. A very difficult problem to manage despite its relatively trivial nature.

Brand new plastics will often have a slight smell that dissipates pretty quickly. These may come from mould release compounds on the surface or the plasticisers incorporated in the material that make it flexible. Neither are likely to be of any concern. I would expect that mould release would be washed off during later manufacturing steps. It is pretty likely that the residual smell is due to final washing and sterilisation.

With my machine the smell was pretty well gone this morning. It didn’t and doesn’t worry me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 125 9 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 357 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  First Sleep Test OwenTrantor 56 3,997 02-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.