Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Does "for Her" make a difference?
Does "for Her" make a difference?
I got my machine late yesterday and had good night with it. Looking through stuff more thoroughly today, I noticed that my doc prescribed ResMed Air Sense for Her, but I given a ResMed Air Sense 10 machine. They did supply a mask "for her." Is the difference real, or just marketing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does "for Her" make a difference?
There is another setting that they have found works "better" for women. You should get what your Doctor prescribed and have that option. They should NEVER give you something that the Doctor did not prescribe. Bad DME Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2016, 11:23 PM)PoolQ Wrote: There is another setting that they have found works "better" for women. You should get what your Doctor prescribed and have that option. They should NEVER give you something that the Doctor did not prescribe. Bad DME Smile

Thanks. It's been an 8 month process to even get a machine at all between Health Net and Apria. Back into Battle.
Post Reply Post Reply
If they do not swap it out contact your insurance and tell them that you were not given the prescribed machine, they will get after the DME
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi baconjurer, Welcome to Apnea Board!
You can google or go to the AirSense site to find out more, but this is a brief discription.

The AirSense 10 for Her is the first ever machine specifically designed for the female demographic. ResMed has developed an FDA approved "For Her" algorithm that tracks upper respiratory disturbances found in the patient. The machine will respond immediately to any respiratory incident, altering pressure after a single unnatural breath.
Additionally, the machine features an aesthetic floral-themed design which should appeal to the female user.

Also, some have reported that the newer A10 includes the "for her" algorithm. You will need to go into the providers menu and see if there is a choice.

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad I'm getting a new machine today..hopefully if doc gets the script correct. I had a Respironics System 1 - all kinds of trouble with humidity. I have heated hose which worked in the beginning but now does not. It is a Cpap w/ pressure of 12. I always have a sore throat and wake every 2-3 hrs with mouth totally dry. Anyway .. my question .. They are replacing my old machine with the Resmed Air Sense 10 cpap .. Should I push for the V auto for her ? otherwise I will have constant pressure. My sleep study said obstructive and pressure of 12. but .. from what i am reading sounds like the auto for her might be a better deal... Doc will do whatever I ask. Any suggestions. sorry this is so long :/
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need to ask your doctor to rewrite the script to read exactly the name of machine and specify Auto with a range of pressure listed. If you want the "for her" model, ask that it be on the script also.

It is in your best interest to get an APAP even if you end up using it in Cpap mode.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mary Anna. If you are planning to get a ResMed machine, I think the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her is a good choice. It lets you choose from two algorithms - the "For Her" one or the basic Resmed auto-adjusting algorithm. You can also run the machine in fixed pressure CPAP mode if you want to do that.

As for the basic question of whether to get a fixed pressure CPAP machine or an auto-adjusting one, I think the auto-adjusting type is the best choice and seems to be what people are generally being prescribed now. (Not everyone, though - some doctors still prefer fixed pressure CPAP.)

If you do a web search for "ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet for Her functional features" you can see a chart that shows what features the AutoSet for Her has compared to other ResMed machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
What is APAP ? Is it different from the Vauto ? I asked doc to write ResMed Air Sense 10 for her .. but i didn't specify the pressure . He doesn't seem to know much about the machines. Should I ask for something different ..
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP is an auto adjusting machine.. CPAP Is fixed pressure only. APAP can be run as a CPAP but not vice versa.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,110 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 183 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 229 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 335 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 980 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,355 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 542 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.