Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Does medicare cover a NEW machine?
Does medicare cover a NEW machine?
I just started PAP therapy (3 week in). I have question about how this works with Medicare. Should I have received a brand new machine or is it up to the DME? Medicare is my primary ins. but I also have secondary ins. so my out of pocket $ is minimal. I am just curious whether I should have received a new machine as the one I got had over 1400 hours on it when received.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Does medicare cover a NEW machine?
Yes, Medicare covers new machines but DMEs often try to give you the machines returned for non-compliance that have some hours on them. I have no idea if you can do anything about it at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I received my "new" machine, it had 52 hrs. of use on it. It looked new, had all the paperwork, and the nice carry case. 

Of course, back then, I knew nothing about CPAP machines or sleep apnea. That was when my BC/BS was my primary and only insurance. Now that I'm 65, it's a new ballgame from what I have been told.

Not sure yet what will happen now that I'm on Medicare, and BC/BS is now my secondary insurance. I have some supplies en-route to me and they should be here shortly. I'm curious to see the invoice and if I owe anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would immediately complain loudly.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I was given a used machine also. I called and complained, and returned it. They ordered me a new one with 0 hours.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Dreaming

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Machine Choices

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  still hoping to qualify for medicare-need advice eajeff 4 110 Today, 05:26 AM
Last Post: slowriter
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 147 138,652 Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Last Post: bonjour
  How to qualify for medicare- what I have learned eajeff 14 429 02-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: eajeff
  DME, medicare, cpap chronic 1 98 02-12-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How useful is a hose cover? PaulaBunyan 25 621 02-11-2020, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [split] Medicare Beneficiary Being Balance Billed for Machine Choice MikeyT 21 689 01-31-2020, 02:23 PM
Last Post: MikeyT
  Cpap vet getting Medicare coverage and a "new patient" exam - need advice please! FormerFed 13 400 01-15-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post: FormerFed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.