Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DreamStation AHI Question
DreamStation AHI Question
Hello

I have a question about AHI information on my DreamStation. I did search for this info pre post but couldn't find an answer. Does the machine open the airway and correct the Apnea/Hypopnea event when it recognizes it or are those Apnea/Hypopnea's still happening because perhaps the pressure is not high enough? My hope obviously is that is just recognizing them and recording them while i'm still breathing normally.

Thank you for your time.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation AHI Question
(09-27-2016, 03:50 PM)Bizango1 Wrote: My hope obviously is that is just recognizing them and recording them while i'm still breathing normally.

No, if it's recording them, you're having them. But everybody has them, it's just when you have too many of them a CPAP machine is prescribed. And even with the machine you can't get rid of all of them.

All the machine does is blow air. It has sensors that measure pressure and flow rate. If the pattern of the flow rate indicates a possible event coming up, auto-adjusting machines will raise the pressure in an attempt to prevent it. They will also raise the pressure after an event to help prevent future events.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bizango1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What model Dreamstation did you get? You're using fixed pressure, so the machine is currently using a pressure of 11.0 cm to stent the airway, and does not make any changes to that pressure in response to apnea/hypopnea or other indicators.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster,

Thank you very much for your response. I had no idea that I was still having or that it was normal to still have A/H when using a CPAP. In 2009 I was diagnosed with Severe OSA. I've been using a system with no data set at 11cmH20 since the summer of 2009 religiously and I still get a bit tired some days but nothing like pre CPAP. I just got the DreamStation and averaged between 4.x and 9.x AHI over the last 4 nights. Prior to last night I set the C-Check mode and notice that the DreamMapper software on my phone says usage was 8.0 to 14.0 so perhaps the baseline needs to be higher than 11.0.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider,

Thank you for your response. I have the DreamStation CPAP Pro. Looks like the Auto CPAP may have been a better choice.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2016, 11:13 PM)Bizango1 Wrote: SleepRider,

Thank you for your response. I have the DreamStation CPAP Pro. Looks like the Auto CPAP may have been a better choice.

Thank you

Hello Bizango1,

I sometimes wish I had an auto machine, also. C-Check should help you get your pressure tweaked.

C-Check runs a pressure range around your fixed pressure setting and will set your pressure at the 90% pressure after the machine determines what it is. It will change the pressure every thirty hours in 1cm increments, if a change is needed until it gets to the pressure it determines you need. The most the machine can change the pressure while in C-Check mode is 3cmH2O on either side of your fixed pressure.

After running C-Check, I ran A-Trial and arrived at the same pressure C-Check determined so I think you are headed in the right direction.

Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to Pupcamper for that response. That was the reason we wanted to know the model of Dreamstation you have. It is capable of performing in auto-mode for a limited trial, and to evaluate alternative pressures. The other thing you must do is to download #Sleepyhead to get a better picture of what kind of apnea you have, and whether it is responsive to alternative therapy pressures. The forum members are pretty good at helping you to interpret the data and making constructive use of it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Mitch,

Thank you very much for the information.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Pupcamper and Sleeprider for the info. It's a bit embarrassing not knowing all this while using a CPAP since 2009 Unsure but I will download the Sleepyhead software and see if I can figure out how to upload my data to it.

Thanks again,

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation question fby002 7 870 08-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: fby002
  Dreamstation 2 Question mawaw1992 5 539 08-05-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question Question on using a Resmed S9 vs a Dreamstation 1 nbdsv96 3 548 06-20-2023, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Setup question switching from Dreamstation to AirCurve 10 VAuto OceanChild 16 1,409 01-12-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  Dreamstation 2 Question edyurgal 7 1,024 07-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Last Post: edyurgal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.