Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Onset apnea getting much worse
Onset apnea getting much worse
I have complex apnea, but the obstructive is pretty mild. My main issue is the onset central apnea. I can’t take a nap on the couch without the cpap. Been using the cpap for almost a decade (nasal pillows, Resmed 10 cpap) with no problems. 

Last September I had a night where I had constant onset episodes. Had an overnight sleep study and nothing abnormal came up. Didn’t have an episode again until November.

Happened twice in January, then twice last week and again last night. 

When this happens I feel a jolt every time I’m about to fall asleep and/or the cpap blows a lot of air at once and wakes me. And that happens over and over all night. The Cpap will show zero apneas the next day.

So long story short this issue is ramping up. When it happens I get almost no sleep, can’t function at work, and am very worried about how this will effect my health. Has anyone else had this happen to them and do you have any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Onset apnea getting much worse
We see sleep onset central apnea fairly common, and it is often a problem during sleep transition when the body passes off respiration as voluntary to an autonomic nervous system. Respiratory drive is complicated and this can be a real problem In your case it has been intermittent and very difficult to measure in a sleep test, because events don't count until you are asleep and this problem keeps you at the threshold of sleep.

Your would do better to get a free copy of OSCAR so you can document the problem in data and charts and use that to discuss with your doctor. There may be some other options we can help with and the OSCAR data will also help us to understand the severity, frequency and circumstances of these events. So my immediate suggestion is to get the software to document this, then we can take a meaningful look at the data and charts and make suggestions from there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 10 370 04-07-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 576 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 377 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 745 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 706 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 391 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 381 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.