Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] DreamStation Problems
DreamStation Problems
I recently started using the Philips Respironics “DreamStation”. I had previously used the Respironics “System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+” with SD Card and Humidifier. I used the “REMstar Pro C-Flex” for over six years with great success until the machine stopped working.

I was initially pleased with my new “DreamStation” machine but then after about one week I suddenly awoke in the muddle of the night, unable to exhale against very high air pressure. I took the machine back to my CPAP provider. The technician evaluated the data chip and said that everything appeared normal, and that I just needed to get accustomed to the new machine. Thinking-about Over the next two days I continued to experience extreme random pressures changes that would not allow me to sleep. I would awake with a torrent of airflow so strong that it would not allow me to exhale. I would remove the mask for the rest of the night. I again took the mask back and the technician and she said that I was the problem and that I should see my doctor, for which I did. Okay My doctor wants a two week review of the data chip.

The technician then set the machine to a “Fixed” setting of air pressure. That night the machine initially worked fine but later it continued to have the same problems. I do not use the “Ramp Mode”.

I took the machine back again and the technician made more adjustments. That night my wife tried to wake me at about 1 AM when she noticed that I was not breathing so she ripped my mask-off.  She said that I was totally unconciousness, still not breathing, and appeared to be synodic. After I regained consciousness, I then put the mask back on to test what was going-on. I could not exhale at all as the machine would block any out flow of air from the mask but it produced a high constant volume of air from the machine. It was like there was a one-way check valve that allowed air to flow in only one direction, that is from the machine to the mask but not out of the mask. Again, I took the machine back and the technician made more adjustments. That night the machine worked ok but about 3 AM the flow of air from the machine became nil and this made be remove the mask just to be able to get enough air into my lings.

I was given a second machine and now, after only three days, I am having the same problems. Frustrated, what should I do next? Huh

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation Problems
When this happens, have you tried to remove the mask's hose from the machine? Can you then use your mouth to push against the pressure? If you are using the same mask, it could be the valve on the mask is faulty. I am sure a hybrid mask has one just as Full Face Masks do. These valves are supposed to ensure air flow continues should the electricity goes off. Unlike nasal pillows/masks, the user cannot simply open their mouth to breathe.

The other problem is your supplier's technician is trying to kill you. There is no way they could look at the data and not see that exhale stopped or decreased significantly.

Make a back up copy of the card and keep it in case you need it for court.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think Paula is on to something, have you tried using a different mask instead? If the machine is set to fixed pressure it should not ramp up to the point where you can not exhale against it and if it does, the record will show it.

The reason I think it might be the mask is that if the membrane doesn't work, you could be inhaling the exhaled air over again, which would explain a possible "passing out" from a lack of oxygen. There's no fooling around with this! I think I'd be too spooked to put it on again until the problem is really solved. My suggestion for now would be to put on the mask and machine for the evening hours while you're awake, watching TV maybe, and record everything that happens. Seems like a safer option to me. Also, get that info from your SD card asap and you will have a better idea of what is actually going on. You'll need to download Sleepyhead if you haven't done that yet.

Best of luck to you, stay safe!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clark,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like the technician you are working with doesn’t know what he/she is doing.
Make sure you back up the data on your SD card.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you in getting this straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Download sleepyhead software and verify the pressures and whats going on.
You indicate that you have a fixed Pressure Cpap Machine with C-flex.
C-flex will reduce the pressure when you exhale making it easier not harder.
Did they give you a dreamstation set to Cpap mode or a Auto with a Range of Pressures?
If Auto they may have it set higher than your use to.
Download the Clinical manual for your machine and make sure its set to the same settings as your older Cpap.
It's pretty simple to verify and change settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,868 47 minutes ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 212 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,820 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,528 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 977 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 453 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.