Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dreamstation 2, accept or not?
Dreamstation 2, accept or not?
Need advice on whether to accept offer by local DME provider of new Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto (not sure yet if it is advanced or non-advanced model). I was given the recalled DS last year right before the recall happened; returned it to DME and instead purchased from online vendor my own ResMed Airsense 10 Auto, which is working well.  Now DME finally has in hand the DS2 as replacement for recalled DS; would be covered by Medicare. But, the initial reviews of DS2, and DS2 incompatibility with OSCAR (still the case, correct?), and uncertainty (until I go into their office) if DME would even allow me to enter provider mode on DS2 (PIN required?) make me hesitant to accept the DS2 and get into compliance reporting, etc.  But, if DS2 worked well, I would have advantage of having it and then the ResMed as a backup machine.  Any thoughts on whether or not to accept the DS2?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation 2, accept or not?
As a user that switched to a Resmed from a Phillips Respironics 560 machine after 5 years (before the recall), I'd go with the Resmed Airsense 10. I like it so much better and felt, like many here on the forum, that it is a better choice for successful use and control of my apnea. I would certainly hate to go without OSCAR!
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I do not like any manufacturer that attempts to lockout user from data.
Thus I have a stronger preference for ResMed than I have had previously.

OSCAR has an invite only Alpha version that reads and displays DS2 data
PM me requesting it if you want it

It will go public in version 1.4.0 (soon I hope)
Post Reply Post Reply
So you have the Resmed machine that you paid out of pocket for, and its working well.
Now you can get a DS2 for "free".
I suppose there's some consideration on taking a machine that you dont currently 'need', and someone else might.
But then again, you shouldnt have had to spend out of pocket in the first place.
It's always good to have a spare/backup unit.

FWIW, I liked the Resmed AS10 that I had on 'loan' far more than the DS2 that I got as a replacement for the DS.
DS2 Cons imho;
-noisier (mine was way noisier, I returned it to DME to check if this is normal)
-tank filling is a pain compared to the AS10, although it seems easier to fully clean
-display faces 'up' so you have to sit up in bed to see anything (not an often event though)
-have to pull the tank away from unit to get to the SD card.. an odd engineering choice imho
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>-have to pull the tank away from unit to get to the SD card.. an odd engineering choice imho

Considering that the data is encrypted, Philips doesn't expect you to look at your data... of course OSCAR is doing an alpha test with a version that decrypts it and displays it as usual. Stay tuned

But yes, an odd choice indeed
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I had the same basic choice, get a dreamstation2 or wait for god knows how long for a resmed airsense 11. The difference is I am a new user and this would be my first machine.

Long story short I researched the dreamstation2 and it got fairly bad reviews. Complaints of generally cheap feeling construction, a touch panel that works when it feels like it and is never very responsive, at the time no heated hose was available (not sure if thats still the case), all data encrypted and of course the elephant in the room, its from phillips that I personally no longer trust at all. The recall should have been started in 2018 when they first knew this foam was potentially dangerous but they covered it up and sat on that information without any followup.

Btw I heard they are now secretely stopping all mask production for the next 3 months or so as those are no longer certified and being re-evaluated aas well.

Wanna guess which choice I picked?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2022, 05:00 PM)adm1jtg Wrote:  at the time no heated hose was available (not sure if thats still the case)
I plugged my old DS heated hose in for a test and it immediately was recognized on the display of the DS2.
I didnt use it for the night, but unless the wattage requirements are different I see no reason to think we cant use DS heated hoses on the DS2.
The only different "consumable" seems to be the intake filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know but since I was a new user this was an issue as my DM said they could not get a heated hose for use with it.

All that aside I waited an got the airsense 11. Seems like a very good unit, but of course, I have nothing to compare it to as its my first unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2022, 05:34 PM)DaveCar Wrote: I plugged my old DS heated hose in for a test and it immediately was recognized on the display of the DS2.

The 15 mm heated hose is interchangeable between the DS1 and DS2. However there is a smaller 12mm diameter heated hose (apparently same one used on the DS GO) that works on the DS2 but will not work on the DS1.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my DS2 since Oct 2021. It came supplied with the 12mm heated hose. I have not used the 12mm hose as I still have several of the 15mm heated hoses from when I had the DS1.
I seldom look at the display on the DS2 as I just take a quick look at the data on DreamMapper daily in the morning which has sufficient information to give me an idea how the night was. My AHI numbers are generally below 1.0 so I never felt the need to use OSCAR with my DS1 other than a few times to see how the program worked. My DS1 is placed 'backwards' on the nightstand so the water tray is easily accessible to the front and the hose exits the rear and loops around the back of the headboard up to a hose hanger. Comparatively I think the DS1 may have been slightly noisier than the DS2, but I have an air cleaner/filter in the bedroom which when running is more prevalent than any sound coming from the CPAP. I did purchase an extra water tank as I had heard some reports of the hook tabs on the lid breaking off and the DS2 can not be operated without the water tank like the DS1 could. Once you get the hang of the display menu system it's easy to get to the 'hidden' settings and parameters if needed or just curious whats in there. I've found no major issues using it and it works as well as the DS1 did for me. The shiny black exterior does show dust more easily than the white DS1 did and the wife isn't too happy about that Sad .

There is a significant supply problem with silicone used for masks as well as other types of products that use silicone and this is presumably why Philips halted production of masks. I would suspect other manufacturers of silicone masks may have similar issues going forward.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,165 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  do all listed suppliers accept insurance for accessories, masks, etc hELpMePls2023 4 570 01-22-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,712 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  DME replacing my faulty Airsense 10 with an 11..should i accept? tierdal 9 1,289 03-29-2022, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,301 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  Will Cigna accept Home Sleep Study Chitlom 3 1,450 01-04-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.