Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dreamstation Auto ON/OFF set but not working
Dreamstation Auto ON/OFF set but not working
I came from ResMed S8 and S9 Auto - the Auto On/OFF worled perfect.
Now I am on Dreamstation, I got into Clinical Menu and set the Automatic On - set to ON , and Automatic Off - set to ON.
But it does not work. What am I doing wrong? How to crrect it.
The Dreamstations is set to Auto set and Flex.

Should I be sorry I did not get ResMed 10?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Auto ON/OFF set but not working
(01-09-2016, 01:36 PM)newb Wrote: I came from ResMed S8 and S9 Auto - the Auto On/OFF worled perfect.
Now I am on Dreamstation, I got into Clinical Menu and set the Automatic On - set to ON , and Automatic Off - set to ON.
But it does not work. What am I doing wrong? How to crrect it.
The Dreamstations is set to Auto set and Flex.

Should I be sorry I did not get ResMed 10?

I don't have a DreamStation, but I do have a PRS1 model. Auto off takes a lot longer than the S9 models, 30 seconds or so. Auto on does work pretty quickly and pretty well.

What is your pressure when you take the mask off? Sometimes, auto off doesn't work on low pressures with some masks.

Take your hand and cover the exhaust port on the mask and take a few deep breaths to see if that makes it start.

Your profile shows a nasal mask. Is that what you're using? Sometimes auto-on doesn't work with a full face mask.

On early S9 machines, you couldn't do auto on if you set the machine to full face mask mode, but I think the DreamStation doesn't have a FFM mask setting. Maybe there's some other setting that interacts with on/off.

Be sure you are actually set into auto on/off mode. Sometimes, you'll think you're changing the setting, but it doesn't actually "take" when you exit the provider menu. After it fails to work, go back into the menu and see if the setting is changed.

Also, try it with the SD card removed. There may be a way for a DME to lock down the settings to prevent the user from changing them. If you have the wireless modem, put the machine into airplane mode to be sure the modem isn't changing the setting back on you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Archangel.
Indeed it does not work with full face. With the nasal mask I get it turned on after two breaths. But I still cannot get it to stop.
Dreamstation has settings for mask resistance but neither of my masks is Respironics'.
What should I set for nasal and what for full face?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi newb,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and good luck with the new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your posts.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2016, 06:16 PM)newb Wrote: Thank you Archangel.
Indeed it does not work with full face. With the nasal mask I get it turned on after two breaths. But I still cannot get it to stop.
Dreamstation has settings for mask resistance but neither of my masks is Respironics'.
What should I set for nasal and what for full face?

Have you tried taking the mask off and leaving it off for a minute or so while looking at the clock? I found it took 30 seconds or so.

As for resistance, are the values you can choose something like "0, X1, X2" etc.? If so, "0" is the correct choice for non-respironics masks. I don't think the resistance setting really matters that much.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The auto on, auto off feature doesn't work for me on my PR System One machine.

It's just as easy to press the round knob to turn off, unhook mask hose and go do my thing. When I come back to bed, just reattach my mask hose and press round knob to start therapy. Less hassle. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to all this only being on a DreamStation APAP for 3 months but I can't understand why you would need an auto stop. When I need to get up I just push the button on top of the DreamStation and it stops. When I come back I push the button and it starts up again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 12:40 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I'm new to all this only being on a DreamStation APAP for 3 months but I can't understand why you would need an auto stop. When I need to get up I just push the button on top of the DreamStation and it stops. When I come back I push the button and it starts up again.

Agreed
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 12:40 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I'm new to all this only being on a DreamStation APAP for 3 months but I can't understand why you would need an auto stop. When I need to get up I just push the button on top of the DreamStation and it stops. When I come back I push the button and it starts up again.

This feature works fine on my Resmed machine, but I found it more a nuisance than a help. I turned it off and find that much easier to deal with. Yeah once or twice I gotten up to pee and forgot the turnoff, but that happens too rarely to worry me. I definitely prefer things with the auto starts and stops off.

We are all different, though.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
A two fold question;

1. I had exactly the same question about the Auto OFF on DSA. I found out that it takes about 1.5 minute to kick in where S9 was very quick. It does work but may not work to your satisfaction.
2. Should you be sorry that you got PR DS instead of a Resmed....? Now, that's a loaded question... Are you? Only You can answer that!
IMHO, it's a love and hate relationship. Why did you decide an the DS vs Respironics? For me, (mainly) it was the Respironics bias - it worked for me for the previous 11 years without a hiccup and it allows me straight 12VDC option - important for off grid camping. For you... ?
OK, so, now, you have it. If you don't like it, learn to use it to the best of your satisfaction and needs.
on the "ups" and find out how to tolerate the "downs".
If you can exchange it, I bet you'll have similar questions... I don't think that there is a machine that does it all... At least, not until they invent a machine that we (apneacs) don't have to use it to treat our condition.... so keep on smiling and titrating on... and complaining - that may be the only driving force behind engineers making improvements that make make the machines more bearable. Yup, I did mean "bearable" not "likeable" ! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 570 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.