Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dreamstation Go Noise Difference vs. Home Unit with Humidifier
RE: Dreamstation Go Noise Difference vs. Home Unit with Humidifier
I've posted the charts from the last 4 nights.  Last night (July 15) we had a power outage until 4am, so I was only able to use CPAP for 3 hours.
It appears that I'm consistently getting <3.0 AHI from using the Dreamstation w/o humidifier and using the cervical pillow to keep my chin pointed at the ceiling (as much as I can thru the night).  I have to use earplugs due to the noise of the machine w/o the humidifier installed.
I put the humidifier back on this morning and will post a week of results.  If I'm getting the same AHI's with the humidifier and without earplugs I'm going to call this a victory and drive onwards.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm very new here and new to CPAP.
I started with a temporary ResMed AirMini with P10 nose pillows for a couple of weeks and got on ok. AHI around 5+ I think.

Then I got my DreamStation Auto with DreamWear gel pillows and humidifier which was instantly a magnitude quieter. After experimentation with help from this board, I got down to 0.3 AHI last night (woot!).

I did try using the DreamStation without the humidifier and was surprised at how much noisier it was. Even more so than the AirMini. Couldn't bear it for more than a few minutes, so put the humidifier back on. My setting is still 0 but just being connected seems to make a lot of difference to the noise. I've resigned myself to travelling with the humidifier.

One thing I am wondering about your experience of the DreamStation Vs the Go...I notice that your main machine is set at a fixed rate of 8. I didn't see your setting for your Go. Firstly wondering why you are using the Auto machine in fixed mode, and also wondering if the Go is in Auto mode...might explain why you get lower AHI with the Go if its in Auto mode and upping the pressure in instances where your main machine isn't?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad to hear someone else can hear the noise difference.  The lady at my DME told me it was all in my head .. . . 
My Dreamstation was set up for me at the DME when I picked it up and I haven't messed with it yet . . 
Post Reply Post Reply
So, if I understand correctly, the humidifier on DS acts as a sound muffler.
So, at the same pressure (8cm of water), having the same airflow thru the tube, it's just noisier w/o the humidifier? Interesting...  Thinking-about

Did you try non-heated vs heated tube, as there may be difference in wall thickness and sound absorption between the tubes?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what it seems like to me. Right now I'm determining if it has any affect on my AHI's. I've installed the humidifier (no water, not turned on) and the noise level has gone down to where I don't need earplugs. It appears my AHI's are remaining fairly low (2.2 - ish) for me, so I may stick with this configuration for the time being and work on keeping a good head position thru the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
This forum is riddled with noise complaints from DreamStation users.

The chief noise complaint is regarding using it without the humidifier. I'd say it's pretty unanimous that the DS without the humidifier is unusable due to the obscenely loud noise.

The second noise complaint is that *some* DS are noisier than other DS.

The third complaint seems to have to do with the air filter. Some people find the DS to be too loud with the fine air filter, or with off-brand air filters.

These are the noise complaints I've seen here. As I said, there have been a lot of DS noise complaints here on this forum. So you're definitely not alone.

I use a humidifier, and tolerate the slight noise from my DS by drowning it out with white noise from a fan.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 101 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,273 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,920 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,240 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.