Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dreamstation Go Noise Difference vs. Home Unit with Humidifier
Dreamstation Go Noise Difference vs. Home Unit with Humidifier
Hello everyone!!

New CPAP user here - 3 months.  Just came home from a disastrous appointment with my DME provider, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

Since I travel alot, I purchased a Dreamstation Go at the same time as my Dreamstation.  In the 3 months since starting therapy, all of the horrible symptoms that I was experiencing in the prior 18 months have resolved, so I am a CPAP believer.  At this point I'm trying to fine tune my CPAP experience.

I use the Dreamwear Nasal mask and notice a very significant noise difference (rushing air along sides of mask) when using the Dreamstation Go (without humidifier) versus the Dreamstation (with humidifier).  If I take the humidifier off my home unit, I get the same elevated noise level.

<at this point my DME tech lost her ability to think/analyze and went into a continuous loop like a malfunctioning Westworld robot>

Obviously the humidifier is the difference, and NO the noise is not in my head.

After much effort, I was able to finally get the DME tech to hook up her pressure gage to my home unit both with and without the humidifier and the dial indicated 8.0 cmH20 (correct setting) on both configurations.  Even though both configurations indicated 8.0, there was no airflow thru the system so that test didn't apply to the question I was asking her.  At that point I realized I was utterly wasting my time so I packed up my gear and left while she was telling me for the 10th time that my settings can't be changed.

I would like to know if there is a way to "simulate" a humidifier for the Dreamstation Go so that I don't get the rushing wind sound.  Would a bacteria filter do the trick?  I also noticed that I get significantly lower AHI's (4.5-ish vs. 1.0-ish) with the Go and the Home unit without the humidifier, but the rushing air sound makes it hard to get to sleep.  It also feels like there is more pressure at the mask without the humidifier (both units), even though I know the unit automagically adjusts the pressure to maintain the 8.0cmH2O.  

The other dumb part was that she was very adamant to NOT test my Go unit since it wasn't paid for by insurance, even though I paid cash for it on the same day I got my home unit <sigh>.

I guess the mistake I made was in thinking the DME supplier would have a solution since they handle hundreds of these units each week.  Silly me.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Go Noise Difference vs. Home Unit with Humidifier
Hi FireNWater  - Welcome
At least coming here will eliminate the drive to the DME to have a disastrous  meeting.  Big Grin

Have you tried a different mask with these machines?  Another thought; Is your humidifier filled or empty.?  If empty, it could be acting a plenum chamber.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess you're saying I can have my disastrous meetings right here?  LOL.

I haven't filled the humidifier in several weeks since I seem to be doing OK without the water.

My DME won't provide a different mask for another 3 months.  Well, I can get a different mask now, but not the headgear (go figure).

I'd like to find a way to get my Go to have the same feel as my Home unit with the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips has long promised they would start manufacturing a humidifier for the GO - I think it's been over a year now since they first made that promise. Very disappointed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no experience with the Go, but there have been previous discussions on the noise factor with the PR machines. Mine is noisy without the humidifier and I don't use the DreamWear mask. Luckily I don't travel except in our travel trailer and I can continue to use my humidifier, with the heat off, even when on my battery pack. After another trial a few nights with my Dreamwear I decided I just can't live with the noise it makes and went back to my whisper quiet Wisp.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bummer about the useless DME. My experience has been that the DME's goal is to get the unit out of their store and into your hands, and for it to stay in your hands. Must not admit problem. Anything the patient is concerned with *is not of concern*, and is to be dismissed. Silly patients, don't they know they should just stay home and be compliant?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2018, 01:08 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Bummer about the useless DME.  My experience has been that the DME's goal is to get the unit out of their store and into your hands, and for it to stay in your hands. Must not admit problem. Anything the patient is concerned with *is not of concern*, and is to be dismissed. Silly patients, don't they know they should just stay home and be compliant?

Being new to this I'm slowly learning who the players are and how to deal with them.  

My favorite part is when the lady tells me "You can't have that!", like she's the lunch lady denying me a second helping of "starches".  Had to remind her I can buy all this stuff off Amazon and save gas and time driving down to their dingy location.

I've figured out that they're there to extract as much money from my insurance company as they can and then get me out of there.  Disappointing, but I understand.

Anyway, back to my original problem.  For now, I've started wearing foam earplugs to bed and it seems to be absorbing most of the noise from the unit.  I'll have to see how it goes with my travel unit next time I go out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep! I hear ya on that. I can see how this system sets people up for failure. I'm so glad to have this board, and to be empowered to make my treatment the best it can be!

Good for you for finding a solution.

I like having a fan on when I sleep, to drown out the noise of my xPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife likes the ceiling fan on, so I guess that helps mask the noise for her as well. 

I just downloaded the SD card into sleepyhead. Wow, I never imagined the machine recorded that detailed info. I'll have to find where to get help analyzing the charts until I get a grip on it myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2018, 08:44 PM)FireNWater Wrote: ....  I just downloaded the SD card into sleepyhead. Wow, I never imagined the machine recorded that detailed info. I'll have to find where to get help analyzing the charts until I get a grip on it myself.

This is the place, right here. CrimsonNape, upthread in post #2, has put links in his signature that will get you started, and then posting your results - with attached charts - in a new thread with an explanatory title - will bring out experienced users to help you understand and improve your results.

We're not only friendly, we're useful!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 11 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,295 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,932 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,244 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.