Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dry as Dust
Dry as Dust
On a Devilbiss Intellipap (I know, it's old) I had 1 night with an empty humidifier. Now it won't humidify at all, even full of water. I'll getting a new machine soon, but in the meantime there's a limit to how much dry mouth a person can take. What to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry as Dust
(02-04-2020, 02:01 AM)CheBella1 Wrote: On a Devilbiss Intellipap (I know, it's old) I had 1 night with an empty humidifier. Now it won't humidify at all, even full of water. I'll getting a new machine soon, but in the meantime there's a limit to how much dry mouth a person can take. What to do?

I have not used the humidifier for more than a year now, I have no problem without it, I find using a humidifier clogs my nose more than I get without it... others find the opposite to be the case. 
It is more a comfort feature than a necessity I think, and early CPAP machines didn't have a humidifier at all if I'm not mistaken. Thinking-about
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
CheBella1,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Do you mouth breathe? Even though your using a full face mask, mouth breathing could be the culprit to your dry mouth problem. Do you have a problem breathing through your nose?

Other than that, there are some really good products you can use to help moisturize your mouth, like Biotene mouth wash or Act Total Care dry mouth rinse.

Good luck and hope your new machine comes through soon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the humidifier has failed due to the heating plate no longer working, just start with warm or hot water. It will get you by until you fall asleep. Many users do not use humidification, and older machines did not offer it as a standard feature, so you are in no danger health-wise to not have a functioning humidifier. If the humidifier has failed, it's time to ask for a new machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. I think I mouth breathe a lot when I sleep. Even if I sleep without a BiPAP I wake up with dry mouth. With with the BiPAP without humidication it's like Mojave desert in my mouth. That's a good idea to try warming the water first I'll try it
This is the first time the humidifier didn't work and it seems It's because it went dry one night. It's almost like it needs to be primed. And I don't know how to do that.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. I know I mouth breathe a lot when I sleep. Even if I sleep without a BiPAP I wake up with dry mouth. Yup, I don't breathe too well through my nose. I even have dry mouth when I'm awake!. With with the BiPAP without humidication it's like Mojave desert in my mouth. I really can't take it,so I haven't been using my BiPAP now.
This is the first time the humidifier didn't work and it seems It's because it went dry one night. It's almost like it needs to be primed. And I don't know how to do that.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.
My BiPAP isn't that old; it has a humidifier built in.
I mouth breathe a lot when I'm asleep,so I have dry mouth even without using a BiPAP. I even have dry mouth when I'm awake!
So using a BiPAP without humidification is definitely not an option. My mouth is like the Mojave desert when I tried that.
Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry! I forgot that replies go to the whole board and not just to the person who posted an answer to me. Sorry for the repetition.
Dona
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dust in Airsense 11 Nuke11 2 489 02-03-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Nuke11
  [Equipment] Black sticky dust in CPAP machine Skogcat1 4 5,365 01-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Skogcat1
  And another one bites the dust, leak solution that is... FrankNichols 5 1,855 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Dust caused SD card problem justMongo 2 1,564 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.