Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] During sleep, the hose often gets tangled under/around me and the machine falls over
During sleep, the hose often gets tangled under/around me and the machine falls over
I've been on CPAP therapy for a couple weeks now, and I use the F&P Icon Premo machine. Its hose is certainly long enough to extend all the way to the other side of my bed, even though I tend to sleep on the half of the bed closest to it and don't require it to go that far.

The problem is that, despite theoretically adequate hose length, the hose inevitably gets stuck underneath me while I sleep or wrapped around my neck/body and this effectively limits the hose length. This means that there is not enough slack in the hose when I happen to roll over a bit too far or something. If that happens, the hose pulls the machine down from the desk and face down onto my bed (which is adjacent to the desk).

If there's simply not enough slack left on the hose due to it being wrapped around me or stuck under my weight, simple Newtonian physics demands that something's got to break off or the machine is going to topple over. So even if I bolted the damn thing down, all that means is that the hose would break whenever there's not enough slack left.

Thankfully, the machine's water chamber area seems pretty sealed so there's never much water inside the basin to clean up after it falls over, nor is there any leakage onto the bed or floor. The LCD screen does display an error message when this happens (which, upon looking up the specific error code, signifies "motor failure"), but upon unplugging+replugging the machine, the error goes away and the machine seems to work fine.

This has happened twice in just the last few days, and I'm more concerned with damaging the machine and the time it takes to clean the water from inside the machine than I am with the interrupted sleep it causes on nights when this occurs.

Is this a frequent problem for other CPAP users too, or am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to avoid this? Is my machine likely to be damaged from this happening?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: During sleep, the hose often gets tangled under/around me and the machine falls over
There's a few gadgets you can get that will hold the hose up out of the way but some folks make their own.

What you can do is up from the machine, take some cloth and tape it to the hose or tie a string to it around one of the coils or something so it stays in place and doesn't move. Then affix that string or cloth to either the wall or the bedpost. When you tug on the hose during the night, the tug only reaches that point and goes no further.

Also by attaching the hose upward, above your head, chances are it isn't going to get tangled up around you to begin with.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: During sleep, the hose often gets tangled under/around me and the machine falls over
(06-03-2014, 11:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's a few gadgets you can get that will hold the hose up out of the way but some folks make their own.

What you can do is up from the machine, take some cloth and tape it to the hose or tie a string to it around one of the coils or something so it stays in place and doesn't move. Then affix that string or cloth to either the wall or the bedpost. When you tug on the hose during the night, the tug only reaches that point and goes no further.

Also by attaching the hose upward, above your head, chances are it isn't going to get tangled up around you to begin with.

Sounds good, I'll try what you suggest with some cloth or string and see if that helps. What are some of the gadgets I can buy specifically for this?

Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Aelius,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try putting "CPAP hose lifts" into a search engine or you could check out the suppliers list at the top of each page on this board and see what they have. I have one and it works well for me.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A hose lift would definitely help ,
Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
William Blake

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar problem so I loop mine around the bedhead post and headboard so that the machine if it does get pulled is pulled to a "safe" location where it cannot fall. Everything else on the bedside table just gets knocked off. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
My solution to your problem is to put the machine under your bed; running a ten-foot hose up between the headboard and mattress. Thus, there is no chance of the machine falling. Whistle
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do whatever you have to do to secure that machine down or strain relief that hose ASAP. Way expensive if you ruin the machine, you've been lucky so far. Good advice so far.
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2014, 11:13 PM)Aelius Wrote: I've been on CPAP therapy for a couple weeks now, and I use the F&P Icon Premo machine. Its hose is certainly long enough to extend all the way to the other side of my bed, even though I tend to sleep on the half of the bed closest to it and don't require it to go that far.

The problem is that, despite theoretically adequate hose length, the hose inevitably gets stuck underneath me while I sleep or wrapped around my neck/body and this effectively limits the hose length. This means that there is not enough slack in the hose when I happen to roll over a bit too far or something. If that happens, the hose pulls the machine down from the desk and face down onto my bed (which is adjacent to the desk).

If there's simply not enough slack left on the hose due to it being wrapped around me or stuck under my weight, simple Newtonian physics demands that something's got to break off or the machine is going to topple over. So even if I bolted the damn thing down, all that means is that the hose would break whenever there's not enough slack left.

Thankfully, the machine's water chamber area seems pretty sealed so there's never much water inside the basin to clean up after it falls over, nor is there any leakage onto the bed or floor. The LCD screen does display an error message when this happens (which, upon looking up the specific error code, signifies "motor failure"), but upon unplugging+replugging the machine, the error goes away and the machine seems to work fine.

This has happened twice in just the last few days, and I'm more concerned with damaging the machine and the time it takes to clean the water from inside the machine than I am with the interrupted sleep it causes on nights when this occurs.

Is this a frequent problem for other CPAP users too, or am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to avoid this? Is my machine likely to be damaged from this happening?

Thanks.

Hi

Have you ever considered running the hose overhead perhaps from the top bedpost or a plant hanger or a hose buddy. I find running hose overhead eliminates a lot of problems

Apapuser

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a pretty long hose and I sleep close to my machine on a nightstand next to me. I wrap my hose up around the bedpost. There is still some slack with the hose and I find myself laying on it or it is draped across me sometimes. With it being up around the bedpost, it protects it from tugging on my machine and pulling it off.

While away in a hotel, the beds don't always have bedposts. If I can wedge it gently behind the headboard to secure it without harming the hose I have done that. Or if there is a lamp extending on the wall next to the bed I have draped the hose over that. Others in this thread have had good suggestions. You could also get 3M removable command hooks to stick to your wall and drape the hose on the hook. Get a hook that is big enough and deep enough that the hose will fit down into the dip so it doesn't fall off the hook. I don't have good luck with those hooks holding in my closets ... probably because I put things too heavy on them. I don't believe a hose would be too heavy though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.