Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] EPR
Ohmy 
EPR
Dear Friends

Any body may let me know more about EPR in Resmed S9?
I know it's somehow related to making exhale easier, but what's the logic of numbers 1-2-.. and "patient" mode?

I feel to have better sleep on patient mode, but how it works?

And why my upper pressure in the morning always reads quite near to the Max Setting in APAP mode? may it mean i'm currently on a low setting?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR
Hi Roham,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes EPR is for when you breathe out and there are three different levels you can select, or you can turn it off if you decide that you don't like it, its a comfort feature.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is indeed a pressure relief for exhale. The 1,2,3 values are measured in cmH2O, the same way that the pressure is measured. For ResMed machines, when the machine detects an exhale, it will reduce the pressure by the EPR value from its current setting (down to a minimum of 4) until the next inhale is detected. [ For Philips Respironics machines, it will reduce the pressure by the *Flex setting until the end of the exhale is detected. ]

According to your profile, your pressure range is extremely narrow (from 14.2 to 15 cmH2O). It's not surprising that the limits will be reached. Personally, my pressure needs do range all the way from 11 cmH2O to around 19 cmH2O, depending on my sleep position, the phase of the moon, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the Apnea Board Wiki:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ure_relief

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2013, 04:17 PM)Roham Wrote: Dear Friends
Any body may let me know more about EPR in Resmed S9?
ResMed EPR http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/html/dev...c=patients

Post Reply Post Reply
The "patient" setting allows control of the EPR from the patient interface in addition to the clinician interface. Level 1= mildest reduction in air pressure, level 2= mid reduction and level 3 the largest reduction in air expiratory pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2013, 06:00 PM)RonWessels Wrote: [For Philips Respironics machines, it will reduce the pressure by the *Flex setting until the end of the exhale is detected. ]

Actually, for Philips Respironics machines Flex only reduces the exhale pressure during a small portion of the exhale period.

Philips Respironics A-Flex and C-Flex and at least one type of Bi-Flex, unlike ResMed EPR, stop way before the end of the exhale is detected. This is done on purpose so that the pressure will return to the higher inhale pressure well before the patient starts to inhale. The start of inhalation is the easiest time for the airway to collapse, because of the suction created by an attempt to inhale.

This is why some doctors consider Flex to give more effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnea than EPR. But it is also why, unlike EPR, Flex can be annoying and can take a while to get used to.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 01:26 PM)JOHN KREMER Wrote: The "patient" setting allows control of the EPR from the patient interface in addition to the clinician interface. Level 1= mildest reduction in air pressure, level 2= mid reduction and level 3 the largest reduction in air expiratory pressure.

The numbers correspond to the pressure. A setting of one means it drops the exhale one cmH2O, two drops 2, 3 drops 3.

So if your inhale (treatment pressure) is 10 and you have it set to an EPR of x, the exhale would be:
1 = 9 exhale
2 = 8
3 = 7.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.