Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Effect of altitude
RE: affect of altitude
wow!  I feel like I was looking at my feet and just discovered I had a stomach.  So much information and I want to thank everyone for your insight.  I got nothing like this from all my professional medical advisors.   since my AHI was 9.0 I will start trying all the suggestion one at a time.
1. first off my pillow is curved and only 1.5 inch tall on the section I lay my head.
2.  I will turn the ramp up to 10.0.
3.  I will set the EPR to 1 currently at 3.

I will try this for a week and send new data with the above modified attachments.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to the Bipap two months now. I  go camping almost every weekend.  I have noticed the same thing.  I live a 1300 ft and have a AHI of 9-18 at home.  I noticed when ever I go to higher elivations like this last month 4500 ad 6500 ft my AHI went over 30.  So last weekend I wanted to test it and went to sea level and My AHI went to 2.1 the first night and 5.7 the next.  As soon as I went home it went back to 12.

1st attachment is 1300 ft
2nd is sea level
3rd is 4500 ft

This sucks because I love the mountains.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Effect of altitude
I notice higher AHI when I sleep at 4000', and lower AHI when I sleep at sea level.

It's good to know how to tweak the settings for what we need in each place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2019, 11:58 PM)50man Wrote: I'm new to the Bipap two months now. I  go camping almost every weekend.  I have noticed the same thing.  I live a 1300 ft and have a AHI of 9-18 at home.  I noticed when ever I go to higher elivations like this last month 4500 ad 6500 ft my AHI went over 30.  So last weekend I wanted to test it and went to sea level and My AHI went to 2.1 the first night and 5.7 the next.  As soon as I went home it went back to 12.

1st attachment is 1300 ft
2nd is sea level
3rd is 4500 ft

This sucks because I love the mountains.

You clearly have a central apnea problem at altitude and even pressures of 8/6 (PS 2) trigger CA.  You might want to talk to your doctor as even your 9-18 AHI at home is too high.  This is treatable with ASV, but you need to have any sleep study or titration study scheduled at a clinic at higher altitude, and where they have expertise in altitude related central apnea.  Almost all the sleep clinics in Denver and Colorado Springs, and a few at even higher elevations would meet this criteria.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My problem started with heart PAC's.  The doctor orderd a home study which showed OBSA with Shane Stokes.  They then sent me in for a in lab, where they started me right off with a CPAP, with no luck.  Then the ASV triggered heart PVC's.  Ending up with a bipap ST.  I liked the ASV but the tech would not try it again as it scared her.  I got a Bipap ST, but it filled me up with air consitanly (very painful).  Now I'm on a standard Bipap.  I read earlier as Bonjour had suggested to the origanal post, to remove the pillow.  Last nights AHI was 5.7 with about 20 centrals.  

Advice is very appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks,

Well it has been many months since my last post.  There was a recommendation from a member in which I did some modification to my CPAP settings.  Unfortunately I left for Paris to watch the Women's World Cup and did not return to elevation (Reno) for six weeks.  Again, I was only home for two days before I headed out to Fairbanks, Alaska.  This whole time I have been close to sea level and I expected good number and with the new setting change they were very good.  Averaging around 1.6 to 1.8 AHI.  I will be back in Reno for a lengthy stay in October and will once again evaluate my numbers at elevation.  Thanks for the support.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2019, 03:32 PM)larricka Wrote: Unfortunately I left for Paris to watch the Women's World Cup

I see nothing unfortunate about being in Paris and watching the WWC!  How fun!!!

Your numbers sound great!  Good luck with your return to altitude.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Severe central apnea as side effect of Brilinta Remfan 9 1,615 06-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Ivy woods
  [CPAP] DS2 12mm vs 15mm tubing -effect on AHI arpegio 0 606 02-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: arpegio
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea and high altitude djpax13 4 707 08-06-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR Oximetry settings has no effect on SPO2 event number JohnAT 5 663 08-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Last Post: JohnAT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.