Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Effects of Western Wildfire Smoke
Effects of Western Wildfire Smoke
So my Phillips Dreamstation CPAP machine developed a characteristic where exhaling was difficult.  I took it to my local CPAP provider where I was not allowed to be present [that's COVID 19 for ya] while it was checked out.  When they finished I was told they made some adjustments and should try it for a few days.  I was not allowed to check it out at their facility in their presence. When I got it home it worked slightly better.  Roughly ok the first night, back to the same problem next night.  I noted that the flow was weak compared to my wife's dreamstation which she had not used during the previous 10 days due to nausea related problems. 

Research led me to check the filters I had installed 11 days ago.  You can see the results.  We've had wild fire smoke here in Oregon for over a week with AQI over 400 or "hazardous" levels.  I did not open my bedroom window during the high AQI period, but we did have some seepage through the bathroom vent fan.  I thought it would be enough if I closed the door to that area; apparently not!

I am a little disappointed the provider didn't check the filters.

See attached pic for better understanding.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Effects of Western Wildfire Smoke
Yes, I too, am shocked that the filters weren't checked.  Rolleyes

I'm in the high country of AZ., and here, the smoke isn't bad at all. Can't even smell it. I check my filters every now & then, but they just don't get dirty. My machine is now over two years old, and I think I've changed the filter twice. And, I only changed it because I felt it was the right thing to do, not because it was dirty. 

I now just wash them in warm water and a drop of Dawn dish soap. It takes me about 1 minute or less. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. 

I have quite a supply of the filters on hand, as they keep sending me some.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in Portland, where it has been so bad that visibility has been seriously impaired for over a week. Right now visibility is down to about three blocks - enough for driving at city speeds, but they have closed the airport again. I am staying indoors where I have a Hepa air cleaner big enough for about 150 m2. The streets all over the city are deserted, as no one is going outside if they can avoid it. Everyone is praying for a major rainstorm.

Regarding your filters, I was told by a fellow at Supplier #2 that the motor in a Dreamstation won't last for over a year if you run it with a dirty filter, so I strongly recommend putting in a clean one. If you run out they are available online for cheap prices, but I'm so frugal that I put my dirty ones in the dishwasher silverware holder, and they come out like new.
Post Reply Post Reply
That tends to define irony. These DMEs tell us "change the filter" at most every turn. They certainly send out enough filters to change them frequently. Then you take in your PAP to get it checked. Check the filter as part of the inspection...nah why would they do that? As for yours, it certainly shows what the filter caught and a drastic comparison at that. Curious? Does your PAP run better after the filter was changed by you?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, bad practice by the provider. However, I'm even surprised by that photo showing one week of normal use. Do you live in an urban area? Mine get dusty, but it's a white dust when there are no wildfires around.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the Bay Area in California, and I was surprised that after one week of bad air quality, my filter was looking gray. I had been keeping the windows closed, but the house is old and far from tight. I'll be checking the filters more frequently during the fire season!
Post Reply Post Reply
My filters are not rewashable, and they are generally white when they are new.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it the white "monthly" filters you wash or just the so called "permanent" gray filter?
Post Reply Post Reply
So far I have been unable to reply to a specific thread entry.  My reply gets stacked at the end of all replies.  Not sure why or if it can be made to a specific reply.

Anyhow after 1 night with new filters my Dreamstation is working much better.  I have a question or two for my provider, but will wait on that since they isolate the person who may know the answer from the users due to the COVID excuse.  They need to work on better ways to communicate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2020, 01:39 PM)Azor Wrote: So far I have been unable to reply to a specific thread entry.  My reply gets stacked at the end of all replies.  Not sure why or if it can be made to a specific reply.

Azor,
Here is a tutorial on ways to reply to a post.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=31
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Digestive side effects of CPAP use davide.fez 1 461 08-27-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Adding EPR had unexpected effects TiredTom111 12 1,600 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does CPAP/APAP therapy cause any side effects? Adam Szczyglo 2 791 07-28-2023, 06:27 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 793 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  How long to feel positive effects of CPAP parkdj808 12 1,207 03-26-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: parkdj808
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.