Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Effects of Western Wildfire Smoke
RE: Effects of Western Wildfire Smoke
Here in AZ, we're getting second-hand smoke from California and New Mexico. Normally I change my filters every three months, even if they don't look like they need it. Now they are beginning to turn gray in a month.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today it finally rained in Portland. I haven't been out for a walk in ten days. I walked out in front of my house and neighbors up and down the street were all out in their yards, joyous at being finally able to breathe clean air!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2020, 08:20 PM)JJJ Wrote: Today it finally rained in Portland. I haven't been out for a walk in ten days. I walked out in front of my house and neighbors up and down the street were all out in their yards, joyous at being finally able to breathe clean air!

Such happy news, JJJ!  We got a little sprinkle in the SF Bay Area yesterday, and I wanted to go out and dance around in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our monsoon season here in AZ. has been pretty much a complete bust, in regards to little to no rain. So far, I think I heard we've had a little over 1" or so, and the season officially ends in 10 days.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to thank Azor for starting this thread.

It made me check my filter and it was surprisingly dark but not nearly as bad as his. I'm in the wildfire area but 1) I had just put in a new filter shortly before and 2) my HVAC system has a pretty good filter.

So I never would have thought to check my filter ahead of the monthly reminder from my Dreamstation.

Apneaboard is an invaluable resource. Threads like this make it clear. I just made a small donation to help keep it going.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2020, 11:34 AM)JJJ Wrote: I'm in Portland, where it has been so bad that visibility has been seriously impaired for over a week. Right now visibility is down to about three blocks - enough for driving at city speeds, but they have closed the airport again. I am staying indoors where I have a Hepa air cleaner big enough for about 150 m2. The streets all over the city are deserted, as no one is going outside if they can avoid it. Everyone is praying for a major rainstorm.

Regarding your filters, I was told by a fellow at Supplier #2 that the motor in a Dreamstation won't last for over a year if you run it with a dirty filter, so I strongly recommend putting in a clean one. If you run out they are available online for cheap prices, but I'm so frugal that I put my dirty ones in the dishwasher silverware holder, and they come out like new.

I'm in Milwaukie OR so pretty much the same pollution as PDX.  Fortunately the rains came last Friday and really cleared the air up as you know.

I posted my original post to save anyone with the same experience I had of making a near worthless trip to my provider.
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked my filter. only about `2 days old, and it wa really bad--completely gray with some black. We have a rpretty tight house, but were over 500 for about 10 days. Todays sun and pollution index of 25 is wonderful. We were 5 miles from the Beachie fire, all 190,000+ acres of it. Scary!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Digestive side effects of CPAP use davide.fez 1 461 08-27-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Adding EPR had unexpected effects TiredTom111 12 1,600 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does CPAP/APAP therapy cause any side effects? Adam Szczyglo 2 791 07-28-2023, 06:27 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Closed nostril side sleeping, deviated septum, PAP effects? sleepyzzz 7 793 07-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: sleepyzzz
  How long to feel positive effects of CPAP parkdj808 12 1,207 03-26-2023, 11:33 AM
Last Post: parkdj808
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.