Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Electromagnetic Field Issues
Exclaimation 
Electromagnetic Field Issues
NOTHING SAID HERE SHOULD BE INTERPRETED AS MEDICAL ADVICE, OR RECOMMENDATIONS TO DO ANYTHING BEFORE CONSULTING AN EXPERT IN CPAP AND ASSOCIATED TECHNOLOTIES, AS WELL AS EMF AND RELATED MEASUREMENT AND PREVENTION TECHNOLOGIES. DO NOT EVER OPEN YOUR MACHINE OR DEAL WITH YOUR HOUSE ELECTRICAL WIRING WITHOUT THIS WORK BEING DONE BY A TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED ELECTRICIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well friends, I have a few comments about CPAP. Your sleep doctor will probably not spend the time necessary to adjust your machine optimally, so fair warning! I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2008, and "titrated" in early 2009 for CPAP therapy. As I was prescribed this particular machine, I hardly see the need for all the variables studied in a typical polysomnogram (PSG), but, the more data the better, I suppose. The night of the titration study I came home to my wife, feeling better than I had in years that early in the morning--so, a great start with positive expectations, which is always desirable for medical treatment.

I was prescribed CPAP with THIS machine, ResMed AutoSet II, which is why I'm writing this comment in 2017. I looked at my PSG charts with my doctor, peeking first over the desk (I have a doctorate which fortunately, is respected in that office). I instantly saw a very obvious (to me) pattern. Hypoxia, hypopneas, and PLMDs (periodic limb movements) occurred ONLY when I was supine, on my back. Conclusion, sleep on my side. This was after a divorce, only months after I started CPAP, for which all the changes of masks, etc., were of NO help, especially the making generating additional oxygen.

I had another PSG this year--similar chart results. The sleep number bed at 90 still allowed me to end up supine, although at home I use a wedge that prevents this. When you have a PSG, I recommend duplication as close as possible to what you do at home, for whatever reason. I had to learn to sleep on my side because I have an orthopedic condition for which supine position is recommended, so for years I'd be trying to sleep on my back, which helped my condition, but not my sleep.

This year's PSG showed hypoxia down to about 85 percent, which is bad, and an average of 92 percent, which is pretty bad for a normal person who is not overweight. So, I asked, what about trying again. I heard there were new and better machines. Looks like the tubing and masks have not improved. My doctor said to bring the machine in, and he would have it adjusted to max and min air flow (20 and 6 for this machine). At 6 for onset, I was gasping for air. I got it set at 8, and will try that tonight. There is no question I felt better when waking using the machine. At my age now, 60s, I'm not as worried about the effects of the plastics, etc.

However, I did take EMF (electromagnetic field) readings around the machine. These were unacceptably high in a sphere of around 2-3 feet from the machine (5-50 milligauss).

If you are exposed to EMF, 0.5 milligauss is recommended by experts in that field. I always use headphones with my smartphone. I've adjusted the bedroom and am using 4 Grtaham-Stetzer microsurge filters. If you are not familiar with this area, I suggest getting a Trifield 100 meter and learning about this, especially if you have children. You could end up spending another 100 bucks for a Graham-Stetzer analyser (plug-in; 30 GS units or less is desirable, 50 or less is hopeful after adding the filters).

To my knowledge, no manufacturer makes any of these machines with a nod toward post 1995 developing EMF filtering and barrier technology, although they obviously should, because the machine is operating near your head (brain cancer, anyone?).

I do hope to hear from anyone who reads this. Of course, these issues apply to newer machines, not only the ResMed AutoSet II, which is fairly old technology but probably still in use by thousands of people with sleep breathing problems.
Oh-jeez

NOTHING SAID HERE SHOULD BE INTERPRETED AS MEDICAL ADVICE, OR RECOMMENDATIONS TO DO ANYTHING BEFORE CONSULTING AN EXPERT IN CPAP AND ASSOCIATED TECHNOLOTIES, AS WELL AS EMF AND RELATED MEASUREMENT AND PREVENTION TECHNOLOGIES. DO NOT EVER OPEN YOUR MACHINE OR DEAL WITH YOUR HOUSE ELECTRICAL WIRING WITHOUT THIS WORK BEING DONE BY A TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED ELECTRICIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Electromagnetic Field Issues
Say doctor, it seems to my you should trade in the S8 Autoset antique for a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Not only is the new machine better, but you can actually get a mini-PSG every night and read it with ResScan or free #Sleepyhead software. If you're worried about EMF, put the machine in a drawer, with the hose routed out the back, and you can take off the tin foil headgear. Most importantly, your machine is at the end of it's useful life and would have over 21,000 hours of use by now. You need a replacement to avoid being stranded without any CPAP therapy. The S8 Autoset is obsolete...replace it.

Lots of improvements have occurred with the machines. I disagree with your statement "Looks like the tubing and masks have not improved". Heated humidifiers with humidity sensors and heated hoses that can prevent rain-out, better auto CPAP algorithms, better data reporting, better event sensors, bluetooth and wireless data transmission, and much much better masks. You seem to be using one, the Airfit P10.

It is an understood condition of reading this forum that the information is not medical advise. I don't mean to be critical, it's paradoxical that you pay so much attention to technical detail and yet use an obsolete outdated machine that can't give you data...and your physician set you up for a PSG test with it? This makes no sense.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Thank you Kaleun for sharing your knowledge of EMF. I would be interested in measuring my Resmed A10 as it has a built in cell phone. I have it set for airplane mode which should mean it's turned off. There was a thread awhile back that showed how to open up he machine and unplug the phone...
Thanks, Kaleun, for the laugh. Not had a good one all day.

Player, even if this person's "data" is correct, you are safe. Unless you are using your CPAP as a pillow. But then, you'd have other problems.

(still laughing)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Hi Kaleun,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should consider getting a newer machine, the technology has greatly improved.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Time to build a Faraday cage for my Dreamstation. Or maybe just buy a 10ft hose.
If you are worried about the field, buy a longer hose and more it further away - the field falls off rapidly with distance. Don't make solving an easy problem more complicated.
It would be nice if this thread got locked. It's purpose was to promote the EMF filters and analyzer, not sleep apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(10-17-2016, 06:31 PM)NorthernGuy Wrote: If you are worried about the field, buy a longer hose and more it further away - the field falls off rapidly with distance. Don't make solving an easy problem more complicated.

Most cell antennas are as close to omnidirectional as you are likely to find, and the power density output falls as the square of the distance. E.G. the power intensity at two feet is four times lower than the power intensity at one foot. And at 10 feet it is 100 times less than at 1 foot. And if you are worried about the cell phone in the machine your smart phone next to your ear will put out maybe a hundred times the R.F. intensity of the machine five feet away, so you better stop using your cell phone, or enclose yourself in a grounded Fariday cage. A tin foil hat won't help at all.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 192 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 217 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.