Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Email from Doc on new machine preference
Angry 
Email from Doc on new machine preference
Todays messages from the sleep Doctor.....

ApneaGuy To:

Dr. Sleep ,
Got your message..... It was nice meeting you and I look forward to working with you to help control my sleep apnea disorder.
I do have a question...... I will be coming in on March 14th to repeat the titration study, with a followup consultation with you shortly after. As it stands now it looks like I might end up with a new Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) machine. I've been doing a lot of research on sleep apnea itself and the machines being used to help control the disorder. After all the research, my question is...... would I be able to ask for and recommend an ASV machine, that will meet my needs and also provide me with data, in which I will be able to monitor my progress on an ongoing basis? This is important for me ! If this is possible that would be great, I have a couple of ASV machines in mind with one in particular. As discussed during our meeting I'm also researching the possibility of a new type of mask to wear.
Thank You!
ApneaGuy

Reply from Sleep Doctor:
---------- Original Message ----------
Sent: Wed 2/18/2015 1:20:11 PM GMT
To: ApneaGuy
Subject: Re:Question????
ApneaGuy - good questions about the ASV machine. In our lab we use the Resmed brand ASV machine to do our sleep studies. So the outcome of that study will be specific to the Resmed ASV (full name is the Resmed VPAP Adapt ASV). At the ASV level, the machines have very sophisiticated algorithms which are different enough that one cannot move between brands without being restudies in a sleep lab. So unfortunately, as we only use the Resmed brand in our sleep lab, the findings/ settings would only apply to Resmed ASV machines. You can talk to your durable medical equipment company about getting more data output from your machine - you can often sign up for that access (I think there is a few associated with it.) Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sleep Doctor

It's a good thing that I was actually looking at CPAP machines from ResMed. I've been using a Rispironics BiPap ST for the last 5 years. Had another (4th) sleep study this past Jan.28th and they could not get the centrals under control, so that's why the upcoming study in March on an ASV machine.
Well I'm concerned that they will try to push the Resmed VPAP Adapt ASV which I'm afraid will be out dated in the next year or two. I'm leaning toward the AirCurve 10 CS-A.
Added note...... I actually called my current DME after getting these emails. Speaking with the rep, I stated my concerns and let him know that I would not settle for anything less than an AirCurve 10, which he said he would note on my computer file.
At my consultation after the March sleep study, I'm going to ask for a copy (both paper and digital) of my prescription. Just in case I should need to search for another DME.

Any thoughts or ideas that I might have missed.......Thanks ApneaGuyOh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Email from Doc on new machine preference
Looks like you covered the bases. Always ask for copies of everything -- sleep studies too.

As for "At the ASV level, the machines have very sophisiticated algorithms which are different enough that one cannot move between brands without being restudies in a sleep lab." I'm throwing the BS flag. [Image: bs.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with JustMongo Just ask your doc to specify the auto (data capable) and not specify a brand. Your argument is that you are already accustomed to that brand and prefer to stay with it. That is partially why I wanted to stay with Resmed as that is what I have been used to and I didn't want to have to add to my woes by switching to a different brand. Stick to your guns on this one. You are the one that has to live with it for at least 5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be interesting to know the differences between Resmed VPAP Adapt ASV and the AirCurve 10 CS-A. Not a lot of those machines out there. There is not a lot of difference between the S9 and Airsense 10 series other than integrated humidifier, but I'm sure that there are some improvements. I would think however that any study recommendations would be applicable to either machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with JustMongo re the BS meter. However, I did find a big difference between machines - I found the PR Auto ASV (can't remember the actual name) to be quite uncomfortable and it did not get my AHI below about 15. The Resmed VPAP Adapt feels much gentler, and my AHI is normally below 2 (from an original 62). So while the doc is applying a liberal coating of bulldust regarding the tests, the machines can be quite different in the results they produce. Some people have great results on Resmed, others find the PR much better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,431 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 680 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Email from Philips offering an "auto-adjusting CPAP" instead of the DS2 frogger 38 3,939 02-18-2023, 01:31 PM
Last Post: GWild
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,871 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Buckwheat Hull Pillow Size Preference? StratCat48 4 738 08-22-2022, 05:44 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Questions on Oscar Preference Settings slam7241 3 533 07-02-2022, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,345 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.