Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Equipment Performance of my Respironics CPAP
Equipment Performance of my Respironics CPAP
I am a totally new member on the forum. I am using Philips Respironics REMstar System one Auto CPAP with A Flex  (SN on the machine shown as P05568075  5C88; REF shown as 551P) .

Though I am using above machine for about 6 yrs and have benefitted tremendously also but my knowledge about the eqpt has been almost nil till recently when I accessed the forum. I have now downloaded the OSCAR software from the forum site, installed it and imported the data from the SD card. Data appears extremely sophisticated and will take time in fully understanding it. Prima facie it appears OK .  However shall be glad if someone could clarify following :

1. Which series does my machine belong to?

2. Data shows Average Leak Rate to be 2.76 and 95% leak rate to be 13. What are the implications of these figures and are they satisfactory

3. Though I have to get up a couple of times at night (I have diabetes) , I get a good nights sleep otherwise. Since I have, for some time, started feeling sleepy during daytime I want to ask that if performance parameters are Ok is there any possibility of malfunction in the machine.

4. I have been advised to get a sleep study done with my machine. Want to know if this is likely to serve any purpose.

Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Equipment Performance of my Respironics CPAP
Hi Galuta. Welcome to Apnea Board.

If you've been using your machine for 6 years, it's time to review your progress and maybe adjust the settings or perhaps consider getting a new machine if necessary. Just taking your questions one-by-one:

1. The naming convention of Philips machines is guaranteed to confuse even the most erudite fellow. However I seem to remember that the 500 Series 1 was a pretty good auto machine. Perhaps some of the Philips users can confirm that.

2. Those leak numbers are OK. The machine can cope OK with that level of leakage. However sometimes the leaks can disturb your sleep, eg blowing into your eyes or making "face fart" noises. If that's happening you may need to review your mask and how it fits.

3. The machines are generally very reliable so it's not likely to have a problem. Typically if something goes wrong it will give you some kind of error message or else just stop working. More likely your body has changed as you've got older and you need to revisit your settings. Your tiredness could also be a symptom of other conditions such as vitamin deficiency, thyroid problem etc. Your doctor may order a suite of blood tests to rule out these common problems.

4. Before spending a lot of money on a sleep test, I suggest that you download and install OSCAR software. Oscar is a free program which will read the data from your machine and present very detailed graphs and charts which will quickly show up any problems with your apnea treatment.

Download Oscar here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Installation instructions: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...stallation

Oscar help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...OSCAR_Help
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is formally known as the Philips Respironics System One Auto CPAP 50 Series. You are apparently in your 6th year of use and it's time to begin looking for a replacement. If you post a typical daily details chart from OSCAR, we can tell you exactly where you stand, and assuming nothing complex is there, you can probably avoid the need for a sleep study. This will save money you can put towards your next machine. instructions for posting a chart are in my signature links.

My preferred auto CPAP is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It is faster to respond to obstructive events, and more comfortable due to the way it implements "Exhale Pressure Relief" (EPR). It actually provides a bilevel (BiPAP) pressure with up to 3-cmH2O difference between inhale and exhale. Not sure about availability near you, but several vendors on our supplier list do export machines for reasonable shipping costs. Check with Supplier #2 and Supplier #33.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Deep Breathing and Sleep Rider for your respective responses.

I have already started using the OSCAR and also imported available data from the my machine. Some of the basic information which may be important is posted.

[attachment=13648][attachment=13649][attachment=13650][attachment=13651]

Shall be grateful if members could scrutinise the data and enlighten me on following aspects:

1. Comments on the general performance of the machine.

2. Whether feeling of tiredness/headache which I suffer from during daytime could in any way be connected with performance of the machine (of course, possibility of these feelings could very well be due to the many health issues that I have).

3. Does the data indicate need for change of the machine. If yes some good machines may pl be recommended.

Thx.
Post Reply Post Reply
You numbers look great but you still have a few snores at the lowest pressures of 4 i would raise the minimum pressure to 7 or 8 where your machine spends most if its time anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with jaswilliams that the numbers as presented look very good. An increase of your minimum pressure could reduce the snoring which is still occurring. However the only session you've shown us in any detail seems to be the afternoon nap. Looking at the overview it seems that all your sleep sessions are fragmented. Could I ask you to re-post the overview chart and turn off the graphs for everything except Usage and Session times. You can select these using the little pop-up menu at the bottom right of the screen. (See illustration here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rview_Page )

Your machine appears to be working correctly. However as it is getting rather old you might want to replace it and keep this machine as a backup. For a new machine we generally recommend the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (or Autoset for Her). However as you have successfully been using a Philips machine the current model Dreamstation Auto might be suitable for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am grateful for the very quick responses.

As suggested, I will change the min pressure to 7 at earliest.

I post below the Overview Chart for Usage and Session times for consideration.

[attachment=13660]

Shall be glad for any further guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Galuta. It's obvious you're getting very fragmented sleep - I can't see an instance where you slept right through without interruption. This probably means that you're not going through all the necessary stages of sleep to get totally refreshed. So we need to work out why you're waking up so frequently There is a discussion on this topic here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing--25742

One question I'll pose is "do you really need the afternoon nap?" If you could avoid that, your body may be ready for a deeper sleep at night. I'm speaking from experience - I always loved my afternoon nap but I sleep better at night now that I keep going through the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
The detailed chart was less than 1-hour in duration. Your average hours per night was 7-8 over the week prior to that, so better information in the longer sessions. Your average pressure is about 8-cm and 95% pressure around 11.0, so I think your minimum pressure should be moved up to 8.0 with the Philips machine. Even though your AHI is low, your continue to have flow limitation, and I think the higher pressure would help.

Overall, you appear to be clinically treated, but you need to pursue settings that are also comfortable and relieve your other symptoms.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for the concern showed by menbers in my problems.

Min pressure has already been changed to 8. The suggestion to forgo afternoon nap is a good one but this is an old habit. However will try to forget about it henceforth.

Two small questions :

(a) in view of the usage data will it be of any benefit to reduce the max pressure settings to say 14 or 15. What are the pros and cons of tinkering with it.

(b) what is the normal life of such machines. Any life indicated by manufacturers

Though I have been using my CPAP to great benefit since almost 7 yrs; once I have begun to understand the workings of the CPAP, after joining the forum , I somehow  feel inchage of my treatment and happier.

Thx a lot everyone for all their help and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,067 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 376 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 261 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.