Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] F20 Cushion
F20 Cushion
Hi all, I’m a newbie here. I’ve been using a cpap for a little over a month now and just received my first replacement cushion for my AirFit F20 and it is very stiff. Is that normal? I don’t remember my original cushion being like this. My average pressure throughout the night is about 13-15 with it sometimes going as high has 18 to 20 for an extended time period. So I have to tighten my mask tighter than I would like so it doesn’t leak at higher pressures. As a result it’s leaving pressure marks on my face and nose that my original didn’t do. Is there a way to soften it up or should I go back to my original mask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F20 Cushion
Hello, I’m a newbie @ Apnea Board as well. I’ve used many types of masks; nasal cushions, pillows, full-face, etc. and found lots of variances with replacement cushions. I would contact your DMG supplier and ask for another. It’s not unusual for a manufacturer to produce a bad batch.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20 and replacement cushions have been as flexible as the original. If your original still works well, continue to use it. My replacements are spares. Ive been using the original for 2.5 years with no issues.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 12:49 PM)Melman Wrote: I use the F20 and replacement cushions have been as flexible as the original. If your original still works well, continue to use it. My replacements are spares. Ive been using the original for 2.5 years with no issues.

Thank you. Can you do that with the rest of the equipment also as long as you clean them regularly? I washed the new one along with my other equipment this morning and the hot water softened it up so hopefully tonight I’ll have a better experience. Thanks again for your answer

(11-03-2019, 12:43 PM)hamiltonrrwatch Wrote: Hello, I’m a newbie @ Apnea Board as well. I’ve used many types of masks; nasal cushions, pillows, full-face, etc. and found lots of variances with replacement cushions. I would contact your DMG supplier and ask for another. It’s not unusual for a manufacturer to produce a bad batch.

I washed it along with my other equipment and it softened up so hopefully I’ll have a better experience tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 01:57 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: Thank you. Can you do that with the rest of the equipment also as long as you clean them regularly?

Yes. I use my humidifier chambers until they develop leaks. I've been using my current hose for over a year. The only item I replace per the supplier recommended schedule is the filter. I keep at least one spare of everything on hand in case of a failure. I feel no obligation to pay the DME and manufacturer any more than is necessary.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:09 PM)Melman Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:57 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: Thank you. Can you do that with the rest of the equipment also as long as you clean them regularly?

Yes. I use my humidifier chambers until they develop leaks. I've been using my current hose for over a year. The only item I replace per the supplier recommended schedule is the filter. I keep at least one spare of everything on hand in case of a failure. I feel no obligation to pay the DME and manufacturer any more than is necessary.
Ok great cause I feel the same way. Thanks for all the advice. In the short time that I’ve been on a cpap machine I’ve realized there is a ton of things that DME’s do that to me are very shady and end up parting you with your money when in reality it should’ve stayed in your pocket
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 09:51 AM)Osiris357 Wrote: Hi all, I’m a newbie here. I’ve been using a cpap for a little over a month now and just received my first replacement cushion for my AirFit F20 and it is very stiff. Is that normal? I don’t remember my original cushion being like this. My average pressure throughout the night is about 13-15 with it sometimes going as high has 18 to 20 for an extended time period. So I have to tighten my mask tighter than I would like so it doesn’t leak at higher pressures. As a result it’s leaving pressure marks on my face and nose that my original didn’t do. Is there a way to soften it up or should I go back to my original mask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did your first Airfit F20 mask have memory foam or just silicon, as memory foam seals a lot better and feels very comfortable
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2019, 03:58 AM)AFM1 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:51 AM)Osiris357 Wrote: Hi all, I’m a newbie here. I’ve been using a cpap for a little over a month now and just received my first replacement cushion for my AirFit F20 and it is very stiff. Is that normal? I don’t remember my original cushion being like this. My average pressure throughout the night is about 13-15 with it sometimes going as high has 18 to 20 for an extended time period. So I have to tighten my mask tighter than I would like so it doesn’t leak at higher pressures. As a result it’s leaving pressure marks on my face and nose that my original didn’t do. Is there a way to soften it up or should I go back to my original mask? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did your first Airfit F20 mask have memory foam or just silicon, as memory foam seals a lot better and feels very comfortable

Silicone. I've been thinking about trying the AirTouch and seeing how that goes
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2019, 03:58 AM)AFM1 Wrote:

My problem is the high pressure I need. Have to tighten the mask way too tight to get it to stop leaking during the "mask fit" option. I try and back it off some but it leaks every time around my nose. So I'm not sure if the AirTouch would be any different but it's worth a shot
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been left with the impression of new cushions being harder than used. To complicate things, I've been changing sizes sometimes as well. However, as for over tightening, then in my opinion, that means it isn't the right mask for you. CPAP and masks aren't required to be completely void of discomfort, but to add pain...then something is wrong with your "package".
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 231 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 559 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 543 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 422 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 2,069 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Surprised ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal Cushion & P10 pillows WW4B 1 785 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 565 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.