Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] FFM: Stomach Sleeper with Beard
FFM: Stomach Sleeper with Beard
Hi all, lots of great information in here!  I wish I discovered it earlier in my CPAP journey. 

Anyway,  I read some threads, but thought I would post new.  I have some high leak rates that occur off and on throughout the night that I want to try to address.  I'll post sleepyhead data later -- I just started using sleepyhead and I have a cold, I want to post after I have some normal sleep data.  

I use P10 pillows (mediums) with my ResMed 10, I have a beard, and I sleep on my stomach the vast majority of the night.  I have been waking up more and more and my leak rates indicate high leaks that peak.  I'm sure its the mask.  I may try the large pillows to see if that helps, but I have been wanting to try a FFM and especially with my current cold I really wish I had one.

Suggestions on FFM with a beard and a stomach sleeper?  Thanks  Feel free to suggest anything else that may help too!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FFM: Stomach Sleeper with Beard
Welcome to the forum.

FYI Sleepyhead Daily charts frequently tell us what kind of leak is occurring. We frequently distinguish between a mask leak and a mouth leak.

Stomach sleeper makes it hard.  Face down or to the side?  Doesn't really matter. You need to support your head with the mask off to the side of the pillow.  With the P10 I find the weight of the hose is enough to cause some real severe mask leaks as the hose pulls the mask.  I bought a hose management device that wraps around the main hose and clips to my pillow, Would work with clipping to PJs too, to support the main hose.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, could you post a picture of what it is you're using to clip the hose to the pillow?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's one from Amazon [Image: bjPtii8m.jpg]
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's it  Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys!
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2018, 05:05 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

FYI Sleepyhead Daily charts frequently tell us what kind of leak is occurring. We frequently distinguish between a mask leak and a mouth leak.

Stomach sleeper makes it hard.  Face down or to the side?  Doesn't really matter. You need to support your head with the mask off to the side of the pillow.  With the P10 I find the weight of the hose is enough to cause some real severe mask leaks as the hose pulls the mask.  I bought a hose management device that wraps around the main hose and clips to my pillow, Would work with clipping to PJs too, to support the main hose.

Fred

Thanks!  I sleep face down, with my mask down off the side of the pillow.   I tried a chinstrap which kept my mouth closed, but the MyAir (I know, I know) data still showed high leak number.

I will post my daily chart later.  I think I have one day pre-cold, so I'll start a thread on that to see what everyone thinks.   I just don't know if that day is a typical day.  It is interesting data, but I do need help understanding it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep your posts here, that will maintain a history.  
Post several of your charts together (attach them)
Helping you learn, that's what we do.  If you don't understand a recommendation just ask.

There are 2 phases to treatment, The numbers, that's the easy part.  Your comfort, that is just as important so let us know how you feel.

Keep in mind that those helping you have been doing this for a lot of years.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
If a different view or more charts would be useful please let me know.  These charts are from my first night with the SD card plugged in, although I am 9 months in using my CPAP.   

I would love to hear any recommendation to improve my therapy.  When I first started I felt great it was amazing.  I would have perfect scores on MyAir.  Things are not as good as the first four or five months, but I still feel really good.  However, I do wake up several times a night now.  Generally I fall right back asleep, but not always.  If I don't fall back asleep, I often shift to my back for a while, but always turn back to my stomach to fall asleep.   MyAir now shows high leaks rates.

The leaks seem to be getting worse over the last 4 months or so.  I am ~10 months using my CPAP.

Thanks in advance for your help and input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you replaced the headgear to your mask in that time?
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 446 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,250 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  airfit: switching to P30i for side sleeper from P10??? rebean 2 583 09-28-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: rebean
  Beard with a full mask AirTouch F20 resmed Slopey 5 1,206 09-09-2023, 08:36 PM
Last Post: NorthCoastLocal
  Best mask for beard! Red Sunset 11 4,273 08-29-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SolidPaint
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 681 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 606 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.