Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Huge Mask Leaks/Weight Loss?
Question 
Huge Mask Leaks/Weight Loss?
Hi everyone!  I've been away for a while, frankly  because I had something else to deal with and my therapy had       been going well.  Over the last month though, I have been experiencing a LOT of large air leaks, to the point that I am taking my mask off at night.  I am now at a point now that I am no longer compliant, so I need to get this issue under control.

A couple of notes:
Been on CPAP since May 1 this year and my sleep had dramaticallly improved.  I was able to use my machine for 8+ hours nightly from the beginning.  
Started WW in July and have been steadily losing weight.  I have now lost a total of 35 lbs.
I developed LCV Vasculitus in August.  I have been on various dosages of Prednisone since then.  I expect to be off the Prednisone entirely by next week.  I do not think this has any baring, but who knows.
I've always been a mouth breather, so I wear FF.  I usually start sleeping on my side, but almost always end up on my back.
A couple of days ago, I went from a small frame to a medium in hope that my mouth would no longer drop below the bottom edge of the mask.  That part seems to have worked - but I'm still having really bad leaks.

I've tried tightening, loosening, changing out mask cushions and straps.  I'm going to start to go down on pressure tonight.  Aside from that, I don't know what else to try.  Am I on the right track?  I've got to get this under control and get back in compliance.

I've added several of the last days worth of Oscar data, along with a shot from back in the beginning of October where things were going just fine.  I've had this issue primarily since the beginning of November.  Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Huge Mask Leaks/Weight Loss?
Hi.  It would be helpful if you posted the leak chart so that we could correlate the time at which other events happen.  It might not be that useful, but who's to say without the information in front of us.

It may be that, with the weight loss, you could actually need a different configuration of FF mask.  Different rim geometry, or different seal, maybe one added, say a memory foam?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this is what you are looking for?

Also a couple more days that better show the leak times.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The leak rate graph mesenteria was referring to was no doubt within the Daily tab but you'd need to scroll down a bit.

I've had 100 pound weight loss via bariatric sleeve surgery in 2016, and that affected my mask leaks. So yes, weight loss could affect mask fit and leak rates.

You might need to consider the following to obtain the desired leak control:

Strap adjustment-check Mask Fit in the wiki if you'd like, change cushion size (like you've done), mask liners, other brand or model mask, not an all inclusive list.

I've gotten S M and L in the ResMed F20 AirFit and a M AirTouch F20. The medium AirFit is best in leak control for me of the ones I've got.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 439 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 199 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 428 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 211 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 336 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 138 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 554 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.