Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Filter change time!
RE: Filter change time!
Yeah, my S9 came with two filters in the machine. I know in some of the machines, the hypo-allergenic filter is extra.
I bought some spare filters and I opted to get the Resmed brand.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine now are just two pieces of material that feel a lot like non-stick bandages. I've been trying to think if the two it came with were the same. Seems as though they were.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2012, 07:52 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Mine now are just two pieces of material that feel a lot like non-stick bandages. I've been trying to think if the two it came with were the same. Seems as though they were.

Paula, you're describing the hypoallergenic filters.

I think an RT may have put 2 filters into both yours and Trish's machines by confusing a ResMed with a Respironics machine that DOES use 2 filters, there's no way you could put 2 standard filters into the filter holder, they're too thick and the holder would pop-off or break. Just in case, ResMed does sell new filter holders too, about $6.

Believe me, if ResMed intended for patients to use 2 filters they would clearly say to do so in at least 1 of their manuals.

I still find it mind-boggling that they only recommend for users to change them every 6 months for the S9 series, my S8 manual said change it monthly.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2012, 09:00 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 07:52 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Mine now are just two pieces of material that feel a lot like non-stick bandages. I've been trying to think if the two it came with were the same. Seems as though they were.

Paula, you're describing the hypoallergenic filters.

I think an RT may have put 2 filters into both yours and Trish's machines by confusing a ResMed with a Respironics machine that DOES use 2 filters, there's no way you could put 2 standard filters into the filter holder, they're too thick and the holder would pop-off or break. Just in case, ResMed does sell new filter holders too, about $6.

Believe me, if ResMed intended for patients to use 2 filters they would clearly say to do so in at least 1 of their manuals.

I still find it mind-boggling that they only recommend for users to change them every 6 months for the S9 series, my S8 manual said change it monthly.

IIRC these newfangled filters aren't supposed to be washed or something? I know that the filter with my Healthdyne machine (R.I.P. 1997-2012) was supposed to be washed regularly and I think I kept that same disgusting thing throughout the machine's life.
Post Reply Post Reply
No way in heck mine would last 6 months. The CPAP would cough and choke by week 8, if that long.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to try just using the hypo-allergenic filter in my machine tonight and see how I do. I mean, sure, it would be a bit easier to get the filter lid put on but I really didn't have any trouble doing it the other way, (Ha-Ha, who knows,) I'll let you know how it goes.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I tried using only the hypo-allergenic filter last night and everything worked just fine. The filter holder was slightly easier to put on, so I will keep doing it this way. It seemed like My machine was working more efficiently with just the one filter as aposed to using both of the filters, It seemed to "breathe" better, if that makes any sense, (Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2012, 09:50 PM)Ugly Wrote: IIRC these newfangled filters aren't supposed to be washed or something? I know that the filter with my Healthdyne machine (R.I.P. 1997-2012) was supposed to be washed regularly and I think I kept that same disgusting thing throughout the machine's life.

The filters for the ResMed S9 Series of machines are NOT suppossed to be washed & used again. They are meant to be disposed of once they become dirty.

However, I do know of at least a couple of people who DO wash the Standard filters (NOT the hypo-allergenic filters) & reuse them again. They claim they hold up well to washing.

I personally would not do that, nor would I recommend that anyone else do it. But, each person has to make up their mind as to what is acceptable to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2012, 05:21 PM)StuUnderPressure Wrote: The filters for the ResMed S9 Series of machines are NOT suppossed to be washed & used again. They are meant to be disposed of once they become dirty.

However, I do know of at least a couple of people who DO wash the Standard filters (NOT the hypo-allergenic filters) & reuse them again. They claim they hold up well to washing.

I personally would not do that, nor would I recommend that anyone else do it. But, each person has to make up their mind as to what is acceptable to them.

OK it's a new concept for me. But then again as I said I've used the old machine for a long long time and I'm still adapting to modern times. Like I'm Rip van Ugly and I'm waking up to a world that has considerably different CPAP machines than what I'm used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man, I have fallen off that ball! Or horse. Or however the phrase goes.

I hope y'all have been changing your CPAP filters look good boys and girls!

Anyway, time to change those filters! Count the ones you have on hand and make sure you have enough to last until the next batch comes in or you're eligible or whatever.

And, if you're like me and don't clean stuff as regularly as you should, take the time in the next week or so to clean everything. And while you're at that, check hoses and stuff for cracks. Check the mask bits for wear and tear. You know, stuff like that.

So, until next month, SLEEP WELL!

PS: yes, I know it is not the beginning nor end of the month but I hate April 1st and wanted to bypass that disaster of a day.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,427 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,702 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.