Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
RE: Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
Based on your sleep study titration results, you were titrated with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset to a pressure of 15.0 with EPR 3 and events continued to be observed. The clinic switched to bilevel and at 22/18 pressure your AHI dropped to 3 per hour. The answer to your question is to get the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, or VPAP-S and I suspect you may also need to pay attention to chin-tucking which will also block your airway. Setting pressure to fixed 22/18, or using Vauto mode (auto-bilevel) with a minimum EPAP of 16.0, PS 4 and maximum pressure of 25 is an option with the Vauto. Your pressure requirements are relatively high, and we can work with you to optimize results, and perhaps lower the pressure needs if you can use a soft cervical collar. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Based on page 2 of this sleep study, you could order today, and provide this study in lieu of prescription along with your doctor's phone number. I'm sure you will get your equipment very quickly. Supplier #2 has a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto for $799, and that will save you quite a bit of money. They should be able to guide you to a mask. Your study included use of a large Resmed Airfit P10 full face and Medium Mirage Quattro. I don't know if you may tolerate nasal pillows, but the full-face masks apparently got you to successful titration. Don't wait to get this done. I have rarely see obstructive sleep apnea and oxygen desaturation any worse. Your health is at high risk.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
Okay, after reviewing the documents that my doctor gave me, it seems that I had one central and wayyy more obstructive. Based on the advise I've been given so far, it seems that the S10 AirCurve VPAP Auto (VAuto) w/ Heated Humidifier is going to be my best bet. With that, I'll want to get an Airfit P10 nasal pillow kit.

Can I ask, what's the difference between that and the non auto version? Is the extra $100 really going to be worth it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I could justify the $100 extra for the Auto as in VAuto. I believe it can be set for pressure and/or pressure support as ranges instead of static pressures. This could be beneficial even on a nightly basis, when there's things that require variable pressures. It's also good long-term if therapy needs were to change.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2021, 08:38 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Based on your sleep study titration results, you were titrated with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset to a pressure of 15.0 with EPR 3 and events continued to be observed. The clinic switched to bilevel and at 22/18 pressure your AHI dropped to 3 per hour. The answer to your question is to get the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, or VPAP-S and I suspect you may also need to pay attention to chin-tucking which will also block your airway. Setting pressure to fixed 22/18, or using Vauto mode (auto-bilevel) with a minimum EPAP of 16.0, PS 4 and maximum pressure of 25 is an option with the Vauto. Your pressure requirements are relatively high, and we can work with you to optimize results, and perhaps lower the pressure needs if you can use a soft cervical collar. LINK

Based on page 2 of this sleep study, you could order today, and provide this study in lieu of prescription along with your doctor's phone number. I'm sure you will get your equipment very quickly. LINK has a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto for $799, and that will save you quite a bit of money. They should be able to guide you to a mask. Your study included use of a large Resmed Airfit P10 full face and Medium Mirage Quattro. I don't know if you may tolerate nasal pillows, but the full-face masks apparently got you to successful titration. Don't wait to get this done. I have rarely see obstructive sleep apnea and oxygen desaturation any worse. Your health is at high risk.

Lol, I didn't even see this second page when I responded earlier. Anyways, thanks for the heads up. I'll go ahead and snag a VAuto. Thank you. As for the mask, I'm so sleep deprived at this point that I can mostly fall asleep with most discomforts no problem. I remember trying three masks, but I don't remember which was which. The first night was definitely a nasal and I did quite enjoy it. It was weird at first, but I feel like I got used to it pretty well. The second night there were two masks. One wasn't able to seal on my face very well and blew air into my eye for an hour before I decided to say something. The one after that was a perfect fit, but I woke up at some point in the night and ripped it off for some reason. Any recommendations on that part? Do you think that the nasal mask will be enough or should I spring for a full face mask?

(02-28-2021, 11:44 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I could justify the $100 extra for the Auto as in VAuto. I believe it can be set for pressure and/or pressure support as ranges instead of static pressures. This could be beneficial even on a nightly basis, when there's things that require variable pressures. It's also good long-term if therapy needs were to change.

I gotcha. Yeah, I'll grab a VAuto for sure. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow the advice above. It is solid!

My original AHI was in the 90'sand my pressure Rx was 19 fixed on a CPAP brick (It actually maxed out at 18cmw.)
On masks, try the P10 Pillow, it will give you the least fit and leak problem. It is also very quiet, when I started using the P10 my wife kept waking me up to see if I was still breathing since she couldn't hear me and my PAP breathing. There are solutions to "mouth breathing" (see the Mask Primer) if you need them. IF the P10 doesn't work for you there are other nasal masks and Full Face Masks as well. Try them in that order. On the nasal masks, there is a Mirage Activa. By today's standards, it is a very large nasal mask, but it has a floating seal, and handles higher pressures very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to bump my old post, but I've just received my ResMed S10 AurCurve VAuto and my Nasal Pillow mask. I'm supposed to set it up for 22/18, but I don't see how to do that in the settings. Can I please get some help setting up the machine? I have already installed the tubes and what not. It came with a climateline tube so I just set it to auto temp control.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a manual you should download but you need it quickly. I will go step by step

1. Trim on the maching my pressing the rb ((round button) noe the lights should be on but not running

2 hold down the Rb and the home button AT THE SAME TIME for about 5 seconds. Now you should see the top 2 options The one you want is the clinician menu. You do every thin in the clinician menu with the round button

Turn the RBI’s until you get to what you need to change. Press the Rb and put in the correct number.

You have to press the rb button to lock in the settings. If you don’t it will go back to the original number. If so do it again.

After you have made all changes you want to make press the home button.

At the very top of the screen is sages exit Clinician menu and you are done.

If this did not make sense look up on YouTube your model and watch it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
XProtify, I know you have been give a fixed bielvel pressure of 22/18, however I'm going to give you alternative settings for auto VPAP as well. This link is a tutorial on how to access the clinical settings https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info I recommend you follow Stacey's advise and get the clinical manual.

To setup your machine according to prescription, access the clinical settings and set the following:
Mode: VPAP S
EPAP: 18.0
IPAP: 22.0
All other settings remain at default, just exit the setup.

To setup your machine in Vauto mode with variable pressure, access the clinical settings and set the following:
Mode: Vauto
EPAP min 14.0
Pressure Support: 4.0
IPAP max pressure: 22.0

In Vauto mode you will have auto-adjusting pressure that maintains your prescribed pressure support of 4.0. These settings will start you slightly below your current prescription at 18/14 (IPAP /EPAP) pressure, but it can rise to 22/18 pressure. It should be more comfortable and easy to get used to. As I said before, I am confident there are things we can do to lower your pressure even more, and I strongly suspect you also have positional apnea that these high pressures are trying to address.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2021, 01:07 AM)staceyburke Wrote: There is a manual you should download but you need it quickly. I will go step by step

1. Trim on the maching my pressing the rb ((round button) noe the lights should be on but not running

2 hold down the Rb and the home button AT THE SAME TIME for about 5 seconds. Now you should see the top 2 options The one you want is the clinician menu. You do every thin in the clinician menu with the round button

Turn the RBI’s until you get to what you need to change. Press the Rb and put in the correct number.

You have to press the rb button to lock in the settings. If you don’t it will go back to the original number. If so do it again.

After you have made all changes you want to make press the home button.

At the very top of the screen is sages exit Clinician menu and you are done.

If this did not make sense look up on YouTube your model and watch it.

Thank you. When I made my way into the settings, I saw that it was actually already set up for me so I rolled with it. I just slept for 8 hours in a row on my side and only woke up once because my mouth opened so I had to shut it lol. I went back in to the software and it read that my ahi was 0.0 last night. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's a heck of a lot better than 194!

(03-07-2021, 08:44 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: XProtify, I know you have been give a fixed bielvel pressure of 22/18, however I'm going to give you alternative settings for auto VPAP as well. This link is a tutorial on how to access the clinical settings https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info I recommend you follow Stacey's advise and get the clinical manual.

To setup your machine according to prescription, access the clinical settings and set the following:
Mode: VPAP S
EPAP: 18.0
IPAP: 22.0

To setup your machine in Vauto mode with variable pressure, access the clinical settings and set the following:
Mode: Vauto
EPAP min 14.0
Pressure Support: 4.0
IPAP max pressure: 22.0

In Vauto mode you will have auto-adjusting pressure that maintains your prescribed pressure support of 4.0. These settings will start you slightly below your current prescription at 18/14 (IPAP /EPAP) pressure, but it can rise to 22/18 pressure. It should be more comfortable and easy to get used to. As I said before, I am confident there are things we can do to lower your pressure even more, and I strongly suspect you also have positional apnea that these high pressures are trying to address.

I just woke up to your message. I will go try those changes tonight and see if there's a difference. I had no trouble falling asleep with the machine though. I guess being severely sleep deprived will do that to you lol. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post your OSCAR nightly screenshot (F12) and let's see what happened, or did not happen. A zero is nice but fairly uncommon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 350 4 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,030 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 289 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.