Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
Money 
Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
Hello, I was finally just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea after several years of worsening sleep issues. It took two sleep studies with little help from my terrible insurance, but I've finally received the recommendation that I've been working towards. Thing is, my DME recommended a kit which would cost me $2,400 out of pocket because my insurance deductible is $5,200/yr.

I'm hoping that I can get some advise on what equipment I should be looking to pick up. My study recommendations list says that I should get a bipap tuned to 22/18 with a nasal mask and a heated humidifier. Being the idiot that I am, I left me actual print out at work so I won't have that until tomorrow, but if I remember correctly, I had around 178 central apneas with an AHI of 198. During the second test, they were able to get that down to 3.4 based on the set up that I just listed.

Do you have any recommendations for cheap but viable equipment that I should pick up? I'm currently looking at a gently used Respironics System One 660P with the humidifier attachment, but I haven't started looking at masks yet. I'm also seeing a MASSIVE difference in price between units, but I have no idea why. Any advice or links to review would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

First things first, do not get anything until you read our replies. Do not give the DME any bank, credit or debit card numbers. They don't need it to service you. They do need doctor info, script, and insurance, but again not your bank account etc. They may or may not be shady but let's not tempt them OK.

What did this kit contain from the DME? Whatever, it's too crazy expensive and probably has an ozone cleaner that you don't need. It'll probably include the wrong PAP machine, not even talking about not the best brand. Pump the brakes and read on friend.

Take note you have a choice in brand of PAP and mask. Exercise that right. Also HIPAA empowers you to get the detailed sleep study and titration reports and the script. Get all them for your personal file. AND post them redacted here.

This is just very preliminary without that specific study report. ResMed is the best PAP brand out there for most users. You will want OSCAR to see your therapy for yourself. It's free and created by members here from another similar program. Again it's free and necessary to PAP therapy success.

Now you mention lots of Central Apnea. You may need a top level Apnea machine called the ASV. IF this plays that way, you will need the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV or a similar ResMed 9 series ASV to save a bit of money. But let's not go that deep into that direction yet. Maybe a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet may work, but using high pressure may be less comfortable with this. So maybe you need BPAP if CA isn't as big a problem as your first post makes it seem. There's a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto as the best non-specialized bilevel.

So you see there's quite a few directions and unfortunately not all are going to be right. So we'll wait for your data at the office.

Till then take a breather and visit our Apnea Board virtual coffee machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I need advise on what equipment to get.
PS a supplier list is on the top banner. One reasonable cost option may be Supplier #2 Second Wind. Take a look while you sip your virtual coffee.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for all of the information. I will be contacting them first thing in the morning to receive the full readings. As for the DME, after I told them that I have nowhere near that amount of money for the kit (unsure of what was included), they quickly told me that they would cancel the order and hung up. It took me over 10 days to get ahold of them in the first place so I'm not sure how that'll work now. I'd really like to avoid them if at all possible based on their reaction to my lack of funds and insurance.

I've been trying to read into the different brands of PAP, but haven't even delved into the masks yet. I did see the sticky about OSCAR so I was on second wind trying to match models to confirmed working units on the Wiki. There's obviously way more that I need to know though so I'll put that on a temporary hold until I come back with my results.

As for the numbers that I gave, I probably shouldn't have spoken without looking at the breakdown I was given. I don't exactly remember if those were central or obstructive, but I will get the results and post them for review.

Thank you for all of the info. I'll be back tomorrow with some documents.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2021, 10:55 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: PS a supplier list is on the top banner. One reasonable cost option may be Supplier #2 Second Wind. Take a look while you sip your virtual coffee.

As SD said, since you're probably going to pay out of pocket, look at all the suppliers in our list, but Supplier #2 is where I'm pretty sure you're going to end up.

Also, be sure to get a copy of everything from your doc, especially the prescription. Most suppliers, even online suppliers, won't fill an order without the prescription. Scan it to a PDF so you can send it to people easily, or better yet, ask the doc's staff to send it to you as a PDF. Don't worry about dates on the prescription - I'm still using mine from ten years ago.

One more thing - the machines need some tweaking once you get one and start out with it, but the devil is in the mask. There are tons of masks on the market, and for good reason. I'm currently in mask #12, and lots of people try even more before finding one that they like.

And one final note - the wisdom that you will hear on Apnea Board is that Resmed is better than Respironics. I have both machines, and I far prefer and get better results with my Respironics than my Resmed. Take machine brand recommendations with a grain of salt.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you did NOT have a lot of central apnea the best “bilevel “ is a ResMed s10 aircurve VAUTO. There is a huge line of different pap machines and they do different things for different types of sleep problems. Please don’t get a Phillips dreamstation, we get so many people who can not get decent therapy with it and end up buying a ResMed out of pocket. 

You mentioned used - there is a supplier list at the top of this site. We can’t name suppliers by name but Supplier #2 sells both new, new open box and used machines. I and my son purchased a ResMed VAUTO from Supplier #2. Both are great machines mine had less tha one month and his less than one week. Cost was 799 each. They came with hoses and humidifier. Only thing you need will be a mask.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of suppliers online offer mask insurance where you can return a mask within 30 days if that does not work. So, keep that in mind because sometimes it takes a while to find the right mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
You mentioned you may have central sleep apnea. I do - or did until a week ago when I started using a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.  CPAP, Auto-PAP, and BiPAP dealt with my obstructive apnea well but not my central apnea. Recently ASV was prescribed. I found a very good price by searching on line. The vendor is not in the supplier list on ApneaBoard. I did as much research as I could on vendors before placing an order. It worked out very well. I am finally getting good sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
A new complete Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP machine with humidifier, tube and filter will cost $539 from Supplier #2. A bundle including the mask below costs $694 from Supplier #1, and they will discount 10% using their discount code. So it works out about the same. Either way, the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is the most highly recommended auto-CPAP and has all the capabilities you will need to get up and running with data and effective therapy.

You will need to add a complete mask kit which will be $80 to $100. I'll suggest you start with the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows which is the lightest and quietest mask you can buy and comes with 3 different nasal pillow sizes. If you need to go full face mask, that will likely be more, but lots of selections out there. The Airfit P10 is $95 from Supplier #2, and $97.80 from Supplier #1 before discounts. Supplier #1 offers a 30 day fit guarantee and that might be a good idea for your first mask.

Most of your purchases can be documented as out-of-network and submitted against your deductible to your insurance. Call your insurance agent for details or requirements. Either supplier above will take your order and if you provide your doctor's phone or fax number, they will take care of all the prescription collection, setting up the machine and shipping at no additional costs. You should have a machine by sometime next week. You may get a better price by talking in-person with one of the suppliers. There are minimum advertised price restrictions that result in higher prices sometimes being posted for online orders than if you call, and it gives you a chance to talk with a human being that will understand and answer any questions you have. As you can see, we are talking less than one-third the price you were previously quoted for a complete package. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
BPAP Buying Advice
Hello, I recently made a post looking for advise for a cheaper solution to obtaining a BiPap than what was offered from my DME. I was told to post my charts here for better help, so please see attached. I would like to say that my insurance will not be covering any of my expenses so I'm really looking to get out as cheaply as I can, which I may be able to do through Supplier #2.

Thank you all for any help or advise that you can give. I greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 380 3 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.