Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Finding what your insurance covers for DME
Finding what your insurance covers for DME
I have looked all over every policy document I can find, and while it says that in-network DME is covered at 100% I cannot find any list of qualified DME. Obviously that doesn't cover just any old thing your doctor will give you a prescription for, or why did I pay out of pocket for my new Aeron chair Wink

The question arises, because when I picked up my CPAP equipment there was an estimated charge of just under $400. Seems high considering that 100% DME Coverage I am paying a fine monthly premium to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finding what your insurance covers for DME
Could be they pay 100% after a deductible?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 06:48 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I have looked all over every policy document I can find, and while it says that in-network DME is covered at 100% I cannot find any list of qualified DME. Obviously that doesn't cover just any old thing your doctor will give you a prescription for, or why did I pay out of pocket for my new Aeron chair Wink

The question arises, because when I picked up my CPAP equipment there was an estimated charge of just under $400. Seems high considering that 100% DME Coverage I am paying a fine monthly premium to get.

Call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask them to explain the DME coverage. Coverage is different per insurance company but most insurances cover what Medicare covers as far as what DME equipment, supplies, etc., and replace supplies the same as Medicare allows.

I have only had one policy that paid 100% for all of my tests, supplies, office visits, prescriptions, etc. without a deductible and copay. Now, we have to pay 20% in network, 30% out of network except for prescriptions.
Post Reply Post Reply
it's 100% in network and 80% out of net. There is no deductible. I do pay more for this premium package, but its worth it to me. The DME supplier did not offer much in the way of choice, they held a class with 6 participants and the equipment was all there waiting for us, with the only choice offered being mask style. They gave us enough stuff to sign that it felt like buying a mini house Tongue I sent them an email asking why there would be a $400 charge when I am covered at 100% but no response yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
sounds like something Apria would do if it were me I would write down your information off of your machine and call ResMed and verify what kind of machine you have and when it was put into production somebody obviously have not checked your interests to see how it covers your supplies and equipment or call your insurance company if you can't get the DME to help I'm curious who your insurance provider is
Post Reply Post Reply
Your profile says you have an S9 AutoSet so you have the same best-of-breed CPAP machine I do. We all had to sign a bajillion forms. Welcome to health insurance and medical equipment bureaucracy. Smile

The DME doesn't know for sure what your insurance will pay and/or require for a copay until they bill it for the first time. I'm sure they have real world experience that what they're told over the phone when they get authorization for your equipment is different from what happens when they submit an invoice to the insurance company. If your insurance covers 100% of durable medical equipment, then you won't owe anything. I'd just tell the DME you want to wait until your insurance company has paid the first bill. They're likely going to be billing the insurance company monthly for machine rental and accessories like filters, nasal pillows, and the occasional hose, mask, & headgear. They can wait a few weeks for that first payment to see if you owe anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2014, 07:09 AM)me50 Wrote: sounds like something Apria would do if it were me I would write down your information off of your machine and call ResMed and verify what kind of machine you have and when it was put into production somebody obviously have not checked your interests to see how it covers your supplies and equipment or call your insurance company if you can't get the DME to help I'm curious who your insurance provider is

It's Cigna, and I pay extra for the "Premium" PMO plan offered at work. This makes sense because I am a diabetic (among other things) and my husband has other chronic issues. I don't think they make money on us Big Grin

(11-12-2014, 07:11 AM)GeoffD Wrote: Your profile says you have an S9 AutoSet so you have the same best-of-breed CPAP machine I do. We all had to sign a bajillion forms. Welcome to health insurance and medical equipment bureaucracy. Smile

The DME doesn't know for sure what your insurance will pay and/or require for a copay until they bill it for the first time. I'm sure they have real world experience that what they're told over the phone when they get authorization for your equipment is different from what happens when they submit an invoice to the insurance company. If your insurance covers 100% of durable medical equipment, then you won't owe anything. I'd just tell the DME you want to wait until your insurance company has paid the first bill. They're likely going to be billing the insurance company monthly for machine rental and accessories like filters, nasal pillows, and the occasional hose, mask, & headgear. They can wait a few weeks for that first payment to see if you owe anything.

Ok - I hope it is as you say. It does appear that the estimated amount is 20%. They haven't asked for any money yet, not from me, and not in on the MyCigna claims yet either.

now if I could get them to pay for one of those ozone cleaners!!! I do have a primary immune deficiency (unable to make antibodies to pneumococcus) clean is going to be extremely important for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,532 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,872 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 433 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,584 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.