Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Fixing my REMstar Auto A-flex myself?
Fixing my REMstar Auto A-flex myself?
Hi fellow CPAP users.
I am so happy to have come across this forum and hope I am doing things correctly. My CPAP has started to "start and stop" on me - which is something I've read others have experienced.
in my case, I can hear the motor starting to whirl... and it seems to want to "start going full speed" (and in fact HAS gone full speed a few times) before just ending and giving me the "service required" screen message.

I'm convinced the issue is related to dust as the environment I am in is very dusty (many pets, etc.). If I could just open the machine myself and clean it, the motor would go back to working as it should....
Am I being an idiot in thinking that I could open and fix this myself?
I need to be very careful with expenses....

i guess my choice is a) getting a shock trying to open and fix it
or
b) getting a bigger shock when I find out how much it will cost me to have it serviced (my provider is VERY expensive)
thank you for any information or advice you may have for me.
Have a great day - and a restful night.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixing my REMstar Auto A=flex myself?
Service required can be machine failure
This might reset the machine, unplug ... wait for few minutes and re-plug
Remove the SD card and see if the machine works without it
If you bought the machine new, new machines comes with two years warranty, see your provider for replacement

If out of warranty period, suppliers #27 and # 28 CPAP repairs, give them a call http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixing my REMstar Auto A-flex myself?
Not sure which specific series of REMstar you have as there are a few:

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

Some members have taken apart and serviced their own CPAP machines, so it is possible.

Here's a few links that may help:

Members-Only Files:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Only-FILES
(click on the link in that post, which will take you to the members-only files, and we do have some CPAP service technician (repair) manuals available for some machines.

Inner workings of a pre-2007 series REMstar:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...898#pid898

If you're getting an error code of some type:

Older pre-2007 REMstar Error Codes and their meanings:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rror_codes

Current PR System One REMstar error code list:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rror_codes

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2015, 02:40 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Not sure which specific series of REMstar you have as there are a few:

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]
A little bird told me, OP uses PR System One Auto, but did tell me which one, 550 or 560
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2015, 02:49 PM)zonk Wrote: A little bird told me, OP uses PR System One Auto, but did tell me which one, 550 or 560

Ah yes, I didn't see the "System One" in the humidifier section of the OP's profile. Good catch, Zonk!

sleeplessinottawa - you may wish to check out the Members-Only files link I gave in my previous post, as we do have the Service (Repair) Manual for the PR System One machines there.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleeplessinottawa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you on your repair, hopefully, you have a backup machine.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First, before even sharing an update, i have to say how blown away I am by the messages and information I received as a result of my post. You are all SO kind. One poster just wrote to say good luck, which I appreciate.

so here's my update. Remember how I said I could feel/hear the wheel of the motor trying to start inside the machine? I knew that about a week ago, i had moved and shaken the machine to get it going full speed.

when I posted here, that hadn't worked, so here's what I did.

i vacuumed the inside of my machine through the blow hole. I'm sure that wouldn't get all the dust from inside, but at least it got some (and i could hear the suction causing the wheel to go round in response)

then, i tried starting it again and it seemed to be trying harder....
finally, i tried again, slowly moving the box in different directions and noticed that if I applied pressure near the top back of the machine, the motor would move faster. So I pressed there harder and it kicked the machine into full operation.

I was able to use it last night -- Thank God for a decent night's sleep.
But i don't know how long this will serve me as i definitely should take a look at what is happening inside. Thanks to all the links you have provided to me, I will be able to do that and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again. You all rock!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2015, 01:35 PM)sleeplessinottawa Wrote: i vacuumed the inside of my machine through the blow hole. I'm sure that wouldn't get all the dust from inside, but at least it got some (and i could hear the suction causing the wheel to go round in response)
Check the air filters and replace if dirty or damaged, the machines uses two types of air filters
1- grey foam filter that is washable and reusable, and must be in place all the time
2- White finer air filter, disposable and goes in front of the foam filter, mesh side facing in
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 154 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 846 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 366 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Fixing Flow Limits esleepie 11 511 02-24-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 250 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  Fixing AirSense10 Air Noise BNB1023 6 2,265 11-01-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.