Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] For Her or Not For Her, that is the question
For Her or Not For Her, that is the question
I am in the process of getting a new machine. You may cheer now. I am pushing to get an Airsense Autoset but can't decide between the Her or the regular.

Criteria:
  • I want the most data possible.
  • I have been using an S9 Autoset for several years so am used to that rhythm.
  • I value SleepyHead data higher than what is on the machine's screen.
  • I don't care about machine color. I don't spend much time looking at the dang thing and it is dark whenever I am using it.
  • I would even consider a PR machine if it is what I need/want.

I'm about to get the manuals for both so I can compare (assuming they are different?).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: For Her or Not For Her, that is the question
If insurance is paying get the "For Her". If your paying it comes down to the extra algorithm and if you think you'll need it. If not get whatever is cheaper. The latest AirSense 10's have the same data now as the "For Her" machines do. The one I just got last month has the RERA data now.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know the For Her has an extra mode available on top of the other models.

Per ResMed:

"A gender-specific algorithm

The pioneering new algorithm used in the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her works by increasing sensitivity to flow limitation and optimizing the response to these events. By responding to each flow-limited breath, the algorithm helps provide comfortable therapy for women."

I guess it comes down to if you can get it without paying more out of pocket, then I'd get it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With your history (S9) I doubt that you will use the extra algorithm in the "For Her".   But it never hurts to have an extra trick in the bag.  Thus the "For Her" is the "better" machine.

Personally I wouldn't even blink at the cost differential.  See if you can get your Doctor to specify the "For Her" model and make it easy.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if you don't need or want the additional algorithm now, you may want it later.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've looked a lot at the ResMed S10 Autoset - I have 2 friends that have them, one male, one female, and interestingly, they both have the "for her" model. I was worried about this, for the male friend, because the RT seemed to be a bit shady - his receipt for the product had a different serial number than the actual unit, was listing it as a CPAP, not an Autoset (which it was) and "Yeah, you know, when he took it out of the box it had a different cover on it... it was flowery or something. He changed it for the grey one..."

Oh boy.

Sooo... I checked into it, the only real difference is the cover and the extra algorithm. It was properly set in the "not for her" mode. So, one trip back to demand a proper receipt, because, you know... if it ever has to go to warranty...

The female friend, on the other hand, had it set "For Her" and couldn't stand it. Setting it to the other mode seemed to make it work better for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting! So you can choose to have the "for Her" bit on or not?

And they all collect RERA data now?

Coooool. This please me (and the aliens watching me) muchly.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
All current Airsense 10 Autosets have Autoset Standard and Soft mode as well as CPAP mode. The For Her adds the For-Her mode. It reacts faster to the first flow limitation, then slower to subsequent FL events, and limits response to OA when pressure is above 12-cm. The For Her can operate identically with the standard Autoset, or be used in for-her mode.

I would strongly advise against being persuaded to accept a Philips Respironics machine. The feel and features of the Dreamstation are very different from what you are accustomed to, and regardless of attempts to call it equivalent, my anecdotal observation is it comes up very short in terms of treatment, particularly in individuals with irregular breathing, chronic flow limitation, UARS and similar issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I'd agree with Sleeprider on the brand choice. IMO the transition would be made easier by way of staying within the ResMed family of products, and the algorithms involved tend to be better suited to excellent apnea treatment. I have not been paid to say any of the above by ResMed or Sleeprider, nor have been bribed with coffee. I do know how well my AirCurve 10 does its job. Best success on the transition to the new machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I originally was given the for her model.  I tried it for a while but it did not respond fast enough for my flow limitations .  I now use the regular autoset mode and results are better.  You won't know if it helps you unless you try it.  
And yes I also don't care about the color since the room is dark.  
Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,424 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.