Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Full Face Mask
Full Face Mask
I haven't used my CPAP in several years, I have recently been diagnosed with Afib and need to use the device. In the past I settled with nasal pillows but would wake up in the middle of the night with a dry throat and take the mask off. (I used the humidifier). My Doctor said it was because I was opening my mouth. I remember trying a nasal mask by didn't work for me. I have a short beard. I would like to try a full face mask.
Does anyone have an opinion or recommendation?

Your help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask
Hi Passalp, welcome to Apnea Board.

There's no right answer here - every face is different and what is fine for one person will be dreadful for the next. In very general terms, it seems most people do better with nasal pillows, though mouth breathing can be a problem. This can often be overcome by using a chin strap which helps to keep the mouth closed.

Personally I prefer a full face mask. I use a Resmed Quattro Air with a Padacheeks liner. I have a goatee and the facial hair doesn't cause any problems.

The only way to know for sure which mask will suit you is to try them, so try to get a deal where you can return them if unsuitable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2015, 08:12 AM)passalp Wrote: I haven't used my CPAP in several years, I have recently been diagnosed with Afib and need to use the device. In the past I settled with nasal pillows but would wake up in the middle of the night with a dry throat and take the mask off. (I used the humidifier). My Doctor said it was because I was opening my mouth. I remember trying a nasal mask by didn't work for me. I have a short beard. I would like to try a full face mask.
Does anyone have an opinion or recommendation?

Your help would be appreciated.

Hi passalp,
Welcome to the board. It's the best place I've ever found for help and support.

I am a full-face mask user (First a ResMed Mirage Quattro, now a F&P Simplus). I also have facial hair, and as long as I keep it trimmed fairly short, leaks are not significant. I also use Remzzz, which help with minor leakage especially around my eyes. Remzzzs are a little costly if you do the "use once" method, but I have successfully washed and reused them, so the cost is minimal.

Some recommendations:

1) Identify what brand and model your CPAP unit is, and update your Apnea board profile. People can give much more informed advice if that info is available.

2) If your machine is discovered to be a data-capable device, get software and start monitoring your therapy. You are flying blind without data, and if you already have Afib, this is not the time to be without data. If your machine is not data-capable, consider replacing it with one that is.

3) If you don't have a hard copy of your CPAP prescription, get one, make copies and store it somewhere safe. This can be useful in several ways. When I decided that the Mirage Quattro mask wasn't doing the job for me, I checked with my DME to see what their policy was regarding mask trials. If I ordered a different mask, I could return it for replacement within 30 days - ONCE. That meant that if I tried a new mask from them, I had 2 chances to get it right. For masks, some folk go thru many to find the one that works for them. I ended up going to an online supplier (Supplier #26 from the list at the top of every page), where their policy is to allow return within 30 days, as often as you wish. But I had to email a copy of my CPAP prescription before I could purchase a mask from them. This is where having your prescription is REALLY important.

Good luck on your CPAP journey.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi passalp,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
When you start trying full-face masks, (FFM,) make sure you get the return for any reason insurance on which ever one you try.
Take a look at the supplier list at the top of each page here on the board. I know suppliers #1 and #18 have that return for any reason policy, but others on the list probably have that same thing.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a medium to short beard and I originally started with a PR Amara View FFM. The mask was reasonably comfortable and worked pretty well, but the best I could get out of this mask was a 95% rate. I changed out to the nasal pillows and have not looked back.
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,612 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.