Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Getting a different machine from my DME?
Getting a different machine from my DME?
I know that at my initial review with the sleep doctor, he wasn't overly happy with the machine my DME gave me. He referred to it as [expletive expletive expletive] crap, and said there were much better machines to put me on.

Am I stuck with the machine my DME gave me?
Can I request they switch me to different machine? Does my sleep doctor need to request they put me on a different machine?
Can I just go out and buy a different machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting a different machine from my DME?
You should get a script from your Dr. and he/she needs to call out the exact name of the machine.

(Example). Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. The DME will order one for you if they don’t have one in stock.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have the doctor write a script, specifying the Resmed Autoset, with the phrase, "Dispense as written".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are not stuck with the machine the DME gave you. A little pressure on the DME from your doctor will probably help, as others have suggested.

When my wife was first given a machine, it was an AirSense 10 CPAP, which doesn't record detailed data. Several months later, when we realized that wasn't a good choice. We were still within the 13-month rental period that Medicare requires; we just asked the DME to give us an AutoSet instead and they did without complaining.  (That was several years ago before there were shortages.)
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME is not your friend -- "Profit" is their friend. You should be able to get a different machine, but you may also have to get a different DME. Some DME's have exclusive contracts with a manufacturer and they won't sell other brands. YOU'RE the patient, get what is right for you. I let the DME push me around -- it was good for them, but not me. I just went with the flow. It took 2.5 years of bad sleep , and then this site, to finally get me heading the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally got new script for AirSense10 due to malfuncting and recalled DreamStation. Talked to DME today and they have AirSense10 without wireless capability, due to "chip shortage" and are offering AirSense11. Pulmonologist has also prescribed O2 therapy, which we wonder if I would need if I have a properly functioning CPAP. 
Question now is do I take the AirSense10 and have to take the SD card into doctor or AirSense11 and still have to figure out how to handle CPAP hose and O2 hose. AirSense10 has O2 nipple at the base of the hose and AirSense11 needs the plastic connector at the headgear to use the oxygen.
Suggestions, I told DME I was coming here to research and would let them know tomorrow of my decision.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s a question for others that will respond soon. But make sure what ever you get it’s the Autoset. There’s 4 different models and the autoset has the auto adjusting pressure.

Better yet go to the Resmed site and read about the different models.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you may be needing oxygen I would stick with the AS10 Autoset because you can get the oxygen injector hose. Most of the time you will be using OSCAR to look at your data and only going to the doctor once in a while.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with Phil above.

The AirSense 10 line is fully established so O2 parts are readily available. I'm sure we could get the A11 to work but the A10 AutoSet is an awesome machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Thank you both for confirming my decision.

Yes, there is a way to get the AS11 to accept the oxygen tube but it is the same way that I am currently using on the Dreamstation (which is the plastic tube with the nipple on it) it just attaches to the headgear so I have 6 feet of O2 tubing to corral with the CPAP hose. I had told her yesterday I thought my preference would be the AS10 so will call and place the order this morning before I have to leave again.

Then I will probably be back to make sure I get it set up properly. Shouldn't be too hard since hubby has an AS10 currently. I don't get on here very often but if I have a question about CPAP I always come to the forum and really appreciate everything you do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,320 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,864 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,342 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,789 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,283 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.