Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Getting a full face mask that works
Getting a full face mask that works
I am new to CPAP and getting very frustrated with finding a mask that works. I have the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machine with pressure set from 5-15. I tried nasal pillows initially but could not get used to them. I have now tried a few full face masks and prefer them, currently the Fisher Paykel Simplus. When I ran the Mask Fit test last night, I couldn't get it to stay green. I wasted almost an hour adjusting and readjusting the mask, and in the end just gave up and went to sleep. When I woke, the leak had been over 30. Whatever mask I have tried, I am having to adjust almost every night and getting high leaks often.

I am using a wide chin strap to try and minimize mouth breathing and have a short beard.

I seem to have reached the limit of the knowledge of the company that I am dealing with.

Any help appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting a full face mask that works
I use the Resmed F20 Air Touch and it works for me. You may have already tried it though. Might help if you listed the masks you've already tried.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You might try Supplier #31 they sell pads/liners for various masks to help seal them better.

Question, why a chin strap with a full face? Seems it would not be necessary unless your mouth opens a lot and breaks the seal?

It is tempting to think that making the mask tighter will stop the leaks but that actually makes it worse in most cases. The full face masks typically have a cushion that inflates (kind of) when you have air pressure and that helps to seal the mask on the face. Tightening up the mask will defeat that design.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I had previously tried the Airfit F20. My supplier does not have the Airtouch.
Post Reply Post Reply
This may help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
stillaliveca,

Have you had leaks with your mask using your treatment pressure range? I use a nasal mask and have it relatively loose. It does not leak with my treatment pressures (5.8-15), but will leak with the mask fit test. So, I don't use the mask fit test, but never have major leaks.

I you are having leaks with the mask at your treatment pressures, then probably need to try a different mask.

Do you have SleepyHead? You can download data and see if you have significant leaks that way.

I see that you write that you have high leaks often. When I first started, I had some pretty high leaks, but it was because I would swat the mask off of my face. Once I got used to the mask, I don't unconsciously dislodge it any longer. So, I guess you need to make sure the leaks are happening due a poor seal, and not to you trying to remove the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee Man is correct....on ResMed machines, the fit test is done at 20cm H20 (pretty much the max unless you are on a bipap or asv machine), but most people don't need that much pressure. It could be the mask fits well, but doesn't handle the extreme pressure from the fit test.

It can also help to wipe down the mask and your face to help the seal "stick" and a short beard will impact the quality of the seal. Liners are an option, but also getting a little thicker beard can help too...sometimes you can hit the reverse-goldilock spot and have just the right amount of facial hair to prop the mask up and not get a good seal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2018, 12:09 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Coffee Man is correct....on ResMed machines, the fit test is done at 20cm H20 (pretty much the max unless you are on a bipap or asv machine), but most people don't need that much pressure. It could be the mask fits well, but doesn't handle the extreme pressure from the fit test.

It can also help to wipe down the mask and your face to help the seal "stick" and a short beard will impact the quality of the seal. Liners are an option, but also getting a little thicker beard can help too...sometimes you can hit the reverse-goldilock spot and have just the right amount of facial hair to prop the mask up and not get a good seal.

Just a small correction. The mask Fit test will test at the maximum pressure set on the machine. So if you have your maximum pressure set at 15cm that's the pressure it will test at.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Resmed AirFit F10 and find that works well for me.

I used the AirFit F20 for a while when it came out, but went back to the F10.

Leaks are more likely if you have a beard.

I used to have a beard, but shaved mine off. I also run an electric shaver over the beard contact area on my face each night (even though I have a wet shave every morning) in order to minimise leaks.

Faced with a choice between having a beard or having fewer leaks, I'd opt for the latter every time.

Another advantage of shaving your beard off is that you will look younger.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2018, 03:51 PM)Kadenz Wrote: Another advantage of shaving your beard off is that you will look younger.

Each to their own i suppose.
I prefer the "wise old greymuzzle" look myself
but yes, beards and leaks go hand in hand, 3 days stubble and i can't get a seal, leave it a week or so and the leaks reduce, get out to 10 days and they come back. Of course "your results may vary"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 203 Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 316 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 345 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 184 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 158 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 367 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 701 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.