Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Getting my head round the Remstar 60 ?
RE: Getting my head round the Remstar 60 ?
ok. I'm going to go CPap on it at 9.0. That apap mode - doesn't feel right at all.

Ok - just noticed that I haven't filled the humidifier in at least one night. WTH !?!

gonna go test it now - humidifier and settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
socketus,

You're changing too many variables at the same time.

My advice:

First: Set the System One settings as close to the old machine as possible and if the Goodnight CPAP had no exhalation relief, then turn C-flex OFF.

Second: If you are using a heated hose with the System One, turn it OFF. The Goodnight did not have a heated hose, and that may be part of your problems.

Third: Did your Goodnight have a humidifier? If not, then either don't use the System One humidifier at all or put water in it, but leave it turned off. Again, the idea is to mimic the Goodnight as much as you can.

Fourth: Your leaks may or may not be acceptable. A lot depends on what the intentional leak rate for your mask is and just how much time your leaks are up in the 65+ L/min range. The Series 60 System One machines typically start flagging Large Leaks somewhere between 70 and 80 L/min. During an official Large Leak, the machine may not be able to compensate for the large amount of air being lost through the system and that may compromise the quality of your therapy and the accuracy of the data.

Fifth: For now you need to focus on getting use to sleeping with the new machine. If the AHI remains above 5.0 after you are sleeping ok with the machine, then you really need to pay your sleep doc a visit.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 05:51 PM)robysue Wrote: socketus,

You're changing too many variables at the same time.

My advice:

First: Set the System One settings as close to the old machine as possible and if the Goodnight CPAP had no exhalation relief, then turn C-flex OFF.

Second: If you are using a heated hose with the System One, turn it OFF. The Goodnight did not have a heated hose, and that may be part of your problems.

Third: Did your Goodnight have a humidifier? If not, then either don't use the System One humidifier at all or put water in it, but leave it turned off. Again, the idea is to mimic the Goodnight as much as you can.

Fourth: Your leaks may or may not be acceptable. A lot depends on what the intentional leak rate for your mask is and just how much time your leaks are up in the 65+ L/min range. The Series 60 System One machines typically start flagging Large Leaks somewhere between 70 and 80 L/min. During an official Large Leak, the machine may not be able to compensate for the large amount of air being lost through the system and that may compromise the quality of your therapy and the accuracy of the data.

Fifth: For now you need to focus on getting use to sleeping with the new machine. If the AHI remains above 5.0 after you are sleeping ok with the machine, then you really need to pay your sleep doc a visit.

That's exactly what I've done - reset it to Cpap standard, apart from the Cflex 1. And the Goodknight had a humidifier that I used everyday.
What I'm saying is that this new Model 60's humidifier has quit working - no water useage at all in the last 3 nights. It worked fine the first 2 nights - Sat & Sun - out of the hospital, and worked fine in the hospital.

The Goodknight did not have a heated hose.
The Model 60's heated hose was turned off first day because of its "wet kiss" feel.

Apparently, I've run up against a full SD card. No results from an 8 hour night on Cpap 6.0 w/ 5 min ramp with a 9.0 max - no heated hose ON, and trying the FFM Mirage Quattro, and a non-working humidifier.

What I do know - the Quattro outperforms the Flexfit hc431 by light years. I just don't have the data.

I have since copied the SD's P-Series folder to desktop. And should now be able to gather new data - unless the SD card needs some prep ....

Reason I switched to the Quattro mask, is that it is obviously superior in fitting to the face - cheeky n jowly I am - and that I was hearing and experiencing a wagonload of audible and felt mask leaks with the Flexfix 431.

PS. - Thursday/Friday night coming with Model 60 set to min of 6.0 with 5minute ramp with 9.0 max - no heated hose, no working humidifier. Guess I should turn it off its not responding. I hope that SD card records ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Socketus, welcome to the forum.
Okay, first off congrats on the new machine. I think that is the newer model of the one I have. I do not have the heated hose but I think they are similar in other respects. While I do agree that you should set it up to mimic your old machine to get you used to the new one, I think that down the road you should set it into Auto mode. Here's the thing; since you have not had a sleep study in quite awhile, and you say your weight has changed (but even if it were the same a lot can change in 5 years!) it would probably benefit you to use the auto mode for at least a month to see where you should be. The Auto mode will sense what pressure you should have and it will adjust it throughout the night as your needs change. This is very similar to what a sleep doc will do during titration. I keep mine on auto all the time and I never have to worry about it (I haven't had a sleep study since the 90s! LOL!). The reason you want to leave the settings alone is that it takes 3-4 weeks worth of data to be able to figure out what you need to be setting the pressure at and such. Personally I love the AFlex, but everyone is different, just because it is on your machine does not mean you have to use it! But the real key to making changes is time. Small changes over a long period of time.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Okkkkay ! ... so far I hate Apap mode, because it feels like i'm strangling.

I've got one night at Cpap w/ Cflex1, humidifier at 1, no heated hose, the FFM Quattro .... I'm pretty sure that I set a minimum pressure of 6.0 ...

K)#E*#) >>> cant post images !

ok,

AHI = 27.35
Total leaks - 25 - 28 - 33 - 35

hyopnea - 0.87
Obstructive - 24.89

I have no idea of the relevance of those last 2 numbers, but I'm still assuming that the 3rd leak # - 33 - which is the 95% # under total leaks, is the Large Leak #.

I slept fine, undisturbed - from what I can recall, other than a middle of the night trip. No mask leakage, only 1 instance of moisture in the eyes.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 12:41 PM)socketus Wrote: And the Goodknight had a humidifier that I used everyday.
What I'm saying is that this new Model 60's humidifier has quit working - no water useage at all in the last 3 nights. It worked fine the first 2 nights - Sat & Sun - out of the hospital, and worked fine in the hospital.
The amount of water the Model 60's humidifier will use varies quite a bit from night to night based on the ambient relative humidity. What have you set the humidifier to? What humidity setting did you use on the Goodknight?

Quote:The Goodknight did not have a heated hose.
The Model 60's heated hose was turned off first day because of its "wet kiss" feel.
You may need to check that the humidifier setting is ON and the heated hose setting is OFF in the clinical menu.

Quote:Apparently, I've run up against a full SD card. No results from an 8 hour night on Cpap 6.0 w/ 5 min ramp with a 9.0 max - no heated hose ON, and trying the FFM Mirage Quattro, and a non-working humidifier.
This is just plain weird. I've used a PR System One Series 50 for over 3 years and the SD card is no where near full.

Are you sure the SD card was fully inserted into the machine? If not, insert it fully, and the System One will write the data to the card, except for the detailed flow data.

Or perhaps the card is bad?

Quote:What I do know - the Quattro outperforms the Flexfit hc431 by light years. I just don't have the data.

I have since copied the SD's P-Series folder to desktop. And should now be able to gather new data - unless the SD card needs some prep ....
The card should not need any special prep. If you continue to get no data from the machine, it's time to have it and the card checked out by the DME.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK - the air has been very incompatible lately here in the plains. 50 to 60s day with low 30s at night, dry. Esp in the house.

Humidifier set to 1, heated hose off.

Cpap only - min is 6, and max is 9. Ramp is 5 min.

The humidifier at 1 - the hot plate does get hot, so it works.
The card - have to stick it into the cardreader on the pc till it pops up onscreen.

9 hours in bed last night, with 1 stop at 5 hours in for b.room break.

AHI - 12.61
Hypop - 1.48
Obstru - 11.02
Leaks - 0 - 0 - 6 - 8 - 0
Total leaks - 30 - 32 - 38 - 40

[Image: 031414_sleepyhead.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 11 345 04-16-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 477 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 273 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 484 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 726 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  BiPAP Help - Round 2 mattw2019 3 777 07-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.