Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Getting my head round the Remstar 60 ?
Getting my head round the Remstar 60 ?
Hi all

I've been a goodknight cpap user for over 7 years. And I've just bought the Remstar 60 machine with humidifier and heated hose, which I'm currently using a flexfix hc431 mask and its hose because of familiarity.

I've set up the 60 model as Cpap with a 5min ramp of 5.0 with a max of 9.0 and I believe its set to Cflex 1.

Originally my goodknight was set for 8.0, but I haven't had a sleep study for 5 years. In that time, I've gained 40-50 lbs.

Recently, I was diagnosed as having Atrial Fib - and its not convertable, so I'm now on Pradaxa - blood thinner - and some metoprolol, along with Losartan and HCTZ. Doing well, and I no longer drink alcohol.

OK. So I got one night in with the model 60 before hospitalization. And I had 4 to 5 hours uninterrupted sleep. Since being released from the hospital, I am getting the same amount of hours - 4 to 5 - before waking up with dry mouth. I am able to get back to sleep, fitfully, but its a lot better than it was before the hospitalization, what with the alcohol getting in the way.

So - I use chapstick and biotene gel. I have tried running Cpap C-flex 1.
And I have the humidifier level set to 1. The humidifier hose from night one was too much wet heat.

I've also tried running Apap - but have no clue what I'm doing. The default range shows as 4.0 to 20.0. So I went back to straight cpap pressures as noted above.

I have just bought a FFM Mirage Quattro, but again, am overwhelmed by its feature set, especially connected to the model 60.

I did install Encore Basic 2.2.2.0 on my win 7 64 bit pc, but have not a clue as to what I'm looking at when I look at the card data. I have read thru some of this forum, and I see the min and max numbers, along with the AHI and 90% numbers.

I'm not sure what to do with all this gear, how to setup the model 60 beyond simple cpap, and how to read the data.

I'm a 58 year old male, weighing 375lbs, I stand 6'3" and prefer to sleep on my right side, though I can flip to the left, but sleeping on the back is a no go after awhile. And even though I use a FFM, I am still a mouth breather - how much, I dunno.

I do use Ambien 10mg at night. With my newfound sobriety, I have more energy and am no longer keeping vampire hours. Great stuff, but I'd like to take this show down the road, if you know what I mean.

Any advice, help is much appreciated ... this site looks to be a new home for me online ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting my head round the Remstar 60 ?
Hi socketus,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and someone who knows the ins & outs of that machine will be along to help you, soon.
Glad you found this board, it's a neat place to hang out.
Best of luck to you with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Socketus. You may want to get SleepyHead. It's easier to use than EncoreBasic.

You should be able to look at the on-screen menus of your machine and see your AHI and percent time in large leak. Let is know what they are.

If I understand you correctly, you have the machine set in CPAP mode with a fixed pressure of 9.

If you figure out how, you might want to set it in APAP mode, with a pressure range of something like 7 to 10, and see what happens.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2014, 07:19 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Hi Socketus. You may want to get SleepyHead. It's easier to use than EncoreBasic.

You should be able to look at the on-screen menus of your machine and see your AHI and percent time in large leak. Let is know what they are.

If I understand you correctly, you have the machine set in CPAP mode with a fixed pressure of 9.

If you figure out how, you might want to set it in APAP mode, with a pressure range of something like 7 to 10, and see what happens.

Cool ! thanks, I 'll do all that. Just needed a push. Way too many similar topics. Point of the forum is to post and reply, so here I is Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI for last night in Apap mode is 21.31

average total leaks is 31.71

95% total leaks is 46

average pressure last night was 8.06

95% pressure last night was 8.50

Last night I set it for Apap with min around 5.0 and max at 8 or 8.5, maybe 9. At some point, I switched it back to straight Cpap at 5 and 9. I couldn't tell if I was getting any air at all in Apap mode unless I took the mask off and then could hear the rushing air.

Post Reply Post Reply
Set it on a range of 6 to 10, or something like that, and leave it there for the entire night. Then let us know what those numbers are so we can see if your pressure is too low and that's why your AHI is so high.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was new to all this three months ago so I'm no expert. But my insurance would not pay for an in-house sleep study with titration. So I was prescribed an APAP (same model as yours) with it set wide open to 5 - 20 so the machine could gather data - as you know it adjusts the pressure as it monitors your breathing to detects issues. After 2 months they analyzed the data and set it to 10-15. I would think you would want to do something similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool guys, thanks - now i have direction. Figured it would be something kinda like that. Will do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't last the whole night. Apap leaves me squirming, don't feel like I'm deep asleep. I keep worrying about whether the pressure is actually running, let alone filling my lungs. I turned it off and switched it back to cpap about 6 hours in.
Apap 6-10 cmH20

I dunno if this works, but the first part of the night is setup to APAP, and here's those numbers.
AHI = 6.88
Avg Pres - 7.32
95% pres - 10.0
Avg total leaks - 36.49
95% total leaks - 66.0
total max leaks - 82.0

which is the Large Leaks figure ?

oh .. wait a minute. On daily, under details, on event breakdown, I see this:

Leaks - min - 0 - med - 0 - 95% - 19.0 - max - 33.0
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is too high. We can't do any further interpretation of the data until we get the leak rate under control.

What's the CPAP pressure? Leave it there for an entire night and let's see what happens.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 253 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  BiPAP Help - Round 2 mattw2019 3 758 07-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Remstar pro m series two beeps how can I reset? cantgettosleep 2 1,052 05-21-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: cantgettosleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.