Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Good DME vendor [suggestions?]
Good DME vendor [suggestions?]
I searched the forum and wasn't able to find any discussions of good DME (renewable hoses, filters etc. for AirSense 10) vendors. 

My CPAP doctor sent me to Norco, which I've been using. They're not a very good vendor, IMO.

I'm looking for a vendor that has a good web store, bills Medicare and tracks my purchases and dates, showing me when I'm eligible under Medicare to order more hoses, etc.  I don't care if they aren't the least expensive vendor.

Are there known vendors in the US who do that?

Thanks (and my apologies if I've missed a thread that discusses this.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good DME vendor
They are very few and far between.

Good luck.

Here's what I did:
- I looked on Yelp. I looked up "durable medical" and "dme" and "sleep supplies" and "cpap". I called those places and asked if they sell CPAPs and CPAP masks/supplies. One insisted they did, so I went in... and they sell CPR masks. Ugh. What I learned is that a LOT of DMEs just sell wheelchairs, power-life chairs, and walkers.

- The best-rated DMEs (within a 1.5 hour drive from home) on Yelp have only a 3 star rating (pretty lousy). But I started there (after confirming they sell CPAP stuff). I read the reviews and decided if I should bother checking them out. I called a couple.

- One got the best reviews (which isn't super because like I said, the reviews were pretty much all bad everywhere), but was the worst to me on the phone... so I decided against them. Because if they're bad to me on the phone when I'm TRYING to be their customer, how are they going to be once I am their customer?

- One of the least worst-rated ones had some reviews that I felt I could cope with. Specifically, one said that our local office had horrid customer service, but if you drive to their parent location an hour away, they have decent customer service. So I went to our local one and found wow indeed that is most definitely right. (And I grieved for the old people sitting in the waiting room being treated so horridly.) So I went to their parent location, and was very happy with them. They are FAR FAR FAR FAR from my dream DME. But they are responsive, they are consistent with supplies, and I don't have problems with them.

Overall, my best advice is to remember that YOU are the CUSTOMER, and it's YOU who are CHOOSING *IF* you WANT to USE THEM. You're not the helpless victim receiving supplies. You are a consumer and customer. You're in the driver's seat. If they're not good, go elsewhere.

P.S. I Would use an online DME if my insurance allowed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an on-line DME supplier and have been very happy with them so far. It will be two years for me next month, and they have been my supplier since I started CPAP therapy. 

Not sure if I can post their name on here though. If someone say's it's okay, I will.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok to post name, but not a link... or don't include the .com   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had to switch DME's recently because the one I was using sold their respiratory care services to a company called Rotech.  I don't know anything about them but couldn't use them as they were not a provider listed with my insurance.

I called my insurance, got a list of contracted DME's From them, then started to make phone calls.
I only had 3 to choose from.  One never called me back, the second one was quite snippy with me over the phone, so ended up with Lincare.  So far, they have been pleasant and easy to deal with.  

I also use Supplier #2 and Supplier #26
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME supplier is ROTECH Healthcare Inc. I believe they are based in Florida, but they send supplies from Kentucky. 

They have an online chat room that has been very handy for me. If I have a question or two, or a concern, they are available within a minute or two. 

I'm no expert when it comes to DME's by any means, but from my own experience, I can and do recommend them.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW when I was on Medicaid based insurance, I was told I could use the 3 national DMEs listed. I could possibly use some regional ones if listed as in-network and were billed through an office in the state of PA. The 3 national ones are Apria, Lincare, and Rotech. I had been given the CPAP, a Remstar in 2014 and in early 2017 a DreamStation BiPAP; both through Rotech. Rotech has a network of what I'll call local/regional franchises that have the Rotech national name but run under a different local name. Example is the Rotech location that I dealt with is locally known as CPO2. IMO these are the least desired of these 3 national DMEs. I've dealt with all 3 for various equipment needs. To rate these from least to OK is Rotech then Apria and then Lincare, based on my experiences. I'm now Medicare as the primary and a Medicaid based PA state issued as secondary.

Now on to a possible answer for the OP. I would search entities like Yelp as suggested by Hydrangea. I would add in other search entities so as not to limit self to just the one. Call Medicare and other insurances you might have to find out in-network DMEs going from closest and moving outwards. Get contact numbers and addresses. Go through the list by calling and/or visiting them and their websites. Check up on reviews and consider with a grain of salt whether to take all the negatives that's said. I personally combined reviews from others and by my own calls and office visits to determine yes or no on if I wanted to deal with them. Continue this process until you find one that meets your criteria of being OK to deal with. I'm just being upfront and honest; I doubt any will get a highly positive and glowing report when you look into these DMEs, but choose the one that you think you can work with then get started with that one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rose gave the answer. If you missed it, you must start with the list of in-network providers from your insurance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good DME vendor [suggestions?]
Thanks for the question.   

I had terrible results when I tried to get equipment using Apria.  50 minute wait times, inconsistent information, promises unkept.  It was terrible.  After 3 months of this nonsense, I cancelled my order and ordered through Pacific Pulmonary Services (Adapthealth).   Bam, within 7 days of my order they had confirmed insurance and shipped.  Now I receive periodic inquiries from them asking if I need to reorder any of my supplies.  Pacific Pulmonary has been a great source for me.

So for me,::  Apria No,  Pacific Pulmonary Si.  

Note since it is an Adapthealth company, it may be a regional name and under a different name in your area.  So try “Adapthealth” in your search if you are inclined to try them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 147 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,927 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 251 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.