Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Good travel CPAP?
RE: Good travel CPAP?
I use the Transcend Auto with the large battery when traveling or on the plane.
I find it works just fine, and I don't have to worry if there is a problem with power sockets near the bed in hotels.
I just put the battery on charge during the day and run off it at night if necessary.
Hope this helps.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tired, and decided against the ultra-small solution. What I did find, was a supplier (Supplier #2) that had laid in a stock of factory new S-8 AutoSet II machines that they are offering for a fantastic bargain price. Now, this is an older model and data capability requires specific proprietary hardware if data is important to you.

These machines are still on the smaller side (6.5" x 6" x 4.5", roughly the same footprint as the S-9 flow generator, but probably twice the size of the micro-units), but the big bonus, in addition to the bargain price, is that they do not require a whomping big power brick that you would otherwise have to carry.

For me that equals out to the flow generator, a hose, and mask in a camera bag for the complete kit.

My first machine was an S-8 so also figuring into my consideration is that these machines are tanks : rugged and reliable.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a brand new AirSense 10 but picked up an S8 (Cheep) to replace my old dead one!!

The S8 is great to travel with, small footprint and works fine on european voltage (only requires a plug adapter doesn't require voltage converter) The S8 also operates on 12VDC with the proper ResMed adapter which I use on my boat and camping.

The new AisSense 10 stays safe and sound on my bedside table and the S8 travels with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 08:13 AM)bill-e Wrote: Absolutely, the CPAP does not count as an extra bag

Do the airlines actually comply with this, these days? The last time I tried to fly with a CPAP as a carry on (a few years ago), they claimed it only got discounted if I needed to use it during the flight. Otherwise, no dice, and I had to check one of my carry on bags.

So, the last time I flew, I wedge the CPAP into my checked luggage, not trusting the people at the gate to let me in with it.

Do you regular fliers find that the airlines understand CPAPs more now, and will really let me have my carry on, my large purse, AND my CPAP bag?
Post Reply Post Reply
I fly almost every week and I've never seen anyone turned down who carries a CPAP. Doesn't mean that the odd gate agent wont make a fuss but I've never witnessed it.

I never check bags and I just hate the third bag which is why I originally went with the Z1. I think checking a bag with your CPAP is a crap shoot unless it's a gate check. The only time I check a bag is when I go overseas and then the bag is delayed at least 40% of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 08:33 PM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: I always travel with the transcend unit. ... it always gets checked so i can walk on with my laptop bag only. much easier IMO that way

Yikes! How much do you travel? In a past life when I was traveling 30% of the time, my checked bag usually failed to make it to my destination with me probably once a year on average. Once it was for several days in South American jungles.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I travel 1-2 times per month by air, and have never been told my APAP machine counts as a carry-on. I travel with my home unit PRS1), guard it as if my life depended on it, and so far, travel success with the machine and mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 05:15 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:
(02-28-2015, 08:13 AM)bill-e Wrote: Absolutely, the CPAP does not count as an extra bag

Do the airlines actually comply with this, these days? The last time I tried to fly with a CPAP as a carry on (a few years ago), they claimed it only got discounted if I needed to use it during the flight. Otherwise, no dice, and I had to check one of my carry on bags.

So, the last time I flew, I wedge the CPAP into my checked luggage, not trusting the people at the gate to let me in with it.

Do you regular fliers find that the airlines understand CPAPs more now, and will really let me have my carry on, my large purse, AND my CPAP bag?

They absolutely do. And they always have, at least for the last 25 some odd years. You had a gate monkey, er, agent that that was pulling stuff out of their butt as they went along. "Are you telling me that this airline does not make reasonable accommodation for disabled flyers as is required by federal regulation/law? Get me a supervisor over here NOW."

Now, sometimes, especially on smaller commuter planes, there may not be enough space to carry all the carry-ons in the cabin and they have you "gate check" a bag, but that doesn't sound like what you encountered.

I would never check my CPAP and other meds unless I was willing to do without them at the other end and for the duration of the trip. Spent a miserable week in Vegas once when I forgot my machine in the rush to the airport. On that trip, I ended up calling my doctor back home to call in new scripts to Walgreen or CVS as the meds were in the same bag.

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 180 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.