Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask leaking middle of night
Mask leaking middle of night
Hey all! I've been on a full face mask for about a week and it was perfection the first few nights. I had pillows at first and changed because my mouth falls open. I've only been on my machine for maybe 10 days and I love it.

However the last few nights my mask leaks in the middle of the night and it wakes me up. I can't figure out why it leaks then and not the first few hours. I'm wondering if it's related to humidity? I keep it around 3-4. I wake up and adjust it but it just leaks again a bit later.

I would love to sleep solid through the night again. Thoughts??? Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leaking middle of night
RNPembe, a couple of tips for newbies especially with FFM's that help me are, have your hose coming from above your head either over a bed head or you can buy some products over the net or make one yourself if you are handy. This does two things, it saves you getting tangled and the mask gets pulled up instead of down. The second thing is use mask liners, you can buy them over the net or you can make your own fairly cheaply, I can give you the instructions if you want. Some insurance companies also cover them, you may want to check them out if you have insurance. Try not to tighten your straps too much, straps that are too tight can be as bad as straps that are too loose. Good luck and let us know how you go.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK awesome. My machine is on a shelf sort of above me so that should be okay I think. I'm curious about the liners so I'd be open to learning more. Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RNPembe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It probably starts leaking due to you moving around in your sleep. Pushes against the frame or the hose on the pillow, your face relaxes more which causes leaks around the mouth, etc. There's a lot of reasons and it is just a matter of narrowing it down.

When it wakes you up, take note of what position you are in and where it is leaking. Let us know and we'll try to find a solution.

Oh, and that machine needs to be lowered. It needs to be at bed level or lower. This helps keep condensation going back to the machine, not into your nose, and it also keeps it from falling onto your head or a great height.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
To add to the discussion, do you find your face getting oily at night? That was big problem for me before I switched to pillow masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 08:28 PM)RNPembe Wrote: OK awesome. My machine is on a shelf sort of above me so that should be okay I think. I'm curious about the liners so I'd be open to learning more. Thanks so much.

I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton / 50% lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.
You can also buy different coloured material to go with your decor Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 240 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 319 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.