Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Good travel CPAP?
Good travel CPAP?
Has anyone had experience with a small light weight machine suitable for travel?
I have seen ads for HDM Z1 trave CPAP, any comments on it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good travel CPAP?
There's the Transcend, an extra small CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...scend-CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-EZEX-CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-with-EZEX
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...pap-review

The HDM Z1
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ppointment
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Z1 and Z1 Auto most of the time. Feel free to ask me any sppecific questions about either machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I travelled with my Resmed last year and it was fine really. I used the bag it came in which helped me organize the pieces after taking it apart. I did this several times in the span of a month. So depending on how much you are travelling, you might consider just going with your existing machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that there are lots of variables which will help you to decide whether you want a travel CPAP or not. Airline or car travel? Checked baggage or carry on. Camping/Hiking/Motorcycling or Hotel.

I would agree that if I checked my luggage so that my CPAP bag was one of only two carry ons then I might have stayed with my full size unit. But if you don't check bags then the CPAP bag as a third carry on is a real PITA.

Car Travel to a Hotel, sure, full size CPAP but if you're riding a bike or hiking and camping then the lesser size, weight and power requirement of a travel CPAP may be what is necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 08:56 PM)bill-e Wrote: I would agree that if I checked my luggage so that my CPAP bag was one of only two carry ons then I might have stayed with my full size unit. But if you don't check bags then the CPAP bag as a third carry on is a real PITA.

Ah, I only brought two bags. If it weren't for the CPAP machine I would just travel with an oversized backpack. To each their own. Grin

edit: Also, as medical equipment, the CPAP should not count towards your limit. So you *ought* to be able ot take three bags on there assuming the other two meet whatever regulations they have.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 11:28 PM)eviltim Wrote:
(02-26-2015, 08:56 PM)bill-e Wrote: I would agree that if I checked my luggage so that my CPAP bag was one of only two carry ons then I might have stayed with my full size unit. But if you don't check bags then the CPAP bag as a third carry on is a real PITA.

Ah, I only brought two bags. If it weren't for the CPAP machine I would just travel with an oversized backpack. To each their own. Grin

edit: Also, as medical equipment, the CPAP should not count towards your limit. So you *ought* to be able ot take three bags on there assuming the other two meet whatever regulations they have.

Also, I use distilled water in the humidifier at home but bottled water is fine on the road. The Z1 and Transcend use HME waterless humidification.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've traveled for work for 10 years, the last five with my Resmed S9/H5i Humidifier. CPAP are exempt from TSA and FAA carry-on allocations. If you have an extra 500-750$ burning a hole in your pocket, buy a Z1 or a Transcend. If you really wanted to just pack the CPAP engine, power cord, mask, and hose in your carry-on you could save having another piece to carry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely, the CPAP does not count as an extra bag but I personally find that lugging around three bags, two of which are heavy, isn't worth it. It certainly can be done but when you're spending many hours in airports every week you have to decide whether or not your comfort and convenience is worth a few bucks. Blue Cross must have agreed with me because tey paid for it Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I always travel with the transcend unit. its too easy to have a complete separate setup always in my travel bag. it always gets checked so i can walk on with my laptop bag only. much easier IMO that way

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 198 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.