Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment]  Goodnight 318 CPAP Machine
Question 
Goodnight 318 CPAP Machine
I have an old Goodnight 318. It has been in storage for several years.

It was in a hotel fire but was not burned.
It "breathed" smoke and has a smoky smell in the airflow.

I have two questions:
1). Does anyone know how to increase/decrease air flow?

---and---

2). Does anyone know how to eliminate the smoke odor?

Thanks a lot for any help you might offer Thanks

Oh, BTW, My beautiful wife of 4 decades wants me to throw it in the trash. (Guess what will happen to it...)

Ret-Doc

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Goodnight 318 CPAP Machine
We don,t seem to have the manual for Goodnight 318 google search led me to this info
'There is a small screw underneath a sticker on the back of the machine
You simply turn the screw one way to raise and the other way to lower the air'

As for smoke, let the machine run for an hour or two in a dry place and get a new filter
If still smell of smoke, follow your wife advice and throw it in the trash bin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ret-doc,
The only thing I can think of to do is to clean it as best you can and then let it set a while and air out. Don't know if that will help, but hang in there for more suggestions.
Good luck and oh, BTW, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2014, 04:40 PM)zonk Wrote: We don,t seem to have the manual for Goodnight 318 google search led me to this info
'There is a small screw underneath a sticker on the back of the machine
You simply turn the screw one way to raise and the other way to lower the air'

As for smoke, let the machine run for an hour or two in a dry place and get a new filter
If still smell of smoke, follow your wife advice and throw it in the trash bin
Okay, you are a hero!!!
I found the tiny screw and got the pressure up. It only moves in increments of whole numbers (no fractions) but is better now.
About the smell...
I changed the filter and swabbed out what I could get to, but by removing the sticker, I accessed a large vent/port to blow air through it from the back.
You have helped me in both concerns. Thank You so much!!
Ret-Doc

(03-23-2014, 04:41 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi ret-doc,
The only thing I can think of to do is to clean it as best you can and then let it set a while and air out. Don't know if that will help, but hang in there for more suggestions.
Good luck and oh, BTW, WELCOME! to the forum.!

Thank You for your reply. Another person has solved my airflow problem and hopefully others can supply other wisdom on that smoky thing.

I have been a member since May or June of '13 but have gained a lot of help here. Thank You, Ret-Doc
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with what has been said. Clean as best you can without shorting out the electronics. Let it air dry. Then install a new filter and let it run for several hours. Install another new filter. Try it. If it is still smokey, chuck it.

It sounds like there may be no pressure or flow measuring device that you can read. If this is the case and you want to try it, I would definitely fit a manometer to it so you can read the pressure so you will at least have some idea what you are doing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2014, 05:12 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I agree with what has been said. Clean as best you can without shorting out the electronics. Let it air dry. Then install a new filter and let it run for several hours. Install another new filter. Try it. If it is still smokey, chuck it.

It sounds like there may be no pressure or flow measuring device that you can read. If this is the case and you want to try it, I would definitely fit a manometer to it so you can read the pressure so you will at least have some idea what you are doing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

PaytonA,
Your advice is sound and probably spot-on.
Changing the filter is easy and it has a pressure meter that seems to accurate. Someone told me how to adjust the pressure and it worked fine.

I don't need this machine, but saw "toning it up" as a challenge.
I hate to throw it away, because I know there are people out there that could use it. I will probably keep it for a back up if I can get the smell of smoke out of it.
Thank You again,
Ret-Doc
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you could also try is to get one of those "moldy closet" things. Put it and the cpap in a sealed bag and see if that helps. But only if the closet de-stinker doesn't have a perfumy smell of its own. Covering one smell with another just makes it worse. Heck, a plastic bag and several boxes of Arm and Hammer might work, too!

You could contact a company that cleans things after a fire or flood and see what they recommend. It's what they do for a living so they probably have a few tricks up their sleeves.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2014, 11:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: One thing you could also try is to get one of those "moldy closet" things. Put it and the cpap in a sealed bag and see if that helps. But only if the closet de-stinker doesn't have a perfumy smell of its own. Covering one smell with another just makes it worse. Heck, a plastic bag and several boxes of Arm and Hammer might work, too!

You could contact a company that cleans things after a fire or flood and see what they recommend. It's what they do for a living so they probably have a few tricks up their sleeves.

The Arm & Hammer idea has eluded me until you mention it. I will try that.

Smoke damage people? I bet they have a solution for every disaster!!

Thank You,

Ret-Doc
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone know where I can find a water chamber for my GoodKnight 318? Short story shorter, My husband melted mine. Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eglossip,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You nmight look at the suppliers list at the top of each page here on the board and see if any of them have what you are looking for.
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 627 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,737 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.