Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] HDM Z1 Auto?
HDM Z1 Auto?
I'm always looking for a smaller travel CPAP and the HDM Z1 is appealing but reviews show a lot of disappointment. Specifically the noise level and difficulty upon exhalation (and sometimes inhalation too). Since the original reviews were posted they now have a newer Z1 Auto model. Are there any users who know if the noise issue has been addressed and if the pressure relief programming has been modified for greater comfory?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HDM Z1 Auto?
The Z1 Auto has been out a looooooooooog time. It is not a new development. And all the crap that was put on the Z1 applies equally to the Z1 Auto.

Now, along the way HDM did update the firmware for a different breathing Al Gore rhythm (for the life of me, I can't see that doofus dancing, but ...). I think they also finally gave up saying it was so super quiet and did start marketing a semi-disposable muffler that you would add between the machine and the hose so folks could sleep over all that quietness that sounded like a diesel big rig turbo spooling up with every breath.

In my opinion, by the time all that is said and done, you are not really saving much travel space. You have a collection of smaller components that make up a bigger assembly that really offers no beneft over a small all in one travel unit.

So I ditched mine (Z1) and got an S-8 Autoset II (still available new in box!) Older design, built like a tank, works extrasupurbular. But reasonably compact and all in one unit - not even a separate power supply(and I have been told by a reputable DME/tech that has disassembled both that comparing the Z1 to one of the Traditional machines is like comparing working on a Yugo vs a BMW). Also in the same mold as the S-8 would be the DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto.

Some folks will tell you size doesn't matter. But I am told that is a myth....

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FrogLick,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I strongly considered a small travel option like the Z1 but after researching it here and elsewhere I decided that simply travelling with my home unit (A10), given it is not that large and is not that heavy and fits in a nice buffered travel case, was the right choice for me. Since you are using your home unit when doing this no compromises or changes are necessary to your therapy.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My current travel machine is an S-8, I like that it doesn't require a separate power brick, and it works well. Considering that the Z1 requires a power brick the size & weight isn't better and the other "issues" would seem to eliminate it as a replacement contender.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Z1 Family since they came out and I wouldn't travel with anything else. I travel 35-45 weeks a year by plane so the weight and size are a big deal to me.

To answer your specific question. The Z1 Auto at the APAP-2 setting is a comfortable to breath and exhale as my PR System 1.

Noise, yes they are noisy because of the small high speed blower. I used mine for years and slept just fine. Then HDM came out with the Q-Tube and that in my opinion makes the machine quiet enough for most people and sleeping partners.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  auto turn on is off? (oooh, auto turn on...!) hegel 10 2,216 05-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dreamstation Auto SV VS Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV auto EPAP RLSdss 3 1,836 12-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How to go from Fixed to Auto Pressure - Dreamstation CPAP Auto pumpkin 2 1,194 11-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed AirSense 10 [how to turn auto/on auto/off feature off?] IsrvChrist 3 19,509 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.