Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Had it with lip leaks - going FFM
RE: Had it with lip leaks - going FFM
That device looks interesting although kinda flawed. It assumes folks won't snore if you keep their mouth closed. Probably would work for folks who just snore but won't work if someone has sleep apnea.

But it may work for folks who leaks air through their lips. Interesting concept for that direction, yes. But at $50 USD, it's an expensive thing to try. If the FFM doesn't work out, I'll give it a go.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaulaO2,

Perhaps key to all FFM is to keep the two top straps equal length, on left and right sides, when adjusting it. And similarly, to keep the two bottom straps equal length, on left and right sides.

My own experience with the Mirage Quattro is that I needed to use a ResMed Gecko nose protector anti-leak gel pad, or my nose would get chewed up by the mask, and there would be big leaking into my eyes. Using the Gecko allowed me to adjust the mask farther from my face, reducing pressure on my nose bridge, while also stopping all leaking near my eyes. I think the Gecko is $16 from Supplier #2 on our Supplier List.

ResMed suggests the Gecko will last for 30 days, but I usually got 2 or more months from each one. Eventually the Gecko gets too soft and stretchy to work well. I would use the original clear plastic container to store the Gecko in as soon as I removed it in the morning.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will add to what Vaughn said. I have found on my face that the tighter I make the bottom straps, the further out I can adjust the bridge of the nose end of the mask reducing the pressure on the nose and vice versa.

The blog on Taming the Mirage Quattro is a good reference for fitting the MQ. Good luck with your search.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried taping my mouth over the last couple of nights, so I can get some data without leaks.
I don't mind the tape to much and I certainly don't mouth breathe, however I'm not planning to do it for very long. Just trying to establish where I'm leaking from.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Taping is dangerous, but if you're going to do it for goodness sake make sure you fold over the edges so you have a flap to grab in case you need to tear it off. You could suffocate on your own vomit, or if the grid goes down.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am sensitive/allergic to adhesives so no way I am taping my mouth. Add in the general unsafety of it (in my opinion) and it is not an option.

I am not even sure I could use the Gecko pads because of my reaction to sticky stuff.

___

What about the air flow on my face? Is the experience I had with the Liberty going to be repeated?

It is looking like going with my local DME is the best option, even if I don't like them. I'll give Bless His Heart Ron a call Monday.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I had problems with my bite and teeth as well, you will probably think me nuts but to keep my bottom teeth from crushing my top I willed/placed my tongue to my front top teeth pressing to the roof of my mouth. Believe it or not my tongue stays there all night and has stopped my teeth problem. I look at my tongue the next morning and I see all my top teeth grooved into my tongue, this goes away after a few hours, but it solved my problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried that. Someone else here used that method for something else. I've used gum, too, between my tongue and teeth. My bottom teeth are loose but intact, but my four front teeth are basically gone. Gum issues are a problem with another condition I have so between the two, they were doomed. Having to sleep on my back has helped them some since my bottom jaw doesn't drop forward.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
My new small Quattro Mirage will be sent Friday, arrive probably Monday. Bless His Heart Ron was not there so I spoke to Got a Slightly Better Clue Mitch.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,

Very appropriate name labels I'm sure. Smile

I use the QM in a medium and have always thought I should have a small but haven't tried it yet.

I need a favor please. Would you please measure from the center of your level nose area to the crease (valley) on your chin (mouth closed) and tell me what it measures. I measure 2 7/8 inches (73 mm) between those points. I wish ResMed would publish some measurements so we could order with some degree of confidence rather than have to buy and try/fail.

By level nose area, I mean from bottom tip to the point where it dives down to the bridge between your eyes. In better words, the center of where you would like the top of the mask cushion to rest.

Anyone else wanting to post their measurements versus their Quattro Mirage mask size, please do so.

Information like this could help others I'm sure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 461 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 378 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 152 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 571 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 940 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 387 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,057 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.