Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Had it with lip leaks - going FFM
RE: Had it with lip leaks - going FFM
Thanks for that PaytonA, That's close to my measurement so perhaps I will try a small size next time but it appears that I can probably get by with a medium until then.

Best regards,
Dude

ps. Send the bill to ResMed since they should be providing the mask measurements instead of you. :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using a MED myself, and am also wondering if I would do better or worse with a small? I've got some 90 days before my next free mask.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter,

I am guessing because I can not find a mask fit template for the Quattro Air that you use. If it is the same as the Mirage Quattro then you could measure your face from the horizontal crease between your chin and lower lip to the bridge of your nose adjacent to the corner of your eye. If it is 3.5" it would be a small Mirage Quattro. If it is 3.75" it would be a medium. Resmed says, if the measurement is in the middle, go to the smaller size.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Here ya go.

[Image: measure_zpsdf6dba4e.jpg]
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a bunch Paula! That's what I needed. I have compiled a list of the various sizes of the Quattro Mirage mask with the corresponding cushion measurements from top center to bottom center of the cushion surface, as shown on the graphic below. The fit range is +- 5 mm except for the large which has a range of +- 7 mm..

Xsmall = 75 mm. (3")
Small = 85 mm. (3 3/8")
Med. = 95 mm. (3 3/4")
Large = 107 mm. (4 1/2")

That may help folks to decide which size would suit them best without having to resort to printing out the template. Given the high cost of the mask and the fact that each size cushion requires a matching housing size, it's important to get it right the first time.

[Image: 10fntdh.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 11:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Peter,

I am guessing because I can not find a mask fit template for the Quattro Air that you use. If it is the same as the Mirage Quattro then you could measure your face from the horizontal crease between your chin and lower lip to the bridge of your nose adjacent to the corner of your eye. If it is 3.5" it would be a small Mirage Quattro. If it is 3.75" it would be a medium. Resmed says, if the measurement is in the middle, go to the smaller size.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Am sorry - I rotate between the F-10 (small), Quattro Air (small), Mirage Quattro (med) - It seems that the F-10 is too small and perhaps a MED in it would be better? The Mirage Quattro seems a bit too big (in MED) and perhaps a small would be better?

And the Quattro Air is my favorite (small), but I randomly wake up with the lower edge in my mouth - again, perhaps a MED might be better?

/sigh

These are all so damn spendy, I just don't know which way to punt next? I have *one* free mask choice coming up in 3 months (am told one new mask every six months).

I do find the Mirage Quattro to be the best "bolt-on", won't move mask. But in the current (MED) size, it feels so close to my eyes - which is why I am wondering if trying it in a small might be better? Or will I then randomly wake up with the bottom edge in my mouth? (Forget chin-straps for me, can't do them and have tried!)

Like Paula states above, I'd love to go nasal or pillows but the 'hissing' (see her description) leaks lower the effectiveness of my treatment.

Last week on FFM = AHI of '2' or less

Last week long use of the 'Wisp' = AHI of 10-25...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Pete, The single biggest problem I find with the Mirage Quattro mask is that ResMed insists that for a proper fit it should land right on the nose bridge between the eyes and that just doesn't work for all noses.

Some noses do not run straight in a single plane and the best place for a mask to seal properly may require a size smaller (maybe even two sizes smaller) mask than would be selected using their template. In those instances, the mask will need to be installed lower on the face to prevent leakage around the nose and into the eyes.

I consider it cruel of them to design this item so that a different size cushion requires a different mask frame. Greed may have played a part in that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point there~! Like I said, am running out of ideas personally...

Post Reply Post Reply
This picture will illustrate what I was talking about above:

[Image: 2evexr8.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the mirage Quattro. I found I was having the dry mouth problem using that mask. My solution has been to use a Pad-a-cheek cover on the mask. I do not trim the padacheek to fit. What happens is that the extra material just covers my lips. Keeps my mouth shut for the most part.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 446 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 364 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 146 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 561 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 914 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,047 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.